Why are pple not considering the fact the 4g may b redesigned to fit 2 memory chips?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by db2431, Jun 2, 2010.

1. db2431 macrumors regular

Seen lots of naysayers preaching that the 4g wont be 64gb as the iphone cant fit 2 32gb flash memory and that 1 64gb stick is too expensive/not enough in production yet.My question for the more knowledgeable, how are the skeptics so certain the inside of the iphone hasnt been completely redesigned to fit them?

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the designs I've seen for the next phone, but it does seem like it has more room on the inside. Seems thicker than past phones. You may be right.

3. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

minus "fact"
    insert "possibility"

Then you've got yourself a relevant title :) I would love if they made more room, but I'll wait 5 days to find out. Fingers crossed!

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Because the PCB is 1/3 smaller than the 3G/3Gs PCB.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

According to Gizmodo it has less. And it's 33% thinner. AND the battery is larger.

So I don't see how.

6. db2431 thread starter macrumors regular

Fair point but my title is already using max characters :mad:

7. smes3817 macrumors newbie

Thank you! I can't stand it when people don't actually read the articles...

8. elephunkman macrumors 65816

More room may be nice, but I'm more tempted to see if the processor is better along with the higher res screen. I hope they keep the oleophobic screen though, it's a nice design.

9. db2431 thread starter macrumors regular

Just out of interest, this is the 4g prototype, where on the picture is the flash memory located?

[​IMG]

10. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Probably somewhere on the main logic board (the L shaped piece in the middle). If you want a precise location you'll have to provide a better picture of the logic board.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Under the metal shielding on the PCB in the middle of the picture.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Hard to tell from that photo. Here's some shots inside an older iPhone. It'd be something like that...part of the motherboard.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20070704/135309/

13. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Never know, if the iPhone is truly bigger in physical capacity, can they stack the memory chips on top of one another?

14. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Huh. Didn't know that. Thanks.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Edit: they already stack NAND chips to get the current densities. It takes 16 stacked to hit 64GB

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/news/press_releases/2009/memy_09_585.jsp

They took all the chips that used to lie on one side of a much larger PCB and have now stacked them up on each side of a much smaller PCB. Looking at the thickness of the shielded chips on my 3G (that is currently in pieces on my table) vs what I see on the new PCB, I don't see how it's possible.

16. db2431 thread starter macrumors regular

So whats stopping them stacking 8x8 for 64gb?Im going to take a guess the current 8gb are roughly the same price as 4gb was last year.

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

The natural progress of technology. This is the highest density currently reached.

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/news/press_releases/2009/memy_09_585.jsp

And you'd be wrong on the pricing. NAND pricing has gone up.

Edit: Who does the teardowns every year that reveal the individual component pricing?

18. Aurial macrumors 6502

Who's to say that it couldn't have been 34% thinner, but they decided to make room for two chips?

We'll find out on Monday either way.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

20. Aurial macrumors 6502

I'm not taking sides either way, I just don't think that te argument that the phone is thinner really holds much water.

And as for the circuit board, clearly there has been a MAJOR redesign from the previos generation, as this is tiny in comparison to it (or we're not being shown everything inside the shell). I couldn't tell you what any of the individual components are on that board, and I don't know which previosly seperate components Apple have combined to reduce the size so dramatically. There's far too little information available to make any kind of judgement.

21. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I'm not familiar at all with memory and such. I just thought you could stack 2 32GB chips on top of one another.

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Dont' see how it doesn't. Thinner means less volume for components. It's pretty simple. If you've ever opened an iPhone you'd know how cramped they already are.

The way they got the existing chips on the new phone is by "folding" it over. Theyv'e placed the chips on both sides of the PCB instead of just one.

23. moa.k macrumors newbie

ifixit I think...

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Found it, it was iSuppli. 16GB MLC NAND was $24 last year. Seems to be $25 this year in the iPad. So yeah...NAND prices don't seem to have dropped.

25. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

They could be using a 32GB chip on either side of the board to save space. That would give the new phone up to a 64GB capacity without using 64GB chips. And when prices come down, they can use one 64GB chip for the same effect. Then they can use two 64GB chips for a 128GB iPhone next year.

It looks like both the Gizmodo phone and Vietnam phone had shields over some components (all in the Gizmodo phones case), so that would be hidden.