Why a it makes sense this year to have a 4S as the lower selling point.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, Sep 26, 2011.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I know there's a lot of confusion and speculation about what exactly we'll see when Apple finally does announce the next iPhone, but one thing most people seem to struggle with is why Apple would have an upgraded phone spec wise as their lower priced, entry level phone this year instead of just keeping the iPhone 4. The answer seems quite obvious.

Right now Apple is producing TWO versions of the iPhone 4. The first is the GSM version, the second is a CDMA version. While the CDMA version actually does contain a "world" chip, it doesn't contain a SIM slot within the hardware. Therefore, if Apple were to continue pumping out TWO different versions they would be required to maintain two seperate assembly lines.

Now if they redesign the iPhone 4 as to allow for one "World" version iPhone 4 and then give it the A5 they will actually save some money by streamlining production for the entry level iPhone (enough money to offer it at a cheaper price point and still make money).

Don't count out something better than an "S" for this year.

2. theperipheral macrumors 6502

I believe that they will keep producing the A4 processor for a new iPhone 4 device that works on (at least) Verizon and ATT. That way, they'll only be producing ONE iPhone 4 as opposed to two.

Then, I'm thinking they'll release a brand new iPhone 5.

It could be wrong, but I definitely don't believe they'd upgrade the iPhone 4's internals and sell that as the discounted phone...that's something they've never done.

3. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

The thing is, it actually may be cheaper for them to streamline than keeping the old chip.

4. theperipheral macrumors 6502

It could be. And they haven't done anything to their "normal" plan this year, so they very well could do something that nobody would expect like that. It would absolutely amaze me, though. If they did put an A5 into the 4 and sold it as a downgraded model, then they'd absolutely HAVE to throw out a redesigned 5.

5. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

6. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    IP4 + an A5 does not sound bad at all.. compared to the trusted 3GS

7. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

You don't need two assembly lines to make 2 different versions. It can be one assembly line with different parts. Automakers make different cars on the same assembly line all the time.

When I worked for GM years ago we made Chevy's, Pontiac's, Buick's and Oldsmobile's one after the other on the same same assembly line.