iPad Why Apple or other manufacters are all so stingy on providing a stylus?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 12091449, Jan 23, 2015.

1. 12091449 macrumors newbie

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

3. 12091449 thread starter macrumors newbie

i want a stylus that can be as good as samsung tablet's or surface pro's

4. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

In Apple's case, who knows. Maybe the pen digitizer would make the tablet too thick, and we know Apple puts form over any sort of function these days.

In the case of other manufacturers imitating Apple, the keyword is 'imitate'.

If you want a pen really badly, buy a Surface Pro 3 or a Cintiq Companion. The Cintiq especially, if you're any level of artist.

5. 12091449, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015

12091449 thread starter macrumors newbie

want my iPad to replace my 8 heavy notebooks i carry to school everyday for my 8 different subjects
    If the next IPAD comes with a stylus that would be fantastic...all i need is one iPad + 'OneNote'

6. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

You could also get away with a Jot pen, or other thirdparty pens, but they're not going to replace an integrated-style pen. But it can be a decent compromise.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Because most people don't want them, and for the minority that do they can go out and buy one.

If you go back and look at the keynote when the original iPhone came out they made a big deal about it not requiring a stylus, I doubt they'll go back on that.

8. Command macrumors regular

Command

Since they're $4 for 10 on eBay, I have to agree.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

God didn't give you 10 styluses for nothing. Use them.

10. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

Don't need one, don't want one. If I did I think I could afford $5 to buy them rather than sitting around whining about it. Youngster wants free stuff I guess cause they are too cheap to buy it themselves.

11. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

If Apple wanted to spend $1 for stylus on each of their iPads, I rather have them add extra 1 GB RAM instead.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Couple of years back I had a note10 the stylus came out once. As above some will use it some won't.

13. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Why Apple or other manufacters are all so stingy on providing a stylus?

hah! havent you read any of the latest complains about styluses not working with air2? And the reason for that or manufacturers explanations? (like wacom/adonit)

iPad has a cheap panel, low tech level and not until apple adds more money to the technology in the panel (instead of getting only max incomes) and finally applies some tech supporting stuff for a pen, then you got a pen that works... until then, get something else...

Some pens work better, some dont work at all... and now none of the existing styluses work well with air2. if you want a tablet to use with a pen, get a tablet having a support and technology for a pen. you wont get a good pen experience with existing ipads because all of them lack of this kind of technology. the panel in ipads is just a basic "use your finger to tap"-style...

14. 12091449 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have bought 3 different styluses for my IPAD, the last one (bamboo) cost me GBP 20, about 40 us dollar i think
    that was not cheap but it is completely different thing comparing to those i wanted (THINKPAD stylus, surface pro, and samsung note stylus which you probably find it same as writing with a real pen on real paper.

15. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

No stylus can replicate writing on paper with a pen. Buy a notepad and a nice pen, then digitise your notes with an app like Scanner Pro. Don't have to worry about the battery running out, it's a much nicer experience and you can still look at your notes on your iPad.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sounds like you should get a different tablet.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Why not just use one notebook for all of your classes and use an app to scan them in at the end of the day? You can probably get away with a much lighter notebook then as well since it just needs enough paper to last you the day and then you can always get another one.

18. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Even if the ipad came with a stylus you'd find it smallish for pen work. Your needs are right in the surface wheelhouse. There are several digital textbooks providers who support windows. The ipad is a great device, it does not provide an acceptable pen experience, no matter how much you are wiling to pay for third party products.

As to the posters who consistantly confuse the quality of a capacitative pen vs and active digitizer--you are either pathetically uniformed or disingenuos

----------

This may have been true as little as two years ago, but now there are several very good pen options. That said, this is not a bad workflow solution

19. 12091449, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015

12091449 thread starter macrumors newbie

not true for pressure sensitive stylus, if you have ever tried you will defo want it to be part of your IPAD.
    i have just found the name of this kind of styluses.

----------

like i just said
    if you ever tired a pressure sensitive stylus, you will definitely want it to be part of your IPAD.

----------

20. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

The panel lacks of this kind of technology, so apple should redesign the whole panel. will that happen? i doubt... if they do something like that, i think it will be a new product line.

they just change the air2 panel and they did it on a way that using a stylus with air2 is more difficult and also for manufacturers to build a pen that works than it was earlier. you can try how the new panel works with your finger tip, when it just lightly touches the screen (just a tiny area), then try to scroll up and down on some webpage. it doesnt work well always and you actually may see that the screen doesnt even recognize your finger and you can slide your finger few centimeters until the page starts scrolling again. the reason is the new way to improve the battery life - being in the standby state often and refreshing less often the panel to recognize if something is touching it. now when use a stylus (e.g. fine tip) the same thing happens and the panel doesnt recognize the tip touching it at all. air2 is in the standby state more often than any other ipads, and it is causing the issue. this is also the reason why dumb fat pens work better than expensive bt styluses.

companies like wacom and adonit are working hard to get their pens working again with air2, but i doubt will current styluses ever work well with air2 or can they even build a new stylus that will work. they have already released couple of sdks for app developers, but they are still struggling with the issue.

the new panel thing only let you imagine that apple doesnt want to support styluses and manufacturers... so why would they ever make their own?

21. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Difficulty is irrelevant. There isn't mass demand for them. You wouldn't get a stylus for free. Everyone would have to pay more. Instead you just buy a stylus if you need/want one.

Incorrect. You can't just assume that everyone wants what you want. People vary.