Why are Nikon D3S hard to find at BH, Adorama, etc...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by trjwv, Aug 30, 2010.

1. trjwv macrumors regular

I visited B&H Photo and Adorama last Friday and both out of stock and don't know when they will be getting more in. B&H hadn't had one in 2-1/2 months. Adorama has over 40 on backorder with no time frame to fill those backorders. What is up with this, they are the large guys and can't get stock or give you an explanation. Any other reputable vendors selling US D3S's?
    Are they getting ready to replace or just supply/demand issues? Just wondering.
    thanks

2. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Not uncommon with Nikon on their high end, both in bodies and lenses.

3. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

Probably for the same reason you can walk into any Honda dealership in the US and probably find a Civic in the color/options you want, but probably not the same case for a Maybach or Rolls Royce Phantom.

4. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

Low volume, high demand product. They dont spit em out like their other consumer products.

If you look around at other authorized dealers, there are a few in stock.

5. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Thom Hogan has written extensively on this problem at his website.

6. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Nikon always do this, and it's a huge reason I wouldn't buy Nikon. I use that high-end kit, and not being able to buy it (or sitting on a waiting list for months) is simply not acceptable.

Canon's supply chain is generally better. Whilst one retailer might not have a particular item in stock, another will. When I need something (like when I needed a 300/2.8 pronto) I just can't rely on Nikon to have the kit available.