Why are emails that I have already read on my computer still on my iPhone mail?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ruzzeh, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Ruzzeh macrumors newbie

Why are emails that I have already read and deleted on my computer still on my iPhone when I go into mail, as if I've not read them yet?

I'm using hotmail and how can I fix this?

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

3. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Or you could set it to remove messages from the server immediately after downloading.

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Unfortunately the problem is you are using not so hot hotmail. On a Mac hotmail only works with POP, for syncing ( to keeep all your mail in sync on all your devices) you need to use an email system that supports IMAP. Both GMail and iCloud support IMAP.

----------

If you do that messages will only ever appear on one device. One you download a message on your Mac, it will be removed from the sever and will not sync to your phone.

5. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

6. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

You can use mBox for mac for that, is an mail addon which allows imap for hotmail

8. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I concur. OP, switch to Gmail. Trust me, you may never go back to using Hotmail.

This comes from a guy (me) who was so fed up with Hotmail's spam filter that he switched to Gmail.Heck, I wrote a "vacation reply" to tell people who used my Hotmail account to send me e-mail, but Hotmail wouldn't let me do so. It complained that the reply was too long, even though it wasn't. Microsoft called it a spam-prevention measure. I call it unnecessary.