Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flori13

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Hey forum,
Why is some of the button placement on Apple Music and Photos so out of place? I don't get why it is so hard to be consistent with the placements of the heart and share button.. (See https://imgur.com/a/Me8uT)
The order is so inconsistent, it seems to me like these were never thought-trough.

Once I saw it, I could not unsee it.
But hey, maybe I am missing a reason, since I am not a developer. So I'd like to hear your opinion about it.

Last edited:

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Yeah I've noticed the inconsistency as well, but it hasn't bothered me enough to really look into it like you have. But yeah it feels like it always takes a little searching to find the share sheet button, delete, etc. Pretty annoying. Many discrepancies between iPad and iPhone I feel as well.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
If you want to talk about discrepancies, just look at Control Centre.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Yeah button consistency and placement is one of those little things that can annoy.

My latest peeve is that the 'My Location' arrow button is on the left hand side of Maps when I feel it should be more easily accessed on the right (like Google Maps). It's more important than the i button.

flori13

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Well, if there is honestly no intention for this easy to see inconsistency, then it strongly suggests they either:
1. don't know what they are doing.
2. rushed this software and then never bothered to look at this again.
3. or simply didn't care.

For me, this negligence is definitely not 'Apple like', even they always pride themselfs to be perfectionists.
[doublepost=1458036086][/doublepost]
Yeah button consistency and placement is one of those little things that can annoy.

My latest peeve is that the 'My Location' arrow button is on the left hand side of Maps when I feel it should be more easily accessed on the right (like Google Maps). It's more important than the i button.
Yeah you are right, I also believe the location button should be somewhere on the right, but then it creates the question where to put the (i). the (i) button IMO really needs to be on the right, left seems very out place. I guess they compromised.

But since we are on the topic of Apple Maps: Coming from a frequent user myself, they should finally implement the 'one finger tab, then one finger hold' for zooming with one hand from Google. Once familiar with the gesture, it becomes extremely handy.
(Or is there a 3D Touch Integration for this?)

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Well, if there is honestly no intention for this easy to see inconsistency, then it strongly suggests they either:
1. don't know what they are doing.
2. rushed this software and then never bothered to look at this again.
3. or simply didn't care.

For me, this negligence is definitely not 'Apple like', even they always pride themselfs to be perfectionists.
[doublepost=1458036086][/doublepost]
Yeah you are right, I also believe the location button should be somewhere on the right, but then it creates the question where to put the (i). the (i) button IMO really needs to be on the right, left seems very out place. I guess they compromised.

But since we are on the topic of Apple Maps: Coming from a frequent user myself, they should finally implement the 'one finger tab, then one finger hold' for zooming with one hand from Google. Once familiar with the gesture, it becomes extremely handy.
(Or is there a 3D Touch Integration for this?)
I've been sending Apple feedback asking for that one finger zoom gesture for a while! Also interested to know if there's a 3D touch gesture for that

Regarding the Maps button placement once more: You're right that there are compromises, part of the problem is them trying to stick to that layout of buttons along the bottom, whereas Google are unburdened by that and stacked a couple of buttons on the bottom right with no problem

But sticking to their current paradigm, the 'i' could be a '...' type menu in the top right, moving the share button to the bottom. The route button could move to the bottom panel too. Anyway, it's just silly little things that aren't worth proposing ideas for :p

flori13

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Anyway, it's just silly little things that aren't worth proposing ideas for :p
Yeah you are right, we honestly should not have to come up with new button placements. But the fact that we question them with valid, better examples, strongly suggests that Apple simply didn't do their best job with them.

Just switch the god da*n heart and share button in Apple Musics album view:D
heart is left, share is right (this applies even on a Pins Detail Page in Maps:rolleyes: -
https://imgur.com/a/3sKEd)

Last edited:
Reactions: GreyOS

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Apple just can't please everyone. I'm sure that even if they would follow your advices there would be someone else complaining because he want it in a different way....

flori13

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Apple just can't please everyone. I'm sure that even if they would follow your advices there would be someone else complaining because he want it in a different way....
I understand where you come from, but they would please everyone (at least with the button layout) as long as they are consistent with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.