Resolved Why are people so obssesed wih the "Gold" iP5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JOSE891, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOSE891, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013

JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Went in to the Apple Store the other day to buy a 5S, walked in with the intention of getting the Gold color one, but they were sold out. So I ended up getting a 64GB Silver one. Before I left the store I went looking to see if they had a Gold 5S on display, I found one and I thought it was White. After looking it at closely and It was hard to tell it was even Gold Color. The tint was so light like %30 of the color of actual gold.

Why are people so obsessed with getting the ''Gold'' color one when it doesn't even look Gold? SMH. You literally have to be looking for the color gold when looking at it.

Anyway I ended up Gold Plating my Silver 5S for $700 online and it was worth it. It looks freaking sick, and way better then the "Gold" colored one apple is selling.

And why do people keep referencing the Gold colored 5S as "The Gold iPhone 5S" when it isn't even made out of gold or plated?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's different and it's called personal choice!

You 'gold plated' yours for 700 buck? Pictures??

3. KaijuRed macrumors regular

same reason why people who come 1st place in marathons are awarded with a Gold medal, not silver or bronze.

The color gold represents a higher value and importance.

If you gold-plated your 5S... does that mean it's warranty is void? :\

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

Pictures or it didn't happen. This sounds like trolling to me.

5. JOSE891 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Technically, but the company I did it through replaces Apple's one year Warranty.

6. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

7. JOSE891 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

I'm not trolling. SMH

8. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I say because it's different. For so long it's only been white or black, Gold is a chance to get something different. It also also tells everyone you have the newest phone. I think that's the reason more than the actual color itself. Yeah, they have grey but it's not that different.

Considering most people get a case it seems overblown to me.

Even if it isn't it's going to suck big time if something breaks. Volume buttons, home button, etc. Going to make for one expensive exchange, even if they will take it. My BS meter is pinging until I see proof.

9. Kiretas macrumors regular

Seems a bit fishy that you are quick to mock people for wanting to buy a gold coloured version of the phone, yet you spend as much as another phone on making yours look more so. A case of the pot calling the kettle black I feel.

It is well believed that the gold coloured iPhone will be very popular in China where gold is coveted. It's also believed it will be very popular in Middle Eastern areas where just about anything gold is considered a greater status symbol, regardless of whether it is.

I personally have ordered a gold because I like the look of it and it represents a change for the first time since the 3G. I realise of course that there are now the C phones as well. I'm sure many people share the same view as me, it looks good and its different (even if everyone ends up with them by the end of the year). There might be a handful of people who think its real gold, but most consumers aren't that foolish.

10. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Alternatively, it's just BS. I know which I would lean towards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.