Why are so many people complaining about the new iPhone back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjpearce023, Aug 13, 2012.

1. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I understand people being upset with the 4 inch screen not being big enough. I can also understand people being disappointed with iOS 6 not bringing enough changes. I can’t figure out why people are complaining about the design of the back of the new iPhone so much. I have seen so many people on this forum saying the back is ugly and they don’t like the aluminum or two tone look. I’m just not sure what they expect apple to do. If they use a glass back again then you get people complaining that it’s just like the 4/4s. If you go back to plastic then you have people complaining that it’s a step backwards to the 3g/3gs so what is left for them to make the back out of? Aluminum or metal seems like the logical next step. So my question is what do people expect apple to do with the back of the iPhone? Is there some material that would be better or are people just complaining for the sake of complaining?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah, for instance the 4S screen size was perfect, no need to mess with it. Perfect! :p ;)

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why does it matter? Preference can vary by person whether you understand another person's preferences or not.

A little from column A, a little from column B.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They'll get over it and end up liking it, just as they did with the iPhone 4's glass back (and we know how they complained incessantly at first about the glass back being easily breakable).

6. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

Last option - The two-tone looks odd, especially as 90% of it is covered in aluminum. It SEEMS pointless having little glass strips on the top and bottom. I realise this may be because of communications, but at least try to keep it consistent.

That's why I think the back looks ugly.

7. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Why are so many people making threads about people complaining?

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It looks less odd and more consistent than the one piece black trim at the bottom of the original iPhone and there was even a thread on people bitching about the back of the original iPhone being ugly before its debut.

And of course, lots of people thought the iPhone 4 was ugly until they saw it in person.

9. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

Because there's a lot of "silly" people on this forum. The back looks great..even though I rather that blacker tones iPhone render we have seen.. But it's the back of a phone.. I don't get people's fuss about it at all.. It seems like everyone complains about the wrong things

10. xmarcuswildx macrumors 6502

It's just the fact that it's apple and most people would expect more innovation for a new model of phone in the 2 year re-design stage. But it changed very little. Hell maybe it's not even the actually phone. Well know in a few weeks. I don't dislike the phone, but I don't like it either as far as I know apple could have done much better.

11. Coldsnow macrumors regular

The glass back is sexy. The new two tone panel back is just ugly...:(

12. batting1000 macrumors 604

Wait till you see it in person...

13. recharge23 macrumors regular

yeah, i actually like the back but probably won't be able to upgrade from my 4s :(

14. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

15. esal macrumors newbie

Are we sure that is truly the new look of the iPhone 5?

16. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yes. Every rumor / part leak has mentioned / shown it. There has yet to be a rumor or leak that contradicts what we've seen so far.

17. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I like the new design, though I do prefer the look of the tear shaped iPhone that was leaked last year.

18. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Yes, it is. All this stuff about some secret amazing device is bologna.

19. supermarius macrumors newbie

People ^^^ don't admire Apple's art in engineering.

iPhone's maintained the same 4 rounded corner brick shape which has made it iconic and distinguishable. Some don't realize there's very little you can change when you stick to your guns with the external antenna...

20. bigalow macrumors member

I doubt it really matters too much as most owners put their phone in a protective case

21. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Because so many people are complaining.

22. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

This: +1. I know we wont get it but it sure was cool looking! Also, remember how "sure" everyone was about the design and then we didn't get it? Just saying...

23. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

it was slick looking:

http://www.giga.de/smartphones/iphone-5/

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It was never "leaked," as in a real leak, just a mockup/render.

25. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Do you really think that is Apple's best effort in design? I don't. I actually find it lame and tasteless. I will not complain but I do think Apple can do a lot better. Have you seen the Samsung Galaxy S3? It is such a beautiful device. The iPhone 4 was an incredible design as well. The leaked photos of the iPhone 5 I don't like too much. But this is me.