Why are successful black people looked down upon by liberals/blacks?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dinaluvsApple, Nov 14, 2010.

1. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/24/brit-hume-juan-williams_n_772960.html?ir=Politics
    Brit Hume: NPR Fired Juan Williams For Being A 'Bill Cosby Liberal'

"Williams was fired because he didn't fit NPR's "culture" of what an African-American news analysts should be."

what should an african american be in order to be respected by other blacks?

1. hate whitey?
    2. blame whitey for all their problems?
    3. promote black only anything but everything else is racist?

And I think it is simply this, that in the culture of NPR, appearing on Fox is a sin. And in the culture of NPR, for an African American man like Juan, regardless of his extraordinary stature, to be there and be kind of a Bill Cosby liberal, not a down-the-line liberal, is a sin as well.

apply this to any other successful black such as will smith, bill cosby, chris rock.

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Being a "whitey" myself, I am unqualified to give proper perspective.

But here is my opinion...
    I would assume the hundreds of years of white oppression has built up some resentment to anything "white", including success by playing/joining the "white mans game".

The successful black person is viewed as "not keeping it real".

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

President Obama?

I think your thesis is utterly full of holes and it's interesting that you should take Brit Hume's view on what black people think as being a definitive statement. Instead, here's what a conservative black guy has to say:

Anyone who isn't black and is interested in this topic could do worse that checking out black journalists such as Ta-Nehisi Coates and Cord Jefferson.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Please provide some form of proof that the people you just listed are looked down upon by the black community and/or liberals.

It's one thing to throw out statements like yours... it's entirely another to have them backed up by more than your imagination.

Facts please.

7. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

Georgetown University sociology professor Michael Eric Dyson wrote a book in 2005 entitled Is Bill Cosby Right or Is the Black Middle Class Out of Touch?[32] In the book, Dyson wrote that Cosby was overlooking larger social factors that reinforce poverty and associated crime; factors such as deteriorating schools, stagnating wages, dramatic shifts in the economy, offshoring and downsizing, chronic underemployment, and job and capital flight.[33] Dyson suggested Cosby's comments "betray classist, elitist viewpoints rooted in generational warfare."[32]

8. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Why do those who lack degrees look down upon those with advanced degrees?
    Why do those with advanced degrees look down upon those who don't have degrees?
    Why have some whites looked down on minority groups?

This is a fruitless discussion and just because an opinion piece has been posted does not make in any more useful than the first time this thread was started.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Agreed. One of the ugliest threads I've seen here for some time... and I've seen a few. Juan Williams was fired for remarks that are on the public record that many thought were grossly insensitive, not because Brit Hume thinks he was an Uncle Tom.

I'd like to hear how and where the OP of this thread has successfully tapped into, amalgamated and summarised the views of millions of black people.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No, technically he would be a Mulatto.

And until we reach the point where we are all Heinz 57 "dogs", things will not get much better.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If you're going to steal swathes of text from wikipedia and pretend their you're own at least remove the reference numbers.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

At least 5P managed that :p.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I doubt anyone else, in this august company, thought they were his own words.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not the point, of course.

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If you're going to lazily copy and paste a reply that is someone else's work you quote it and reference it. It is plagiarism again.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

17. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

grammar policing is the last line of defense when they have no clever rebuttals.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Plagiarism is the first port of call for the dishonest individual who lacks the intellect to come up with their own arguments.

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Why are successful black people looked down upon by conservatives? Why are unsuccessful black people looked down upon by conservatives?

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Plagiarism is not grammar.

21. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Same with the poor, pregnant women, homosexuals, Jews, Muslims, atheists, and hispanics...