All Devices Why are iCloud Notes restricted to only the "main" iCloud account?

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
As an example, I have a personal Apple ID and I have another Apple ID I use for work. I'd love to have Notes from both on my phone, but for some reason Notes can only be enabled for the "Main" iCloud account on the phone.

On the other hand, Reminders can be enabled for secondary accounts.

Does anyone know why this restriction is in place? It really reduces the utility of iCloud Notes; I certainly don't want to log my work machine into my personal iCloud account! It seems like an artificial and nonsensical restriction.

papbot

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
It wasn’t restricted to your primary account originally. My wife and I have our own primary icloud accounts but we also share a second one that we use for all Apple, iTunes, and App Store purchases. Which also gives us a second email, Reminders, Calendar, and Contacts accounts that we share. Why they restricted a second account to those four services I don’t know. We would previously add information that we both needed access to in a note in that second account, as we currently do with the remaining four account services. We can no longer do that and have to find another way get the information on both of our devices.

My fear is that at some point they may restrict those accounts even further. However there may be a specific functional reason for Notes to be set up this way since it has so many other functions.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
I'd love to have Notes from both on my phone, but for some reason Notes can only be enabled for the "Main" iCloud account on the phone.
You need to share your work notes with your personal iCloud account:

GlenK

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I haven't done this but can't you Add People to specific notes? Under File, "Add People", that may work, I need to try it too!!

**Update - As I was typing chabig added the above.

papbot

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
We do that occasionally but it’s not as convenient as being able to open a note in an account that is already being shared. It’s a work around just as texting or air dropping the note would be. We do that also.