Why are some areas of google earth amazing and others so blurry?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Eric Lewis, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Ok so for an example...i zoom into san fransico or miami or nyc and the area is pretty clear and i can see buildings etc...

now i zoom into where im live in London Ontario and its so blurry I cant see anything? is google going to update? my area isnt in the middle of no where

its 2 hours from toronto and thats not very clear either..

why are some areas so clear and others not?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Because thousands of people aren't going to want to look at your house...

It's done by priority I guess, well known areas are high def, where as areas that people aren't going view, aren't

3. Queso macrumors G4

Some areas just get more attention from the satellites with higher-definition cameras that's all. Google's main provider launched another satellite last week to speed up the process of getting the high definition images into GE, so it will get there. It just takes time.

4. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

The image quality is improving with time though. I couldn't see anything clearly when I went to any other countries maps but not I guess they are updating regularly and hopefully soon every place in the world will have the same good quality images.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Some images are over 3 years old while others are just a few months. They want to get the bigger cities mapped out first.

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

The highest definition imagery on google earth is taken aerially, so the satellite doesn't help getting super high-def imagery. I guess they just can't find anyone that wants to fly around London, ON and take pictures?

7. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    The city where I live is rumored to have a secret CIA base, and I have always assumed that is why my area is blurry on Google maps whereas a few miles out it's clear as a bell.

8. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You might think that, but take a look at Groom AFB or most other "secret" installations.....most of them are clear as a bell, and the ones that aren't are typically in remote areas where the demand for overhead imagery isn't as strong.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

On the other hand, most of Missouri (I think...I get the "M" states confused a lot) is green when viewed from afar. I heard it's because they keep those b-52's or F-117's or whatever there.

10. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Maybe you guys can answer why my school is still under construction when I look it up on Google Earth. :)

11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Because a lot of the images in Google Earth are older......it is not a real time image.

12. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

google maps pixelates some government areas, e.g., the Vice President's house

ETA: Maybe the government could simply pay google some money to pixelate the barracks shaped like a swastika.

13. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

On a sad note, I see the images of Walt Disney World have been updated. 20,000 Leagues is gone for good. :(

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

On that note, why is can you look up Area 51 on Google Earth and it's crystal clear?

15. bartelby macrumors Core

That's your imagination. Area 51 doesn't exist.

16. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Alien Cloaking Technology

17. MK2007 macrumors regular

3 years? Listen, many of their images are SEVERAL years old!

The very populated area where I live has such old photos. This is a major city whose photos have not been updated in many years. I have lived in this current part of the city for over 3 years, and Google's photos were years old back when I moved in April 2004.

They must have made a one time payment for these satellite photos and never get any updates.

18. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Uh, that's "Groom Lake AFB" I referenced above. ;)

19. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I know it's not real time, but my school was built like 7 years ago. :eek:

20. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Those are B-2s in Missouri. I don't know why they would need to hide the images since these bombers use "stealth" technology. ;)

21. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

B2s are based at Whiteman, which shows up as clearly as anything else. You can make out A-10s, T-38s, and AH-64s. I'm assuming the B2s are in the big hangars, as I think the stealth surfaces are somewhat weather intolerant. Also doesn't hurt to prevent pictures.....

22. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Well the government "wants" you to "know" about some "secret" bases. It gives the public the illusion that they have a handle on things. To me, bases like Area 51 are obvious decoys to keep up disinterested in the real secret operations the government has. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a second US government that no one even knows about.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think anyone who cares about B-2s knows what they look like already. I mean, they're called "flying wings" even!

24. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

My fault, I didn't know that until I looked it up after I posted and was too lazy to delete it. :)

25. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Google hasn't updated Denver since May 24, 2002. How do I know the date?

>My sister's car is in the front of the house, meaning that she just came home from school.
    >Invesco Field is set up for the Rapids.
    >This was the last summer before my neighbors redid their driveway.

And it's the entire town, too. The street level thing is a little newer, however (my street was photographed around November 2006.)