Why are people still jail breaking iOs 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by L4Leonard, Nov 17, 2011.

1. L4Leonard macrumors regular

L4Leonard

Whay do you guys (well, those of you who do) still jailbreak when iOs 5 is out? What things are you missing that weren't included in iOS5? Im thinking about jail breaking my iPhone, but i don't really see the point anymore, so please, convince me (if necessary?)

2. Thetonyk123, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

SBSettings is awesome, and some other things like 5 icon dock!

3. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Tethering
    Unlocking
    SBSettings
    Google Voice Extensions

4. nfl46 macrumors 604

BiteSMS
    The ability to customized everything on our phones

5. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

1.Installing the Grooveshark app.

2. SBSettings Toggle - The main reason being to easily switch Wifi on and off, and to adjust brightness quickly.

6. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

so bascally you hate everything about iOS??

Thats my main "WTF?!?" why praise something like an iphone so much, then jailbreak it and turn it into something else?

You would think people who jailbreak their phones would just go over to android and at least customize a phone with a bigger screen.

7. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I've been jailbreaking since the first iPhone but nothing listed so far makes it worth it to me anymore.

Sbsettings is the closest. To be honest the only reason I'd jailbreak at this point to install paid apps that don't offers trials to make a decision on purchasing.

8. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Once the untethered jailbreak is out, I'll be all over it. Mostly for SBSettings and infinifolders. I hate having to click through screens to turn wifi/personal hotspot on/off. Intelliscreen (the iOS5 lock screen still don't cut it), and whatever that one was that lets you get to the recent apps/multitasking thing from the lockscreen.
    I'm sure there are other reasons too.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

False dichotomy. You can like customization without hating stock.

You might assume that. I wouldn't. Speak for yourself and don't use "you" where you should use "I". There are certainly other factors that people use when comparing devices. Just because you view it as a simple either/or thing doesn't mean that everyone else does.

If things were as you state then there wouldn't even be jailbreaking in the first place.

Further, not everyone wants a larger screen.

10. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

That's about the only thing that I would consider jailbreaking for. But I don't want the instability & update problems and GV extensions aren't enough reason to deal with that.

11. Shenlong macrumors newbie

Can someone give me a better understanding of SBSettings?

And To the OP…..Get free apps My main reason. :eek::eek::eek:

12. OafTobark macrumors 6502

OafTobark

+1

no reason anymore, SBSettings is the only main reason sounds like? I'll wait till I can have Siri do it for me.

iReSign is my new love. ;)

13. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Grooveshark is so much better than the other music apps???

And there is an app (iconproject) that lets you put things like the wifi and brightness right on the home page.

And . . . 5 icons in the dock? I don't need 5 icons in the dock. Who does?

I had the exact same question as the OP; and you guys have convinced me, beyond any shadow of any doubt, that I DON'T need to jailbreak.

14. HXGuy macrumors 68000

15. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I was going to...until you admitted to being a thief. I'll try not to go off on a rant here, but you do realize that when you steal apps, you're only hurting the developers that bring us those apps, right? If you create something and put a price on it, wouldn't you be upset if someone was giving it away for free and you weren't collecting for any of your hard work? So now, what reason do those developers have to keep creating great apps and tweaks? They don't...all because people like you are too cheap to spend .99 or $1.99 for something that you'll use everyday.

Luckily for you, SBSettings is free, so that's right up your pirate alley.

16. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

17. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Seriously...if you don't need to jailbreak, then don't. I can assure you no one here will lose any sleep over it. However, to base that decision on the VERY few tweaks that have been listed here is foolish. If you're interested in it, then do it...if you find that it's not for you for whatever reason, rest assured that you can go back to stock by simply doing a restore. No trace of the jailbreak will remain on your phone.

----------

Yet another pirate. Arrrggghhhh!!! :rolleyes:

18. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

NO ONE CARES IF YOU OR THE OP JAILBREAK OR NOT. I don't get why peoe feel the need to other people (i.e. complete strangers) convince/advise them on what to do. People can't analyze information and make decisions for themselves anymore?

And I want 5 icons in the dock. As well as all the other thousands of people that do. Who cares whether or notyou want it or not?
    People are so egocentric; they think that their views reflect the rest of the population's.
    What does wanting to customize have to do with "hating" the phone?
    Learn2ReadingComprehension. He might love the iOS ecosystem, the apps, the ease of use, the music player, easy synching with his Mac, etc.

19. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

iOS kinda sucks to be honest, I just like the hardware.

20. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

In addition to the above tweaks,

1. Password protect apps.
    2. Gestures (Activator) (for iPhone)
    3. Show only open apps in App Switcher
    4. Hide apps.
    5. A decent clipboard (Action Menu)

21. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

It puts a lot of the iPhone settings on one screen, with a toggle on/off switch. You can access it from any screen, much like the new Notification Center, and can customize which settings you want.

Things like Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Brightness, activating the LED light, etc can be EASILY accessed without having to dive into the different pages under Settings.

