Why are so many forum frequenters critical of conservatives?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Aug 21, 2012.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

If I want a conservative to represent me, I want them to actually do what they say.

I also want them to do something instead of sit in a cozy chair and sulk.

The definition of "work" is
    "Be engaged in physical or mental activity in order to achieve a purpose or result, esp. in one's job; do work."

I have seen far too little done. And voting 31 times to repeal Obamacare knowing full well it was a dead bill only reinforces their Do-Nothing mentality. :mad:

2. Scepticalscribe, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Memo to self: I must resist, I must resist, I must resist the slippery road to perdition, the seductive temptation to participate meaningfully in this discussion.......and thread......

3. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Too many conservatives are melting down recently. Throwing wobblers, pity-seeking, asking not to be judged too harshly.

Maybe this sort of thing is the beginning to the path of enlightenment?

4. AhmedFaisal Guest

I think it's been stated before. The majority of house, senate and state republicans engages in nothing but obstructionism and "nyet"-politics. I actually have to give Paul Ryan some credit, while his proposals are a little nutty at least he is making counter proposals and seems to be willing to some extent to engage in discussion and negotiation. Problem is, he is not his party in this regard.

5. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

too.......late....... ;)

"nyet"-politics, I LIKE it! Speaks the truth in so many ways!

"nyet"-party?
    Party of "nyet"!

Yes, Ryan could be a good, maybe great, statesman, if he cuts loose from party mantra and think.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

"Better dead than red" has taken on a whole new meaning. :D

7. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I disagree. By Ryan's plan being so radically far to the right taking a hatchet to government programs, turning medicare to a voucher program, cutting taxes for the rich, it skews the conversation too far to the right. If Democrats were to negotiate based on Ryan's plan we would end up with legislation from the right instead both parties meeting in the center.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If ... if ... if.

9. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Don't you know that blocking every possible Democrat-supported bill, regardless of content, is hard work?

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I became polarized against conservatives when they started attacking science in the US (I am equally impatient with dogmatists on the left, but honestly there seem to be fewer of them). I prefer evidence-based policy making.

Also, many conservatives seem to worship the short-sighted pursuit of selfishness. I think the current economic meltdown is evidence enough of where that leads....

12. Biff..., Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

LOL!! this is the funniest thing I've heard so far. I'll do my judging in November.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Most of the elected officials on the red side are social conservatives (aka keeping social norms as they were in 1950s).

Most of the conservative posters here are much more socially liberal in their views but are still expected to backup their side when some conservative decides gays are an abomination.

Liberal elected officials are typically charged with not doing enough or not getting the job done here. While I imagine most conservatives view their representation as being the best of two evils. Completely different scenarios.

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What I don't understand, and the basis for my criticism, is that the conservatives here claim to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative, yet vote for the GOP which has been socially conservative and fiscally irresponsible.

I understand wanting to pay as little as possible in taxes, but from a fiscally conservative standpoint, the party that you should support has historically been the Democrats. That could change, but the policies put forth by the current GOP nominee aren't fiscally conservative. They are in fact likely to result in exploding debt and more economic problems.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Here is a start:
    The GOP who claims to be conservative and backed by conservatives has moved about 500% to the right since the 1960's on social issues. However, when they been in charge have not acted in a fiscally responsible manner while focusing on handing a small percentage of the privileged favors while telling the rest to ******* off, by trying to destroy any and all social/entitlement programs. Their latest proposals regarding tax cuts for the top 1% in effect add trillions to our debt so the most wealthy can be handed favors they don't need. Then there is their habit of dictating/legislating their morality on the rest of us. They like calling themselves Christians while not acting in a Christian-like manner. They are firmly anti-women in all of their proposals concerning contraception and women's reproductive health. They are behind national efforts to suppress the voting rights of those who don't see eye to eye with them. And they've decided when they don't like the President, there is no need for them to do anything while they watch the country falls apart.

Of course they are a direct reflection of some substantial portion of our electorate. They hold political office because they are elected. As a country we are in deep s***.

