Why are 3GS iPhones still selling at a premium on eBay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by illiniry, Jun 9, 2010.

1. illiniry macrumors member

illiniry

There are seemingly lots of 3GS iPhones still being auctioned off on eBay for upwards of $250-300, but I don't have a clue why. Can someone please explain why people are willing to pay so much when the retail price is already lower?

As I understand it, unlocked and jail broken phones fetch a higher price but these are regular, used phones like the one I currently have. Why wouldn't I just sell my phone, keep the SIM card and then get iPhone 4 for basically nothing? Seems too good to be true, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. Thanks.

2. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

retail price for iphones are not $200/300.. they are $600-700. Many people look to get used iphones because they are not due for an upgrade and it would still be cheaper to get an "expensive" used phone than a new one at full, non-contract prices.

3. spicyj macrumors member

When you buy it at the retail price, it comes with a contract. You need to instead compare the eBay prices to the no-commitment prices that you pay to get the phone without service. ($400 more than the subsidized price.)

4. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

There will always be a market for unlockable, no contract iPhones for people who either don't wanna deal with the hassle for cancelling their service or are getting a better price by buying it online (iPhone 3GS= $99+$36 activation+$70 first month's service+$325 ETF+taxes on all of it).

5. illiniry thread starter macrumors member

illiniry

I was planning on trying to get rid of my 3GS before prices drop when the new phone comes out, can I keep the SIM card in it and sell the phone and then put the card in iPhone 4 and keep my same data plan?

6. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Keep the SIM, it is has no use for the buyer.

No, you will receive a new Microsim with the iPhone 4.

Dave