Why are my cell phone contacts showing up in my Apple mail address book?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jalopy, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Jalopy macrumors member

My cell phone contacts are showing up in my Apple email address book. But I have no idea why. These are phone numbers only and not email addresses. I don't have my phone and computer synched. I don't have bluetooth or wifi enabled. I don't use cloud services. I don't have data copying software on my Mac or phone. How could this be possible? The only connection between my Mac and phone is via USB cable to copy photos over.

2. Jalopy thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking into this problem a bit more and I see that my Apple address book preferences has the LDAP active on port 9999. Does this sound like a possible way for my cell phone contacts to have ended up in my Apple address book?

3. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I was going to say icloud syncing as my first guess.... But you say you don't use cloud services.

4. emseven macrumors regular

Prior to 10.8 you could sync via USB using a Sync program in System Preferences. What OS are you running and what is the cell phone?

If you change a contact and connect the cell phone does the change appear in Contacts?

5. Jalopy thread starter macrumors member

Nope, no sync program like isync in system prefs.

My Apple address book lists my cellphone contacts from a few months ago. It hasn't updated since then and I've connected my phone via usb cable several times since then.

Any info on why LDAP on port 9999 would be active instead of port 389 or port 636?

6. desertman macrumors 6502a

My guess is that you at some point had your iPhone connected to your Mac and iTunes was running and you - unintentionally - synchronized your contacts once from iPhone to Mac.

7. Jalopy thread starter macrumors member

I don't have a iPhone. I've only connected a Android phone to my Mac via usb. When I do connect the phone, only the SD card files are available for copying. My phone contacts don't show up there.

8. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Pretty sure Android syncs contacts to Google. If you have your Google account set up in System Prefs, that could be why.

9. Jalopy thread starter macrumors member

I don't have google synced on my phone. Besides, it's my Apple address book that is listing my phone contacts.

Should I ask about the Apple address book's LDAP active port 9999 issue in this forum or another one?