Why all the complaining about the higher upgrade fee? Have you heard of ebay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, Jun 12, 2009.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Or Craigslist?

Just sell your iPhone 3G on ebay or Craigslist for $400-$500 or so. You can use that towards buying the 3GS.

The 3G is actually worth a ton of money to people overseas.

So why would anyone complain?

If AT&T had a brain, they would offer to let you upgrade for the same price by simply mailing them back your old iPhone 3G to them or giving it back to them in store. The 3G is worth more than the $300 it costs them to upgrade you for the lower price.

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

That takes more effort than whining for free money.

3. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Okay then, how about cashforiphones.com or a similar website that takes no effort to sell your iphone 3G to.

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That's what I'm doing. I'm selling my 16GB 3G for 400€/450€ and then buying the the 16GB 3GS for 500€.

5. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Good.

I'm actually seeing a lot of unlocked iPhone 3Gs on craigslist in my area. Almost tempted to get one so I don't need a contract like I do with the 3GS.

I suggest that others do the same. It takes maybe 40 seconds to list it on craigslist.

6. Senn macrumors member

sold my 8gb 3G for $450..pre ordered a 16GB 3G S for $422 with tax.

did the same thing last year from original to 3G

people that bitch are just completely unresourceful

7. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

8. matt550 macrumors 6502

Thats what I did. I sold my white 16GB 3G on ebay for $350 ordered black 16GB 3GS FOR $399. After tax I pay $75 out of my pocket for the upgrade.

I could have gotten more for my 3G if it was in better shape. Dust under screen, scuff in corner from a drop, scratches on the back.

9. Bookmonke macrumors newbie

Sold my unlocked scratched up black 16G 3g on Craigslist for $335 and bought the new one that evening at AT&T store for $299 plus tax, I'm happy, pick up Friday morning.

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

Exactly! People are complaining for NO reason. Think SMART and sell your 3G on eBay (like the rest of the us did). I got 375 off my 8GB two weeks ago, and I'll be getting the 16GB white for 399. I'm spending nearly 50 bucks to upgrade to it. The only bad thing is that they're adding an extra 2 years to your contract, but if you plan on being on AT&T forever - like myself - I don't mind.

11. outphase macrumors 65816

They actually only add 2 years from the day you renew.

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

iPhones that are unlocked always will sell for more too. I think I can fetch at least $500 when I sell my 3G unlocked.

13. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Hm, I probably should have waited to update to 3.0 so I could unlock my 3G and sell it online. Not that I really care, the 3GS doesn't have any new features that I need, but it would have been nice to get a new phone for free essentially.

Although, according to the AT&T rep I talked to over the phone I have the option to upgrade to a 3GS for $199 somehow. I'm still not sure if its worth the extra cost, though.

Edit: I guess I could just sell mine on cashforiphones.com for $175 and pay the extra $25 for a new one. That seems reasonable.

14. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

I sold my first gen phone on ebay. It took two listings because the winning bidder in the first listing was from Russia, and yes, I did put US only in my ad. After some back and forth with the buyer, I still decided to cancel the sale. I finally sold it in the US for a lesser price, but it was still a good transaction.

I have less than 20 sales so Paypal holds the funds until either the phone is delivered or the buyer leaves positive feedback. The buyer's address was not verified. Paypal claimed he could verify it, but he claimed he couldn't. It was a mess.

So I'm nervous about going through that again. Should I still attempt to sell overseas, and if so, what should the minimum requirements be to approve the sale? Should I keep it in the US - but I can't figure out why someone here would want to buy this phone from me rather than a new one for $200.

Can this phone really be unlocked for other US carriers?

15. kleinishere macrumors member

I agree with the point of this post. I sold my 16GB white iPhone 3G for $570 on eBay, made ~$475 after shipping, fees, etc., and it was well worth the effort. Now I'm going to go ahead and get a 32GB iPhone 3GS and probably do the no commitment pricing as I may leave the country for a year after next summer, when my contract is originally set to expire from the date of buying the iPhone 3G. Did the same thing w/ the original iPhone and walked away w/ more money than I started with the rebate and whatnot. eBay is a great idea for those who really want to upgrade.

16. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

The fact is, in Germany and France and such, contracts are illegal, having a phone carrier lock you up to them is illegal. You can use any phone you want with any carrier you want, and switch at will. And thus no one offers subsides on phones. Their phone plans are a LOT cheaper there.

But at the same time, their phones are a lot more expensive since they have no subsidies, and high taxes. The 16gb iPhone 3G used to sell for 800 there. :eek:

So you can make a pretty penny selling it on ebay and such.

17. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

Dude, don't sell overseas. It way too much of a risk, but you do have potential of pulling in more $$$$. But the problem is that PAYPAL cannot have confirmed international addresses. I went through the same mess last year. I got lucky, but was sweating bullets thinking I may end up getting scammed. Just sell in the U.S.

Man, I listed my phone on Monday of this week and got $400 with multilple bids/users and the dumbass that won it, emailed me the next day saying his brother used the computer and used his EBAY. B.S!!!! Pissed me off, cause I had to relist it and got only $300 second time around.

18. mlad1101 macrumors regular

Anyone know the full retail price on the new ones?

19. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Never ever ever sell over seas, unless you personally know the person your selling it to. Personally I just asked around work and found a guy that wants my 8GB 3G with a cracked screen locked for 320. I have received payment to buy the 3G S for 199 and will hand over the 3G when I have the new one working.

20. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

You should have emailed the second and 3rd place bidders and said "Want a second chance?"

21. uneek1 macrumors regular

So if I sell my 2g on ebay, I should unlock it first? Am I allowed to list it as unlocked or is that against their ToS?

22. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I think Apple knows the value of used iPhones so they made it $399+

23. arykmax macrumors regular

Does cashforiphones.com really have a one business day turnaround or has anyone ever used them?

24. mlad1101 macrumors regular

Heres what I'm going to do.

Sell my 16gb 3g for $400-$450 on ebay.

Buy the new 32GB at full price($699?)

So ends up costing me $250-$299(Same price as qualified upgraders) for the new one without adding 2 years on to my contract. That way DEF eligible for the upgrade on the next one that comes out and for the $200 more I'm spending on it than the $499 price i qualify for now I dont have to give them 23 more months at 100+ a month. I think this way makes the most sense for people that don't qualify for the upgrade.