iPhone 8(+) Why am I receiving texts in airplane mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by s54, Jun 8, 2019.

1. s54 macrumors 6502

iPhone 8 on latest iOS.

I turned on airplane mode. Some 30 seconds later I got a text notification. Sure enough, a new legit text message came through. This happened several times by now.

Before you ask, I checked and confirmed that Bluetooth and WiFi and everything else was off.

I thought airplane mode turned off all antennas and completely disengaged the phone from all networks and communications.

2. now i see it macrumors 68040

I've noticed this too on older iPhone & older iOS.

3. s54 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like a bug. I'm on the latest iOS though. Otherwise, my phone works perfect and still at 100% battery health.

4. Cayden, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019

Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

It could be a bug, but I know airplane mode usually takes a while to fully turn off all the antennas and converters and everything (the hardware to control this stuff is very complex so it has to go through a semi-lengthy boot down process) and that notifications for text messages often take 10 to 20 seconds after they’re read in by the antenna to show up. It’s totally possible the message came in after you enabled airplane mode but before it fully turned on for the system, so you still got a notification for the text. With that said, if this happens often, it doesn’t seem that likely you’d just happen to get text messages right as you turn airplane mode on. Do the messages ever come in over 30 seconds after you enable airplane mode?

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

This was going to be my guess as well.

6. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

7. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

Could you have been connected to WiFi? I had airplane mode on while on my cruise last week, but got iMessages via the ship WiFi.