Why are people always so surprised when I tell them a new iphone will come out...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Jul 11, 2011.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

this year?

Or last year etc...

I always tell them nah wait they'll have a new iphone in a month or two and they're like "really???!?! you think they'll come out with a new iphone?"

or I'll say "Nah I'm waiting for the iPhone 6 in 2012" and they're like "what??! you think they're going to have a new iphone this year AND next year???"

I'm like uhh yeah.. they have one EVERY year.. why is this so shocking for people. I always tell them to wait and be patient but they never listen. So like my friends last year.. they bought an iphone 3gs, full price, less than a couple weeks before they announced the 4 and some even before the 4 came out.

2. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

some people just don't care about it like you do. If they followed apple and gadget blogs as closely then would probably know too.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They're probably unfamiliar with Apple's release pattern.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Those are usually people that are surprised at anything you tell them.

5. Burne Jones macrumors newbie

Some people just want to show the interests of the topic and want to get more info from you about it. :rolleyes:

6. kevintech macrumors 6502

some people have lives...seriously.

they dont have the time to keep up with technology.

7. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Agreed. Not everyone is techie.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I know sometimes it is hard to believe, but most people aren't nearly as much into technology as the members of this forum. :D

Another good point: If a product is selling so well, why wouldn't they release an updated version? :p

9. SR71 macrumors 68000

Haha that's exactly what my mom says lol... I think its funny because then you just have to start saying "and the iPhone 7 in 2013 and the iPhone 8 in 2014" and she's just like woah... how do you know so much? Ahh I love family. :)

10. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

My friends all do this too, they never believe me when I tell them new stuff is gonna come out. The thing that annoys me the most is when they hear about the stuff when it is actually released and pretend like I dont know about it. They always are like "did you see they made a new iPhone?" and my reply is always "yeah I know, actually I knew months ago."

But yeah very few people follow apple and other gadget releases like we do, I find it fascinating, some people just don't care at all.

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I am also fascinated. :D

12. NannyJordyn macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was talking to my cousin about wanting to get the next iPhone, and she also questioned whether they'd be coming out with a new one so soon.
    She was also quite surprised when I told her that it would be the fifth iPhone. She thought te last iPhone (4) was actually the iPhone 2. Hahaha.

13. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

It's the beauty of the internet......

Chinese rumours and wild speculation.

It would be boring and very quiet place without it.

My circle of friends and colleagues say, why did you purchase the ip4 when the ip5 is due out soon. My response is if i always waited to see whats new out around the corner, i would never actually purchase anything !

Right now I'm enjoying the ip4 , its awesome and my background is Nokia for the last 25 years !

I'm more excited about the new upcoming ios 5 !

When the ip5 is released I will buy it if it gives me way more than my ip4.

Personally I'm just enjoying the ride and breath of fresh air this device is giving me !

Happy Days.

14. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Ummm you've been using Nokia phones for 25 years? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia

Ok wiki says they've been around since the 19th century and got into telcommunications in the 1960s, but their first mobile phone was the Mobira Cityman 900 in 1987 which cost 24,000 Finnish Marks (approximately EUR 4,560). :eek:

15. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Some would just rather have whats available and good now and not wait.

16. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I don't know... Everyone on the planet knows there's a new Android phone every month, so why would people be like "Apple is so amazing, they come out with a new phone every 14 months!

17. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

People seem to actually like apple's phones...

18. Untaken macrumors member

People are just ignorant. I was sitting next to a couple at a movie recently and the girl was "checking in" on Facebook when the guy said to her "How does it know where you are?" Her response? "I don't know, it just does." The fact is people like to think they have lives and don't need to know this stuff but really it's just ignorance. And the fact that a new iPhone/iPad comes out every year should just be common sense at this point.

19. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

It amazes me how many people aren't the least bit curious as to how the stuff that they use works.... I realize not being interested and not wanting to know great detail but I want at least a basic understanding of how any product that I have works. People as a whole are definitely getting a little less smart every year.

20. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

It's Easier . . .

I find it easier just to greet everyone with "I'm smarter than you!". That way I don't have to steer the conversion away from their tiring personal problems back to iPhones and electronic gadgets to demonstrate my superiority.

21. Hankster, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Not everyone follows gadgets like people here. In fact, I'd say 99% of people don't follow gadgets.

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm amazed that people find it fascinating that a large chunk of the population doesn't care or follow tech news by the minute. Are you up to date of international affairs? What's going on politically and socially in your own country? Some would consider these more important issues than what a phone coming out in 2014 is going to be called.

23. Untaken macrumors member

As often as all these rumors about the next iDevice show up in the news (and not just on tech sites) you would have to be blind to miss at least one of them. You make it sound like there's more important stuff to worry about, and while I won't disagree with you the fact is a good percentage of the population would rather worry about what Lady Gaga decided to wear this week.

24. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i was like ummm yeah way dude, and he was like noo way, then i was like umm yeah way man, and he was like ummm whatever

25. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I would just ever so slightly call bs on the op's post. That is until I remember a similar conversation with my wife.