Why are so many people complaining about the new iPhone back?

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
I understand people being upset with the 4 inch screen not being big enough. I can also understand people being disappointed with iOS 6 not bringing enough changes. I can’t figure out why people are complaining about the design of the back of the new iPhone so much. I have seen so many people on this forum saying the back is ugly and they don’t like the aluminum or two tone look. I’m just not sure what they expect apple to do. If they use a glass back again then you get people complaining that it’s just like the 4/4s. If you go back to plastic then you have people complaining that it’s a step backwards to the 3g/3gs so what is left for them to make the back out of? Aluminum or metal seems like the logical next step. So my question is what do people expect apple to do with the back of the iPhone? Is there some material that would be better or are people just complaining for the sake of complaining?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Why does it matter? Preference can vary by person whether you understand another person's preferences or not.

Is there some material that would be better or are people just complaining for the sake of complaining?
A little from column A, a little from column B.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
They'll get over it and end up liking it, just as they did with the iPhone 4's glass back (and we know how they complained incessantly at first about the glass back being easily breakable).

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
If they use a glass back again then you get people complaining that it’s just like the 4/4s. If you go back to plastic then you have people complaining that it’s a step backwards to the 3g/3gs so what is left for them to make the back out of? Aluminum or metal seems like the logical next step.
Last option - The two-tone looks odd, especially as 90% of it is covered in aluminum. It SEEMS pointless having little glass strips on the top and bottom. I realise this may be because of communications, but at least try to keep it consistent.

That's why I think the back looks ugly.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Last option - The two-tone looks odd, especially as 90% of it is covered in aluminum. It SEEMS pointless having little glass strips on the top and bottom. I realise this may be because of communications, but at least try to keep it consistent.

That's why I think the back looks ugly.
It looks less odd and more consistent than the one piece black trim at the bottom of the original iPhone and there was even a thread on people bitching about the back of the original iPhone being ugly before its debut.

And of course, lots of people thought the iPhone 4 was ugly until they saw it in person.

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Because there's a lot of "silly" people on this forum. The back looks great..even though I rather that blacker tones iPhone render we have seen.. But it's the back of a phone.. I don't get people's fuss about it at all.. It seems like everyone complains about the wrong things

xmarcuswildx

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
It's just the fact that it's apple and most people would expect more innovation for a new model of phone in the 2 year re-design stage. But it changed very little. Hell maybe it's not even the actually phone. Well know in a few weeks. I don't dislike the phone, but I don't like it either as far as I know apple could have done much better.

esal

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
I understand people being upset with the 4 inch screen not being big enough. I can also understand people being disappointed with iOS 6 not bringing enough changes. I can’t figure out why people are complaining about the design of the back of the new iPhone so much. I have seen so many people on this forum saying the back is ugly and they don’t like the aluminum or two tone look. I’m just not sure what they expect apple to do. If they use a glass back again then you get people complaining that it’s just like the 4/4s. If you go back to plastic then you have people complaining that it’s a step backwards to the 3g/3gs so what is left for them to make the back out of? Aluminum or metal seems like the logical next step. So my question is what do people expect apple to do with the back of the iPhone? Is there some material that would be better or are people just complaining for the sake of complaining?
Are we sure that is truly the new look of the iPhone 5?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I like the new design, though I do prefer the look of the tear shaped iPhone that was leaked last year.

supermarius

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
It's just the fact that it's apple and most people would expect more innovation for a new model of phone in the 2 year re-design stage. But it changed very little. Hell maybe it's not even the actually phone. Well know in a few weeks. I don't dislike the phone, but I don't like it either as far as I know apple could have done much better.
People ^^^ don't admire Apple's art in engineering.

iPhone's maintained the same 4 rounded corner brick shape which has made it iconic and distinguishable. Some don't realize there's very little you can change when you stick to your guns with the external antenna...

bigalow

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
I doubt it really matters too much as most owners put their phone in a protective case

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
Do you really think that is Apple's best effort in design? I don't. I actually find it lame and tasteless. I will not complain but I do think Apple can do a lot better. Have you seen the Samsung Galaxy S3? It is such a beautiful device. The iPhone 4 was an incredible design as well. The leaked photos of the iPhone 5 I don't like too much. But this is me.