Why are some conservatives so vile?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Nov 12, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

This thread won't have a link to any article, it's just a discussion about something I've noticed in my conversations with people. I notice that in talking to conservatives I hear a lot of "our way or the highway" mentality. I hear a lot about their dreams of "California falling into the ocean" and "deporting all liberals".
    These aren't kids in their 20's either, these are middle aged adults. This kind of polarized rhetoric is scary to me. They seem to be under the impression that anyone who holds liberal views is less than patriotic and less worthy of being an American citizen than them. There's a pervasive "we're the REAL Americans and we just tolerate you liberals and let you stick around" vibe radiating from so many of the conversations I have with conservatives. Granted, it's not ALL of them, but enough that it's becoming very noticeable. What's the deal? Why is there such a foaming at the mouth hatred from so many of them of anything they deem "liberal"?

I'm unfortunate enough to be surrounded predominantly by conservative co-workers, and I hear a lot of this.

2. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Conservatives are inherently that, averse to change, and as such discussion about change scares them. That's why they fall for the amount of BS and crap on things like Fox News and etc...

ON the other hand they just don't give a crap, they live in a world where they believe the only person worth fighting for is themselves.

In the end you get the result where they're not open minded and outwardly appear irrational, but that's just because they're stuck in the mud.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think it's tribalism.

The dominant group feels free to vent their resentment against "the other".

But I do suspect that it's a common trait shared by most humans, and not just a conservative thing.

4. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Not always true though. One of my co-workers is a 60 year old woman who donates much of her time volunteering with the red cross. She spends much of her time and money on other people. She's an amazing person and a total sweetheart. However, when she opens her mouth to talk politics, it's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The republicans seem to be doing okay with the voters.

6. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Dominant in which way though? Dominant as in currently having control of Congress? They're not dominant by any means in New Jersey, they're the minority here.

----------

I read this statement over a few times, and no matter how hard I try I just can't find a way to link it to my OP in any way, shape, or form. That's normal for you though.

7. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I don't think many people seriously want California- by itself the world's 8th largest economy- to pass into the ocean. It's rhetoric that's driven by conservative media, which has to be sensational and warn everyone of constant 'threats' to stay relevant.

But it's also not just conservatives. Plenty of liberals think anybody who isn't rich but still votes for Republicans is an idiot/hillbilly. The country's very polarized right now.

8. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Those types scare me because at the heart of it they turn around with some superficial thing or another and call you a bleeding heart social justice warrior.

----------

"We're doing ok, we don't need you to understand us."

9. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Hope he still feels that way when the pendulum starts swinging away from his party again...

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'm not going to lie OP, I find this topic a little ironic coming from you.

And there are more than enough vile liberals out there. It's just the nature of human beings.

11. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Calling people out on their douchebaggery is not the same as being a douchebag yourself.

I guess maybe there are, but I'm saying that in my day to day experience going to work and talking to people, I don't hear that kind of rhetoric from liberals. As a matter of fact, liberals are much less "tribal" in my observations, most times can't even be identified until you know them better. I see conservative articles being shared on facebook all the time, but not so many articles from liberal sites. Hard to attribute this to my location, as most of my facebook friends come from the same place. Conservatives seem to be much more vocal in their beliefs, something that liberals can definitely learn from them. However, liberals seem to be much less needy of assurance from other people that their views are correct and are less likely to bring up their politics at work or in social settings.

12. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

You shouldn't try to identify people, as my parents said, politics is a subject best left untouched. The issue is you can destroy friendships and relationships by going there. Just live and let be, you might me some really interesting people even if they are conservatives.

13. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The problem is when some insist on discussing their political views any chance they get. Someone in my office said something about Ebola, I mentioned that the US is now free of ebola. All of a sudden, another co-worker blurts about that the ebola thing was just a created distraction for a failed presidency. I tried to pick his brain to try to understand how that made sense to him, but to no avail. Just something he read on the interwebz.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Open minded? Pretty funny coming from a guy who listens to south park & Michael Moore. :D

----------

Ebola is gone right after the midterms. The Ebola scare did not work as obama hoped *****dons thin foil hat****

----------

You seem to be from NJ. Doubt there are any real "conservatives" out there:p

15. SLC Flyfishing, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014

SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Yes, but I've seen you drop some pretty vile comments here. Things that I would qualify as "douchebaggery"; you'd probably say the same about me, heck I'd probably say the same about me. But I'm not the one pretending that one group of people has a corner on the DB market.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I just mean within Your circle of co-workers. They seem to be the dominant opinion.

17. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I listen to everything, but when redneck garbage rears its head I'll label it that and I'm not afraid to do so.

18. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Actually, I'm glad you mentioned that! The funny thing is when they get wound up they start talking about putting welfare recipients on the street because they heard a story about some lady who was on welfare for 12 years and has an iPhone. Then a few minutes later after they calm down from the rabid mouth diahrea, they retract their statements and talk about how they don't really want to end welfare but are mad about the people who abuse it. Yet, they have no statistics about how few people are on it long term and they just get emotional from click bait news stories.

19. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

*shrug* yeah, yeah, cool story yeah...

Problem solved.

20. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Do you carry meme flash cards around? ;)

21. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

It's not that hard to find comical moments in episodes of South Park, Futurama and the Simpsons that poor scorn on societal issues such as that one. It comes from a youth spent sitting in front of these kinds of shows and the fact by now that you've seen them so many times, it's certain moments that are just perfect for the situation.

22. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It's true. And for that reason I try not to even mention anything that could remotely be connected to politics. I slipped up today with the whole ebola thing though.

23. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Maybe it just has something to do with the way you perceive others OP.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Perhaps it is your perception that gives you this "reality" you describe.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Please, you don't even listen/remember what you watched and want others to wtch it for you:rolleyes: