Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Curious as to why Apple bundles iTunes and QuickTime for Windows together? I have an answer for you. The primary reason for bundling the two for Windows is that iTunes for Windows requires QuickTime, and not all Windows users have QuickTime installed. Fear not, though, for those of you who want QuickTime alone, and not iTunes: checking the QuickTime download page, I see a choice called "Win 98/Me/2000/XP" above another choice called "Win 2000/XP QuickTime+iTunes Combo" - the first choice would be what you are looking for: QuickTime by itself. Apple has not done the same bundling with the Mac version since all Macs have QuickTime installed and iTunes for Mac doesn't require the LATEST QuickTime like iTunes for Windows does.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
wrldwzrd89 said:
Apple has not done the same bundling with the Mac version since all Macs have QuickTime installed and iTunes for Mac doesn't require the LATEST QuickTime like iTunes for Windows does.
No iTunes for Mac doesn't require the latest Quicktime except if you want all the new features of iTunes 4.5.

Also, Quicktime on a Mac will get updated by Software Update, so Mac users will know there is a new version of Quicktime when one is available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.