Why am I unable to add this 1 contact properly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by napy666, Jan 4, 2014.

1. napy666 macrumors newbie

I just got a iPhone5s for Christmas on Boost Mobile's service. I was able to add all of my contacts to my new iPhone5s except 1 contact refuses to submit. I added her to my contact's but when I send her a text message it shows her number instead of her name in the message box, and sending/receiving box. My friend is using a MyTouch Android by SimpleMobile. I have photos below demonstrating this issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Might be a silly question but you didn't name her "V" did you? Otherwise, I don't know why that's happening. Try a hard reset (hold top and home button until reset) to see if this persists.

3. napy666 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've listed her as V and Vanessa and done that and this problem still happens. I've resetted the phone, re-added the contact, deleted and restarted text message chats, still this problem continues to happen.

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Tried creating a new contact for her? Maybe there is an issue in which account it was made in.

5. mpantone macrumors 6502

It's possible that 'V' is some sort of special code or abbreviation used by iOS for the Address Book. I doubt that this is a problem with the addressee.

I suggest you rename this person as someone else, maybe by more complete initials (like 'VS'). If that works, then you know you've run into an idiosyncrasy in the iOS address book. Sadly I doubt if they will fix that just for you. You're better off accepting it and moving on with your life.

6. napy666 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have named it to Vanessa and same thing occurs. I have tried a reset and I am doing a full restore but know it isn't going to fix the issue.

Why would all other contacts work and not this 1?

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

common internet sense here, you might want to remove her number from your pictures. im sure she will be pretty upset know its its out there for random guys to text/call now.

are you using icloud for phone contacts only or using the phone memory or something else?

8. napy666 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to get in touch with Apple and the guy who helped me said it was something in the Cache settings that caused this issue, because the Cache was acting like it was saving the number instead of the name so it messed it all up for this 1 single contact. So I just erased all the settings on the phone and set it up as a new device and imported all my old contacts via Outlook and re-added this number and that name and number added correctly and my phone is working great! I am able to text my friend fine.

9. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Just a suggestion, but you've got some pretty weird contact names there.

iOS has specific fields within contact records for describing things like a person's company, their job description, nickname etc. You can search for any of these fields when you type something in the search bar.

With these fields defined, my contact list looks clean.

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601