Why all the hate towards the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chris66green, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Chris66green macrumors newbie

It seems to me that on sites like engadget that the comments section is filled with intense hatred for the iPhone, and apple in general. My question is why? Why do these people hate apple so much?

2. taedouni macrumors 65816

Some people tend to hate on things that they don't have to make themselves feel better

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Because they can't afford them? Because they're unenlightened? Mom & Pop were cousins?

4. Millah macrumors 6502a

Because its more fun to hate on the top dog and cheer for the underdog. It's irrational. And the ironic thing is, the people who have this mindset subconsciously do it to feel like a rebel or non-conformist, but they're still conforming to a group dogma just as bad if not worse than normal people. They're just parroting the opinions of all the other "non-conformists" out there.

You can't hate iPhone but love Android. It's just completely nonsensical. You are loving a product which has followed the language of the product you claim to hate. It's the same language in a different dialect.

But I also think its stupid to hate Android. If you enjoy iPhones, you'd probably enjoy an Android phone too, by that same logic. Android might not have the same quality and attention to detail, but it's not a BAD product. You may dislike Google for ripping off their former ally (all you need to do is look at Android demo videos from 2007 to see how it didn't even come close to functioning like an iPhone originally). But to hate the actual product is kind of stupid, because it works similarly to an iPhone, and has the same functional benefits of an iPhone (multitouch, apps, browser) even if they didn't actually invent the language. Apple invented the language, Google added a few new terms to its dictionary.

5. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

6. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Why do people hate the Miami Heat? It's jealously guys. I won't say the iPhone 4S is the best phone in the market but it sure is the most successful. And people hate on the iPhone because it's so easy to. I work at a TMO store and about 50% of the customers who come in ask for iPhones. Half of those ask me if they can use their unlock ones at TMO. And half of those come in with those fake iPhone imitators that go for $150 on eBay. Just so they can say, "I have an iPhone."

Without the iPhone, there would be no Android. Or at least what it has become today.

7. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

9. lilo777 macrumors 603

Nope. Because people are educated. They know that iPhones cost the same or less than the best Android phones (on contract). You, on the other hand, apparently do not know that. Have you heard that 1/3 of high schoolers have iPhones? iPhone has become a synonym of ubiquitous. Next step - it'll become a synonym of "cheap"

10. mbell1975, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Nah, thats reserved for Android and their $29 dumb phones they sell at grocery stores on month to month contracts LOL. Apple makes premium, quality products. Android is flooded with garbage handsets and the market with cheap apps that ruin your phone. Go back to your Android forum please.

11. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

That's their job to hate. Everyone has to make a Living some how!!

12. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Im sure this rivalry is enjoyed by both sides of users and manufacturers.

Generates interest and income !

Just look at the interest in this and other threads regarding similar conversations.

I personally don't hate 'android' , i just prefer not to purchase one.

;)

13. Chris66green thread starter macrumors newbie

They also seem to believe that anyone who is a fan of Apple is a delusional sheep. It gets irritating.:(

14. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

The iPhone used to be a good device but in recent months, Android along with Android 4.0 ICS has surpassed the iPhone. The only thing going for the iPhone is the apps but once that field levels out the iPhone will just be a regular phone and Apple can't just sparsely upgrade anymore to sell millions.

15. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

You mean the ICS thats been out for over 5 months but only 2.9% of all Android phones are running? LOL The same ICS that over 60% of Android phones still under a 2 year contract will never see? That ICS?

16. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I think it's hilariously ironic how Android lovers hate on the iPhone/Apple since 'everyone has one' and that 'we're all just conformists'... yet Android has a much larger market share (50%+ vs 30% according this article from a day ago). So... who're the ones conforming and following the crowd?

I personally like both OSs, but stick with iPhone mainly for its integration with my Macs and iPad. ICS looks pretty nice though.

17. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Because man as a general rule is a douche AND to get the fanbois going on both sides of the android/iOS debate going... much like this thread is designed to do the same.

18. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

I've spent hours with the Galaxy Nexus running ICS and really, it's more hype than anything. iOS is still tops.

19. matttye macrumors 601

That 50% is spread across hundreds if not thousands of smartphones running Android, of which a lot serve different purposes, from cheap feature phones to the powerhouses like sgs2 and galaxy nexus.

iPhones don't seem to be as popular as they used to be to me. I only know two people with one, meanwhile most people I know have android phones and the rest have blackberries these days! The "everyone has one" comment was valid two years ago but not so much now.

I can see the appeal of both OSes too, which is why I have both. They're both brilliant, just in different ways.

20. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

My comment isn't directed at you, Taedouni, per se, but I just wanted to address the implication of this sort of comment in general:

The implication that the iPhone is something difficult to get is absurd. Realize that there are Android handsets out there that are more expensive than an iPhone. If someone can afford a $299 Android device (there are a few at that price point) or a $199 Android device, then they can afford an iPhone. Even if people's budget only allows them to get more entry-level devices ($0 or $99) there are iPhone options in that range too.

I understand the reputation and branding of the iPhone; it's pretty much considered the "luxury" brand of smartphones, but the implication that it's hard to get is really absurd.

----------

Ditto.

21. pooleman, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I will put it like this....

For almost every hot girl there is a guy who is tired of sleeping with her. iPhone is the hot girl. Despite the fact that she is super hot a guy will eventually tire of her. These guys will usually find a "dog" to sleep with for a while before they look for another hottie. Android is the "dog.

I happen to be one of those guys that realized that the super hot girl also has a brilliant mind and is a lot of fun to be around. I will not get bored with her. I think I'm falling in love her.

22. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

The iPhones death is predicted every year and it never comes. Keep on dreaming.

23. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

It's not the phone people rag on, it's the smugness of the owners and their absolute worship of all things Apple and Steve.

24. blue43fan macrumors regular

Just follow my one simple rule: Don't read comments on Engadget. Or Youtube. Ok, that's two rules, but you get the idea. :rolleyes:

25. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

What are you 12?
    This has to be the most ignorant comment in this thread.
    The "their too poor" type of statements shows just how insecure some iPhone owners must really be.

Fact is a lot of Android owners can afford an iPhone. Many simply choose a device that fits their needs instead what is popular or "in".
    So really... grow up.