Why are people going to Apple Stores instead of Best Buys or Targets?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by i eversaw, Mar 11, 2011.

1. i eversaw macrumors regular

i eversaw

Most cities only have 1 Apple Store, 2 if they're lucky. With better chances of getting one, and a MUCH shorter wait by going to an alternate retailer, why are you going to the Apple Store?

edit:serious question, i really want to know

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Some are going because they know the Apple stores will carry the most stock out of all retailers. Some are even going for the experience. Some just prefer to purchase their products from the Apple store in general. There really isn't a clear cut answer.

3. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

i have somewhere to be at 5:15, but theres a target 5 mins away, so I am going to stop there and see if i can get one right at 5 and walk out the door.

4. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Because the Apple Store is going to have a much larger stock than any other store. Meaning there's a better chance you'll walk out of the store with the model you want. Also, and I could be totally wrong about this, but the Apple Store could possibly be the only place to get the Smart Cover, HDMI Adapter, etc. on launch day. But that's more of a guess than my first point.

5. Cshanks5 macrumors newbie

The way I see it, let them!!! Means I will probably get one at target if everyone else goes to the apple stores.

6. applefan289 macrumors 68000

If I had to go to a store, I would definitely hit an Apple store.

I just trust them more with product handling and stock.

7. McPhallus macrumors regular

In Chicagoland we have half a dozen apple stores and about a gazillion best buy, target, walmart, etc. For me, the apple store likely will have the best inventory and accessories and the other places are more of a backup.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

BestBuy said stores will get 100 to 150 units (total so divide by 12 or 18, respectively. Only stores w/ Apple areas will have the 3G version & stock 150 units).

Sams web pages shows 10 or so stores that will have them. No others will.

Walmart may have 20 units total per store, but guess smaller stores will have none.

Target is likely to have limited stock too -- maybe 75 total (again divide by 18).

Each Apple store is likely to have avg of 100 of each model -- more in the bigger stores -- though some colors, sizes may be short shipped. I know the 16GB 3G was shorted at first.

So odds are one is better off being #200 in line at Apple than #30 at Target. Also Apple is a master at launches and checks people out in lightning speed so the line may be long but will move very fast.

Of course if you want a 3G version then ATT or VZW might be good alternatives but they are slow as heck checking people out.

9. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I think most people that normally shop at Target or Walmart, know their apple sections are small and stock will be limited.

This may work as an advantage though as many may assume that and overlook the stores.

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

Stock.

And competence (no offense) :)

And ......it's fun.

11. Krandor macrumors 6502

Agree on stock, but how much competence do you have to just sell something and take money?

12. xboxphanatic macrumors member

Stock is my main reason. I camped out for the iPhone 3G at my local AT&T store and they only received about 30 phones of which I wasn't included. I took the drive to the nearest Apple store and still got my phone that day. Since that experience I won't take my chances anywhere else.

13. mac jones macrumors 68040

Agreed. It's marginal.

Decor is better.....:D

14. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

15. leenak macrumors 68020

Although there are definitely more Targets/Best Buys in the area, we apparently have a ton of Apple stores in the area as well. I'm trying 1, maybe 2 Best Buys before I go to my first choice Apple store then second choice. I'm not sure if I'll hit more Apple stores if for some reason I can't get it.

I would expect Apple stores to be more fun as well as have more stock.

16. nashpdotcom macrumors member

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

During a big launch a lot. Apple has 20 people checking people out w/ portable CC machines (iPods) and another 20 to handle support issues. They can process a sale every two minutes. They swipe your card and you go. The receipt is emailed to you. OTOH the other stores have their same skeletal staff checking out one at time. It can be slow & whatever support staff is around is bombarded and probably hasn't been well briefed.

18. stee1rz macrumors newbie

I have 400 in Apple gift cards from Xmas so I have no other option..

19. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I have a $300 Apple Store gift card that I can only use at the Apple Store. If Best Buy took Apple Store GCs, I would be there in a heartbeat so I could get reward zone points.

20. urkel macrumors 68030

Best Buy is no restocking fee, reward zone points and longer return policy.

But as already mentioned, Apple Store is the better choice if there's one nearby because their inventory completely eclipses any retailer. Plus you dont have to deal with a saleskid who's being forced by managers to scare you into buying an extended warranty.

21. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

The major cities all seem to have many more than 1 or 2. I have 3 within 15 miles of me and at least 5 in my metro area (Miami).

Like other poster said, the Apple stores are expected to have much bigger stock, that's the main reason.

22. robertpetry macrumors 6502

All Targets in NE Indianapolis have fewer than 20. I just talked to them all. They are limited to 16 and 32 GB Wifi's for the most part.

23. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

24. iceman027 macrumors member

Because and stores like Target and Best Buy will get like 10 units on launch day

25. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

If it weren't for the reward zone thing I wouldn't even be going to best buy. I doubt the points will even add up to much but hopefully I can put them toward portal 2 next month