Why Acid Attacks Have Doubled in the UK

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 17, 2017.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/why-acid-attacks-have-doubled-in-the-uk?utm_source=keywee
    that is crazy. put them perps in a rope.

2. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

3. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

hack them up and put them there?

4. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

That works too.

Wheelie Bins have been mentioned as a means of defense in use of force threads in PRSI.

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

What the hell is wrong with people.

Spraying dozens with acid to disfigure them. Gunning down school children. Driving trucks through crowds. Mass beheadings.

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Acid to the face... what a heinous way to injure someone. The poor victims are then permanently disfigured and are reminded every time they look in the mirror.

I saw an old episode of Law and Order SVU last week where this promiscuous guy/rapist goes around infecting people with HIV. One of his victims sprays with acid in the court room in retribution for raping her and infecting her with HIV.

I didn't realize how common acid attacks are. Over 400 in the UK last year... that's crazy.

7. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

After this, would not be surprised if ISIS uses it in future attacks.
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2017 ---
    Or the thousands of women acid attacked in ME. :(

8. jerwin macrumors 65816

Ahem. The Vice article states

So, let's stop trying to link this to middle easterners, shall we?

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

They'll probably use alkaline chemicals, because they only have basic weapons. *rimshot*

10. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Irrespective of where it may come from it sounds like more of a gang thing now. 66% of the attacks were on men.

33% of attacks were in Newham in London which only has about 0.5% of the UKs population so I imagine there are some hints to be gained from that.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-39328233

11. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Just as bad.

This level of world violence is depressing. :(

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Same is happening in Italy, latest case involved Gessica Notaro, a former model. She is so optimist and full of energy, a true inspiration. Boyfriend from Capo Verde was mad that she was breaking with him.

[​IMG]

13. Zwopple macrumors regular

Acid attacks probably never result in "attempted murder" convictions that would come from a brutal assault or a gunshot wound and thus if you want a pretty sure way to ruin someones life and do the least amount of time in prison it's a good option?

Not advocating at all, they probably need to tweak some laws to make acid attacks as bad on the books as attempted murder, I know I'd rather be shot and lose a limb than take acid to the face.

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Ugh, what a comparison. While I'd rather have neither, I think I'd take acid over a gunshot. A bullet hitting a critical organ or vein can result in nearly certain death. Acid is terrible, painful, and permanent, but I suppose the odds of death are much lower.

If anything, I think this shows that the UK's strict gun laws do work to some extend. I would think these gangs would use guns and bullets if those were easily available to them. Yes violent criminals will always find a way to be violent, and anyone can be violent with sticks and stones if they have to, but still the fact they aren't using guns is some kind of improvement.