Why are the majority of MacRumors members Liberal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Videomanmac, May 27, 2018.

1. Videomanmac Suspended

Videomanmac

Just look at the 'Politics, Religion, and Social Issues' forum. Nearly every thread is bashing Trump. Why are people on MacRumors such liberals? Where are us proud republicans at?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because Trump is very hard to credibly defend as he’s doing a bad job.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hiding your heads in shame, I would hope.

5. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I know some Republicans who are now bashing Trump. Whats the common denominator here? Trump... I don't think it's a matter of being a proud Republican, it's a matter of choosing a competent leader to represent your party. In my opinion there have been too many compromises and concessions made by your party just to "support the party".

I respect many Republican ideals. I just don't respect Trump. Besides, didn't he used to be a Democrat?

CNN interview with Wolf Blitzer in 2004. "In many cases, I probably identify more as Democrat," Trump said, and at the time he was a registered Democrat.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

To Trump's credit though - he was probably lying ;) Trump is only interested in Trump.

7. pmau macrumors 65816

Liberal has so many different meanings.
    You are just referring yo the US centric POV.
    I would never call myself a Liberal, not even if I'd be in the US.

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

People supporting or bashing Trump just because there is an R next to his name is what is wrong with politics today. If you're proud to be a Republican that's great. But it doesn't mean you have to support Trump or what he stands for just because he happens to be a Republican. At the same token, just because you are a Democrat doesn't mean you have to hate Trump.

The bigger problem than Trump himself are the people that vote for Republicans or Democrats just because they put themselves into that "team". Someone who didn't like Trump, but voted for him anyway because he was sick of losing in the past two presidential elections( different forum I go on).

It should always be country above party, but sadly it appears party is being put ahead of country in todays state of politics. People are happy with what Trump is doing just because it riles up the left. That kind of partisanship needs to be killed ASAP.

9. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

There are definitely a number of conservatives and/or Republicans here; I've seen several gun-related threads where conservative opinions were in the majority and getting the most likes. But I wouldn't judge political leaning just based on Trump. I've seen recent "Trump critical" threads from more conservative users.

10. Rum_Becker Suspended

Because they get all the conservative voices banned.

11. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

To save you from confusion all you have to remember is it is "Us vs Them". Doesn't matter which party, just remember the "Other party" are the bad guys. Thats all you need to know.

No matter what "They" say, say the opposite. Doesn't matter the topic. It just has to be the opposite of the "Other party". If you get confused go to your favorite partisan site and pick up a few catch phrases. Come back here and cut and paste. If that doesn't work start with the personal attacks. If that doesn't work bring up the past. Talk about things their party did 20 or 30 years ago. And never admit you were wrong. For the love of god never admit you changed you mind and understood someone else's point of view. Don't be tempted.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Jones, is that you?

13. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I have been suspended several times on this site for responding to comments like yours.

14. darksithpro, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018

darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Couple of thoughts. You don't have to be a Republican if you have conservative views. Also, Trump is Republican only by name RINO. He's a populist with conservative viewpoints, which coincidentally align to the R-party. In the past he favored both parties on different topics and he has also donated to both parties extensively. You guys say Bernie wasn't betrayed, because he wasn't a real Democrat. So the same thing can be said about Trump.

15. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I don't think it's about bashing Trump or that everyone is such liberals...it just so happens that the majority here tend to lean left. I enjoy the debates/conversations and would gladly have a drink with any of you.

16. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

Or, you could find yourself in neither party.

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Traditionally, I'm more of a Republican. I call myself a fiscal conservative. There are, however, social issues where I am liberal....and still others where I am not.

The folks who are against Trump are the ones who do not side blindly with a party.

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

You must have missed quite a few deportations, sir... but I'm missing a bunch of pals !!

(ok so some of them were from the right... but a lot of them were not)

In my observation most of the time, the righties who get banned bring it on themselves and the lefties who get banned don't leave well enough alone when they're being trolled... even though they know they're being trolled. No one's immune from having a post reported, after all. And if it breaks guidelines.. sayonara.
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2018 ---
    I rest half my previously presented case. :D

19. 0007776 Suspended

And I’ve noticed that even though depending on the thread I may express a conservative or a liberal viewpoint it’s only the conservative ones that get warnings.

20. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

i heard they are also taken to ungodly pizza places... then they drop like flies.

21. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

In a party where many of its base are calling people like McCain, Lindsey Graham, Jeff Flake, Rubio and others "RINOs", its easy to see why so many members here are "liberal" or perceived as such. Being a conservative is going to get harder, it seems.
    Not sure "who you guys" are, but I absolutely think Bernie was betrayed by the DNC.

22. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I agree because to support Trump (R) as Republicans means they are practicing tribalism as in any sad sack, even a dispicable sadcsack is better than a Democrat or a liberal, or are supporting the end justifies the means, whatever good end they imagine.

The worst part is abandoning most of their moral positions concerning honesty and integrity. Trump is the polar opposite of any good values and the reason he is still in office is because Cingressional Republicans have abandoned their responsibilities as Representatives in Congressand protecting the integrity of the Federal Govt. They sit back and watch SL try to destroy the justice Department and anyone, Republicans included, who speaks against him or who are investigating very questionable behavior on his part.. :mad:

23. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

In the UK I was a card carrying member of the Conservative Party. Here in the US I'm a Democratic voter. Say's more about the state of the Republican party to me personally than anything else.

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

25. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I believe the reasons for the majority here possibly leaning left are two-fold at the moment.

The usual reason could be that Mac / Apple users may lean more left than right. A lot of them use Macs in creative endeavors and those segments of industry often do lean left. Perhaps most MacRumors members first show up at the site looking for gear-related information and then discover PRSI later on. If the lean-left tendency of Mac users does exist, then I would expect that to have some effect on this forum's participation... even if it's also true that the PRSI forum itself may draw attention from outside, and so may attract new (and conservative) members who patiently plod through 100 posts in other threads in order to get in here and try to "even up" the perceived lean of PRSI. ​

The other reason is Trump Trump Trump. The far right has mostly decided in his favor and is hanging in there but some moderate Republicans and indies are becoming more critical of The Don as time goes on. We all know people who voted for Trump but who now seriously don't like his trade war gig or don't like the fact that he has undermined some reasonable attempts to work on immigration reform this year short of his damn wall.​