Why Are Fracking Hopefuls Suing a County in New Mexico?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Jun 1, 2014.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I found this interesting, particularly in light of the recent Cliven Bundy assertions -- that were eagerly supported by many of our conservative friends, not to mention conservative politicians and pundits -- regarding "ancestral rights" to land, and whether these rights trumped federal law, or excused violence in defense of said land:

Sounds like a plan to lose the battle while laying the groundwork for the longer war against corporate personhood, for which I applaud their efforts.

But, what if they were serious? What if the locals armed themselves and threatened employees of the fracking company when they arrived? Would that be tolerated in the same way the Bundy armed encampment has?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would hope it wouldn't be tolerated, if people try to use violence to change things it usually makes things worse. I don't support the companies at all, but we need to get the laws changed and not use weapons.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. It really shouldn't be tolerated. But in looking at this, the case looks pretty cut/dry to me. In short, it comes down to the terms of the treaty. If it is interpreted to be applied correctly by the heirs, Article 6 of the Constitution (read: Supremacy Clause) would apply, trumping corporate personhood.

BL.

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The corporations and lobbyists write the laws.

When the pendulum swings too far in one direction an extreme response is the end result. Applies to all things. Expect to see a lot more of this until the plutocrats, corporatocracy, and corrupt system are rolled back.