Why are people skipping work for the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Sep 20, 2012.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

Its a phone... its portable. You can bring it to work with you... Or get it during lunch while you're at work. Doesnt make sense imo

2. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Because they are sick in the head most likely.

3. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

Why do you care? They can do whatever they want, it's their prerogative.

4. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

It's a legitimate question. But you took the time to post a reply, so you must care to some extent.

5. Advil macrumors 6502a

who cares

why do people stay up late to go to a midnight release of a film?
    why do people road trip to go see a concert?

if they're excited and happy, leave them be.

6. doomfront macrumors regular

Just to say they were one of the first to get it.

7. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Ok, I'll bite.

If they are being delivered to their house, I don't know. In that case I'm with you, makes no sense.

However, if they are one of the millions that missed out on preorders (because they went so damn fast) if you do not get inline tonight and wait. You most likely will not get one. I am guessing stock at most stores will be gone before lunch which means if you run out at lunch to get it either they will be gone or the line will still be three to four hours long at that point.

I'm sure there will be people that will do what you say ( get it on lunch) but I think they will be extremely disappointed.

8. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Because they want to? If they want to use a vacation/sick day let them...it doesn't really matter to you.

9. HighFlyers macrumors member

HighFlyers

If I wasn't so busy I would because i basically have too many vacation days, I gotta use them on something.

10. SlyMac macrumors 6502

Why do people stay up extra late to preorder one?

Umm...so they'd have one on release day.

What's wrong with someone using a vacation, personal day to go pick one up? They also get to enjoy a long weekend too. Seems like a good plan to me.

11. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Simple: I want it tomorrow, and if I'm at work, no one is here to receive the phone and I don't get it until next week. So I'm working from home until I get it.

This isn't rocket science, people. :)

12. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

Basically its just stupid...everyone that chimes in knows that also. Its a phone and shows where priorities have gone. Sure you can enjoy other things or do both, but STUPID that we put so much emphasis on a phone that in two weeks no one will care about.....Its like anything else we are a society that has to have everything now...You can bash me if you like but its Truth....

I am a techno geek and have waited in many lines for apple release and admit just stupid.

To have posting on this site of "what are you going to do if the UPS man is late" REALLY!! Just shows the level of maturity and priorities that some people have.

13. ROLLTIDE1, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Wouldn't that be sick in the heard or do sheeps not travel in heards:D

14. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Why not have delivered to work?

15. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

16. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Why are you worried about other people? Just "do you"

17. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

At least with where I used to work, they wouldn't allow personal mail to be delivered.

18. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

Thought about it, no personal deliveries at work...Plus receiving throws boxes away that arent marked properly. I would cry and my wife would kill me.

19. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

1. If they're being delivered, they're usually delivered while the person is at work. I'm pretty sure that Apple only lets you have it shipped to the contract billing address, unless you called them, had them change the address, and then had your order pushed back. Leaving a pre-signature slip is risky because anyone could steal it off your doorstep and I don't think many people are willing to risk that.

2. New Apple products are exciting for some more than others. I'm not DYING to get mine but that's just because I don't see it as much to be excited about considering I already have a 4S. A lot of people upgrading only have 4's, some still have a 3GS. One day off to explore your new phone you'll be using for the next 1-2 years isn't too bad, especially if you have vacation days available. Like someone else said, it's the same reason that people go to midnight movie premieres and roadtrip to concerts. I've been to midnight showings of a few Saw movies and The Hunger Games because I love both, and I've driven 3 and 7 hours on two separate occasions to see Lady GaGa. Everyone has different tastes and different knacks; I love entertainment. I love technology too, but it's not at the top of my list.

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Why don't you mind your own business? Not your time, not your money.

21. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

So they can post another useless thread to what once was a really good tech forum?

22. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

This comment just won the internet.

23. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Because they are excited about it. It's really not that hard to figure out.

24. leenak macrumors 68020

It is a Friday before a weekend...
    because people are excited...
    because they have extra vacation/PTO/whatever days...
    because why not?

25. Sputnek macrumors regular

Well, I rarely ever use my personal days at work, and most of the time they go unused. The only times I really do is if I am extremely sick, a new iPhone every 2, or family emergency. Either way I still am getting paid. I just like the thrill of new technology and all the hype with it. I find that exciting. I work in the medical field and I stopped questioning what and why people do certain things. Trust me, it's better that way.