Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
As I'm becoming more of an Apple woman, I'm finding more and more hatred and debate from non-Apple users. Why is there so much opposition for Apple products, especially the iPad, when they're released?

:confused:

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
As I'm becoming more of an Apple woman, I'm finding more and more hatred and debate from non-Apple users. Why is there so much opposition for Apple products, especially the iPad, when they're released?

It's a new paradigm and it is going to be resisted by those who don't understand it. Plus it's simplicity goes against the technogeek culture and they are the ones most likely to be online and in forums talking about it.
I wonder if we will have a thread for apologies by all who said the iPad would be a huge failure if it didn't have their favorite feature. I'd like to see if they have the integrity to do that.

hualon

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
I'm getting really tired of having this exchange with people:

Me: "Yeah, I'm pretty excited. I'm getting an iPad on the 3rd."
Them: "You BOUGHT one of those things?!?"
Me: "Yes... and before you ask, BECAUSE I WANT ONE."

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Two categories of H8TRs:

1) Windows Fanboys who as a matter of principle don't like anything with an Apple on it the same way some Apple Fanboys can't stand anything with a MS or Windows logo.

2) Apple fans who like Apple not b/c its products are for the most part built on common sense but rather b/c it's not Microsoft. To them Apple is counter culture, but with the ascendancy of the iPod then iPhone, now iPad Apple is not only mainstream it's at the dreaded peak of pop culture. Apple isn't a garage company startup anymore, it's big business, and it has to act that way now, which they resent.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Me: "Yeah, I'm pretty excited. I'm getting an iPad on the 3rd."
Them: "You BOUGHT one of those things?!?"
Me: "Yes... and before you ask, BECAUSE I WANT ONE."

I've had this conversation a few times at work, but there is always one addendum from the other person:

*whisper* "Make sure you bring it to the office so I can check it out!"

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm glad there's a brand new thread of sweeping generalizations and the need to label people as either haters or fan bois.

Seriously - who cares if someone doesn't like what you like?

If everyone were the same - the world would be a very boring place.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada

It has been like that every time Apple entered a new market. Ipods/iPhones and now iPad.

Some simply can't grasp the new, until it is the familiar.

But for some others it seems borderline pathological. On a tech site I regular read my tech news at, the site staff dig up every negative spin story on Apple and post it in their forums and revel in it. The site owner actually said: "I have a dream.....of just slapping the first one of these out of the hands of the user and to the ground.".

You could probably do a masters paper in psychology on this fairly twisted mindset. I haven't quite figured it out. Maybe it is just how the extremes of male tech geekdom thump their chests. Sort of like soccer hooligans, but instead the pick enemy computer companies.

Spudracer

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2009

I'll venture an opinion based on my last three years living in the Apple ecosystem.
  1. Exclusivity - Apple is not trying to be all things to all consumers. They sell a premium experience to people who don't want to spend their life screwing with H/W and S/W. People who just want information appliances to work and are willing to pay for it make Apple a very profitable company. Unfortunately that excludes a bunch of people who would like to have the superior experience but just can't afford to pay for it. Those people purchase Vista/Win7 at Best Buy and live with it. Apple isn't losing any sleep over it. They are smart enough to not wallow in the low margin netbook end of the business with Dell & HP. This causes resentment by people dumb enough to think Apple owes them a seat in the bleachers for the playoffs.
  2. Change Is Scary - It's a Microsoft world. The vast majority of the planet has grown up on Microsoft / HP / Dell. The devil they know is less scary than the unknown (Apple). People are inherently resistant to change and risk averse. Cheap and familiar will often beat different and expensive. So, to rationalize their choice, people need to denigrate the other choice.
  3. Microsoft Doesn't Universally Suck (all the time) - There are many things you simply can't get in Apple's model of a closed ecosystem that you can get in Microsoft's open platform. The lack of solutions or competitive solutions is a killer for some people. And that's probably the most legitimate gripe although it comes with a lot of downside risk that Apple has chosen to shield its customers from.

Just one opinion.

Damian.

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009

Why do we care what others think?
Use what you like to use.

The end... :)

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
I think all the points made here are valid, but I'll add one more--that is, preconceived ideas. Apple tablet rumors were in the wind for years before the iPad was announced, and people developed a lot of really rigid ideas about what the device should be, or be able to do.

When the iPad didn't conform to these expectations, these people were disappointed.

Me, I'm rather excited about what the iPad will do, more so than what it won't.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It has been like that every time Apple entered a new market. Ipods/iPhones and now iPad.

Some simply can't grasp the new, until it is the familiar.

But for some others it seems borderline pathological. On a tech site I regular read my tech news at, the site staff dig up every negative spin story on Apple and post it in their forums and revel in it. The site owner actually said: "I have a dream.....of just slapping the first one of these out of the hands of the user and to the ground.".

You could probably do a masters paper in psychology on this fairly twisted mindset. I haven't quite figured it out. Maybe it is just how the extremes of male tech geekdom thump their chests. Sort of like soccer hooligans, but instead the pick enemy computer companies.

True. The same could be said about the fans of Apple that can't admit or preach the gospel according to Jobs, no?

For every detractor whose mission it might be to crush Apple, there's another one to vehemently defend Apple. Same for MS, and any fill_in_the_blank company/product.

pirateRACE

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
The reason people find Mac users as pretentious, arrogant snobs is because we are better than everyone else.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
True. The same could be said about the fans of Apple that can't admit or preach the gospel according to Jobs, no?

No.

In comparing an over-enthused fan, happy (too happy?) to get a new product, to someone twisted by hate, it shouldn't take a psychology degree to see which is more malignant. So I don't equate them at all.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No.

In comparing an over-enthused fan, happy (too happy?) to get a new product, to someone twisted by hate, it shouldn't take a psychology degree to see which is more malignant. So I don't equate them at all.

Yes. There are people who have unnatural and what would be considered UNHEALTHY obsessions about Apple and/or their devices.

You might not want to equate them - but that doesn't make it true.

And I have a psychology degree - thanks.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
I don't really care what people think of the things I choose to buy, it's no one else's business. I read a lot of anti-Apple threads on other forums and it's amusing watching FM's try and convince others that folks are idiots for wanting to buy an iPad - they get really passionate about it too! :D

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I understand there will be people that hate Apple products or hate the iPad, and I accept that.

BUT, I am confused as to why you read posts on here about people hating the iPad. I don't get why someone who hates the iPad would go to the effort of reading a macrumors forum about the iPad?? I see this all the time on here, people posting in the iPad forum about how it sucks and how terrible an idea it is, and how they would never get one. Then why would you go to an iPad forum and read posts about the iPad if you have no interest in it??

I don't really like PC's and microsoft products, but I wouldn't waste my time by finding a windows message board and criticizing windows people for using it.

Spudracer

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2009
I understand there will be people that hate Apple products or hate the iPad, and I accept that.

BUT, I am confused as to why you read posts on here about people hating the iPad. I don't get why someone who hates the iPad would go to the effort of reading a macrumors forum about the iPad?? I see this all the time on here, people posting in the iPad forum about how it sucks and how terrible an idea it is, and how they would never get one. Then why would you go to an iPad forum and read posts about the iPad if you have no interest in it??

I don't really like PC's and microsoft products, but I wouldn't waste my time by finding a windows message board and criticizing windows people for using it.

You apparently have way too little spare time. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.