----------

Icon Project is not an app. It's a Safari shortcut. It's not good enough as it does not offer the speed and convenience that SBSettings offer.

It puts a shortcut on any screen, not just the home screen. So they take up space, or you can put them all in a folder, which adds another step. To get to Icon Project, you have to get to that page, open up the folder (if used), then click on the settings. That then opens up a Safari page, which then automatically takes you the appropriate Settings page. From there you still have to toggle on/off.

SBSettings is a simple two-step move. Swipe to open the menu, tap to toggle. Icon Project is much more involved.

22. Angryipadguy, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2011

Angryipadguy macrumors regular

Why wouldn't you jailbreak as the iPhone is a gimp phone without jailbreaking!

I use loads of Cydia apps but of the top of my head some are

3G unrestrictor
    Tether me
    Dimmer
    Ibluever
    IFile
    Photo albums+
    retina pad
    Sbsettings

23. supervelous macrumors 6502

I have a stock 4S AND a jailbroken 4 and I find myself switching my sim to the 4 a lot for the following:

SB Settings: quick swipe and change any setting

Activator: I swipe left on status bar to tweet (same default twitter interface pops up but no need to include a picture, map location, link like ios 5 stock) - set custom actions to do almost anything

iBlacklist: can block any number from texting or calling me!

BiteSMS: I get a lot of SMS, and its annoying to have to go into the Messages app to reply, with Bite you reply from whatever you're doing, plus status bar icon lets you know how many messages you have, notification center click on SMS allows you to Quick Reply (no opening app)

Google Voice extensions: Lets you send/receive Google Voice text and make calls through native Messages & phone apps - #1 reason for me, cancelled my SMS plan saves me $20/month

Customized look: I shrink the icons to 90% and put 5 across, have HTC Sense style clock on my homescreen with icons below, space icons wherever I want, Scrolling dock, themes, etc

Fake Clock Up: didn't know how big of a difference this makes until I got the 4S and didn't have it: speeds up the ios animations..notice when you open or close an app, there's an animation associated with it, that you have to "wait" through...they're not long and you're used to them, but when you speed those up 5x with this tweak, then go back to stock you can tell the difference. I know it's not but my 4 seems faster bc of this. things pop right open

Haptic pro: not for all, i like haptic feedback when I hit buttons, type on the keyboard

Infinifolders: if I have 30 games, annoying to have to place them in 3 separate folders

Call Bar: when I get a call, instead of interupting what I'm doing, a bar appears at top of screen like the new notifications, with options to accept or decline call or just ignore it and continue my task

3G Unrestrictor: Facetime over 3G, downloads over 20MB on Itunes/App Store, ability to watch videos at higher quality

Location Spoof: Can fake location...useful for me because I have NFL Sunday Ticket and no cable, and live in Patriots territory so it is blacked out, I spoof that I'm in Arizona or something and can watch Patriots or Red Sox or any blacked out game

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple as well. Any of these alone might not make a huge difference, but together they really do. I just bought my 4S and find myself enjoying my 4 more bc of the jailbreak. I am contemplating returning the 4S and keeping my upgrade for the next iphone.

24. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you've never actually USED icon project; it is a SIMPLE two step process -- tap the app, slide the toggle: short of having the toggle itself on the home screen, not sure it could be any simpler.

25. Synergie macrumors 6502a

The #1 Main Reason (for me):

LOCK INFO!

iOS5 implementation of notifications is a bare start on what Lock Info could do ages ago! Why I can't stand Apple's implementation?

1) Calendar entries, Todo's, and Weather won't show on the lock screen even with 'show on lock screen' enabled in notification settings

2) Third party apps that send notifications to notification centre do not send to the lock screen either (so there goes the possibility of using a third party weather app to fill the void)

3) The notifications on the Lock Screen disappear as soon as you unlock... and don't come back. BAd if you want to keep them there to remind you.

4) The notifications on the Lock Screen are all displayed in one continuous thread... they are not grouped by app etc. Meaning if you have many new notifications, you'll be scrolling forever to see them all. They should be grouped into collapsable groups.

5) The settings are limited. You can select 1 recent item, 5 or 10... you can't select 3 for example...

6) If you set only 1 recent item to show... it will not show the most recent if there are multiple. It will display the first notification (oldest) that you received while your phone was locked and then ignore the rest. It should show the NEWEST and bump the old ones. There is no way to change this.

I NEED LOCK INFO! I NEED A VIABLE TODAY SCREEN! Apple can't / won't get that right! My ancient Windows Mobile / pocket pc could show you at a glance ALL your info for the day: new appts, weather forecast, todo's, new emails, new sms, voicemails, missed calls etc. All on ONE screen! No need to go into all different apps to see everything. That brings me to my 7th point:

7) Notification Center while a step in the right direction, is incomplete. No third party widgets without Jailbreaking. And the Notification Center is NOT available from the Lock Screen! So you still have to press button to turn on screen, swipe sideways, swipe down to see it. I want to just turn on the screen and see everything in one fell swoop!

Is it too much to ask? THAT'S why I jailbreak, even with iOS5.