[​IMG]

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its not really paying taxes that is the flash point for most conservatives, its where the tax money is going. I, personally, don't want to pay someone to sit on their ass. I have no problem paying for someone to retrain and support them while they work through the training, but they better be doing something to better themselves to repay what society has extended to them. I also don't want to pay someone more than they are worth, unions are another flash point for most conservatives. The private sector is very good at determining what you are worth and someone making 35 a hour to pick up litter off the street or sit in a public transit booth making sure people pay their toll isn't really high up there on the efficiency scale.

Conservatives vote for Republicans because there are no other choices.

----------

1998 $69.2 Billion Surplus $97.33 Billion Surplus D R R

1999 $125.6 Billion Surplus $172.76 Billion Surplus D R R

2000 $236.4 Billion Surplus $314.78 Billion Surplus D R R

2001 $127.3 Billion Surplus $164.9 Billion Surplus R D R

2002 $157.8 Billion Deficit $201.02 Billion Deficit R D R

2003 $374 Billion Deficit $466.33 Billion Deficit R R R

2004 $413 Billion Deficit $501.21 Billion Deficit R R R

2005 $319 Billion Deficit $374.41 Billion Deficit R R R

2006 $248 Billion Deficit $282.14 Billion Deficit R R R

2007 $162 Billion Deficit $179.2 Billion Deficit R D D

2008 $455 Billion Deficit $484.56 Billion Deficit R D D

2009 $1416 Billion Deficit $1512.82 Billion Deficit D D D

2010 $1294 Billion Deficit $1360.67 Billion Deficit D D D

2011 $1299 Billion Deficit $1324.16 Billion Deficit D D R

2012 $1330 Billion Deficit $1330 Billion Deficit D D R

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

1. Who wants to pay for someone to sit on their ass?
    2. I've never met a conservative who thought paying for retraining was a good thing until just now.
    3. The private sector is TERRIBLE at determining the worth of workers. have you not been paying attention to what has been happening with CEO vs other employees' pay?
    4. Who is making $35 an hour to pick up trash?

http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay...e-Truck-Driver-Hourly-Pay-E2094_D_KO17,37.htm

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Is DDR is supposed to mean Dem Pres, Dem Senate, Rep House?

Regarding your numbers I suppose you think that Obama got in there and decided to go hog wild spending money in the Democratic Party way cause that is what Dems do? (lol) After the damage was done by two terms of the GOP, unfortunately we'll never know what the economic/employment/housing numbers would look like if Obama just clamped down and did nothing.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The chart listed who had majorities in president/senate/house DDD would be all democrats. I haven't said anything about democrat spending specifically, the model that we were running on was unsustainable and came crashing down. Who knew that endless consumption wouldn't work? Now we will just see how much further this country tries to bleed the middle/lower class before they realize the model is not sustainable.

After all, as Bush told us, its our patriotic duty to buy garbage from China that we don't need.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well when they keep voting in those people left and right they better be able to defend them. Many of them voted for those nut jobs.
    My problem with the GOP is they are the true me me me at the expense of hurting the country and anyone but the elite. They destroy science.

We have proof that they block true job bills to prevent the economy from getting better just so they can do better in the election because the economy is hurting. To me that speaks volumes about them right there.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Is that union based? Probably not. We have alot more union type work up here it seems to me. Everything gets done half assed and costs twice as much as it should. My 35 dollar remark may have been a bit high, but union workers making 25-27 a hour is pretty much the norm. My wife's father is union and makes 45 a hour to sit on his ass and lay cement compound (no educational background, doesn't even speak English).

22. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Because it has become a party of the few surviving by the fears of the many.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

So...let me get this straight- your all for bloated CEO pay (even when they kill a company) and keeping other workers pay low with no raises, but if someone is actually able to find work that pays well, you're against it just because you don't think they deserve it?

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No I am against it only if it is subsidized or propelled by the government. I had no problem with bloated GM Worker wages for bolting doors on a car like any 16 year old could do. I have a problem when I am forced to pay for it. I can simply not buy their cars if they are overpriced junk, I don't have a choice if the government bails them out.

I am not for or against CEO pay, that's between corporations and the people they intend to sell to to decide.

25. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Consumer power. Where do I find some of that?