Why are 90% of the 13" screens perfect, but 80% of the 15" screens yellow and uneven?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaclandValhalla, Nov 12, 2013.

1. MaclandValhalla macrumors member

MaclandValhalla

Why are 90% of the 13" retina screens perfect, but 80% of the 15" retina screens yellow and uneven?

Some people are speculating that Apple is planning on releasing another 15" retina product relatively soon. The theory is that the increased demand for 15" screens is forcing Apple to use screens that are otherwise beneath their standards.

Could Apple be planning on releasing another 15" Macbook Pro Retina as soon as Broadwell comes out?

2. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Even for a troll post, this is impressively stupid.

3. Branskins macrumors 65816

Isn't Broadwell delayed until late next year? I don't think a Broadwell refresh is right around the corner.

Where are you seeing these rumors?

4. MaclandValhalla thread starter macrumors member

MaclandValhalla

It was another Apple forum that I was using while this forum was down. Are we allowed to post links?

5. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

13 inch owners are casual users who do Facebook, surfing, videos etc - if they get a yellow screen or something they don't care/dont know any different/think its normal

15 inch owners are nerds who know what the specs mean etc, and can distinguish a defect more easily

6. MaclandValhalla thread starter macrumors member

MaclandValhalla

I hadn't considered this as an explanation at all. :eek: 15" owners have higher expectations because they paid and expect more.

Still, I haven't heard a single story of a yellow 13" model.

7. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Not much yellow screens on a 13" because they are mostly LG's.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have absolutely zero facts to support your claims. You have no idea what percentage of screens are perfect or imperfect. You only have your uninformed impressions and assumptions.

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That's definitely not true. Some of us on here have the 13-inch and are serious/power users.

But based off all the feedback provided on this forum, it does seem that the 13" screens are having less problems. Maybe because they are LG?

10. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

I think it is because the color-shifts (aka, yellow tinted corners) has to do with IPS-angle shifts. These angle-shifts are more extreme on the 15'' screens (simply because they are larger) and create a more pronounced color-shift in comparison to the 13'' screens.

That is my theory - but I am probably wrong. :)

Anyways, I have yet to see a 15'' or 13'' that did NOT have some noticeable color-shift in the bottom left corner (though some had more mild color-shift, while others more extreme). And I have looked at over 20 screens.

11. RngRngBananaRam macrumors newbie

Plenty of 13" owners are obsessed with image retention. I wouldn't say they're unable to notice defects.

It does seem like the different sizes come with their own flaws.

12. Zodiac.mj macrumors member

Fortunately I have LG in my new machine, no yellow tint and image retention (tested with the same screen image for 10 hours). Got LG on 1st gen and had it replaced, also to LG. After replacement it was fine for about 7 months, until I sold it. So I think IR problems are gone on LG panels.

13. mthos macrumors member

How you come by these accurate percentages is amazing! lol.

I'm sure if 80% of sold 15" Macbook Pro's were yellow and/or uneven screens there would be a bit more media attention on it.

That being said, Broadwell was pushed back a quarter already. The earliest refresh you'd be looking at for Broadwell would be June/July.

14. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

I thought I had the yellowing too but it seems its just a color shift since when I look at it straight on I can't see it.

Is this normal ?:)

15. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Yes.

16. ElliottG macrumors member

That is a highly obtuse comment and I can guarantee you that there is no yellowing in my screen at all...even though I am only "a 13" user" as you would put it.

17. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

So far 100% of the Retina screens I've seen have been perfect.

That includes mine, and two others I saw at the store. :rolleyes:

18. MacMojo1 macrumors member

my new mbp 15 late 2013 has perfect color and uniformity

19. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

my original rmbp 15 inch from october 2013 has a perfect screen

20. Breedlove macrumors regular

My 13"
    Replacing it tomorrow....

Attached Files:

21. MaclandValhalla thread starter macrumors member

MaclandValhalla

22. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

A picture's worth a thousand faulty displays... :p

23. lg251 macrumors 6502

I hope it's the picture that does not render it well, because I do not see any problems with it.

Note that I'm currently looking at the picture on ThinkPad at my job.