Why are companies still allowed to sell snake oil?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Jan 23, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

This is something that really strikes a nerve with me. I absolutely despise companies that knowingly defraud customers. The best example of that are snake oil manufacturers. Companies such as NexGen Biolabs based in Florida. Mind you, there is nothing about this company that involves a lab. They sell products that will pretty much make you superman, and they pay for fake 5-star reviews on amazon. I recently filed a complaint with amazon and ratted them out, from what I understand their products could very well be off of amazon in 5 days. The rep seemed pretty sure of it. If not, I will be very disappointed with amazon for condoning this nonsense.

Here is a link to the BBB website where a customer filed a complaint about all their fake reviews on amazon. The company replied with a DEFAMATION LAWSUIT THREAT against the amazon customer for voicing their complaints. They're not just crooks, they're ballsy too!

My question is, how is it that in these times of increasing business litigation and frivolous lawsuits and customer protection laws, how are companies still allowed to sell a pill that people ingest into themselves that has not been evaluated by the FDA? On top of that, they make false advertising claims and openly sell their crap and get away with it!! How???

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Just bought 300 extenze pills. I'll let you know if they work :p

Suckers born every minute. Check out birth certificate

Want to see a sucker laminated in plastic? Pull out drivers licence :p

How big will the govt need to be to regulate what YOU decide to buy?

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

They already do. I'm just wondering why it's not consistently applied. Especially in the case of pills. That could really hurt people.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It has a disclaimer saying the FDA hasn't evaluated these statements etc. etc., and that the product isn't intended to treat any disease.

If people want to buy crap, let them buy crap. If the product does not contain a controlled substance, why shouldn't people be allowed to buy it?

The fake reviews are a separate issue, one that affects plenty of electronics on Amazon as well.

6. zin macrumors 6502

If you look at the ingredients, the product is basically a glorified multivitamin with miracle claims. They are pretty misleading to people who are easily fooled.

Dietary supplements are not reviewed by the FDA for effectiveness prior to sale, and they are only reviewed for safety if a new ingredient is present. Misleading or unsubstantiated claims are actually handled by the Federal Trade Commission, according to this FDA document.

7. APlotdevice, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Or desperate.

A particularly dangerous con is faith healing. They promise to heal people suffering from debilitating and even life-threatening diseases. It's not at all unheard of for people with said diseases going to these healers rather than to a doctor, with the results sometimes being fatal. The worst thing is that these con artists are able to claim pretty much anything under the pretext of religion.

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The supplement industry is shady, but do your research and you'll find that there are many supplements, while not formally tested by the FDA, do produce certain outcomes the buyer would find desirable.

Creatine for example, pre-workouts, beta-alanine...all examples I can personally vouch for.

9. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

you mean like her?

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

This is America, where if you're able to swindle anyone into anything via falsehoods or doublespeak, you're considered a good businessman.

I got into an argument with someone on another forum regarding Comcast. I wanted to cancel my cable, but keep my internet, and it took hours of back and forth with the person on the phone not only offering deal after deal, but even slipping things into my final package that I didn't ask for or want, in order to inflate the bill. That guy said what they were doing was good business, and it should be expected.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Offering appalling customer service isn't "good business".

12. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Sure. Doesn't matter though when you've got a state-granted monopoly.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

But thinking as a conservative, look how much more money that could be made without regulation to blow the whistle and hold individuals accountable! ;)

14. needfx, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015

needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

15. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Hell, I take Lisinopril, a prescription drug derived from the venom of the jararaca, a Brazilian pit viper, every day for hypertension/congestive heart failure, but it doesn't give me a buzz. I feel cheated... :(

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Snake venom normally produces a buzz?

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

LSD is derived from ergot, a really bad fungus that grows on wheat. Some of the stuff that can make you happy is dangerous, harmful or deadly in larger quantities, it is all about using the right amount.

18. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

10mg per day here! *high five*

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Alcohols a classic example.

20. Happybunny macrumors 68000

To answer your question, Why are companies still allowed to sell snake oil?

The answer is very simple, Companies are allowed to sell Snake oil, because even Snakes deserve some lubrication.:p

21. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Well that's what the title of the video ("Getting High Injecting Snake Venon") that was posted seems to imply... :D

Dunno. The derived-from-pit-viper-venom Lisinopril I take just makes me dizzy sometimes and gives me a nagging dry cough. Very disappointing... :mad:

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't know much about snake oil.

But I did learn today that a dog and pony show is a real thing. (actually donkey..., but still) And quite fascinating.

Watch Safi the dog and Wister the donkey become friends.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

OP wants the government to protect him from being fooled.
    Priceless :D

24. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Everyone seemed suckered here when the Solar Roadways was going viral. Then there was the feminist Ban Bossy.

As other have said there is sucker born every ten minutes! :rolleyes:

25. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah consumer protection laws are such a novel concept, especially in Germany! :rolleyes: