Why are there no African Americans in Apple commercials?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gothamm, May 20, 2010.

1. gothamm macrumors 6502a

Never seen any.

Please know that I don't mean to start up a heated flame war. I am doing a research paper on apple's advertising campaigns, and have not come across ANY commercials with black people in them. Is there an instance anyone can provide where they are depicted?

Could anyone provide possible reasons for this being the case?

2. macfan881 macrumors 68020

obviously havent look hard look again in the new iPad Commercial

http://www.apple.com/ipad/gallery/#ad

they use plenty of African american Singers in thee iPod+iTunes commercials in the past

again try doing some research before you post especially when dealing with this kinda topic

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

4. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

De La Soul was in one of those I am a Mac commercials

youtube it

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What about all the iPod commercials? Sure, the dancers were simply silhouettes, but most of them were black or at least that was implied through facial features, dreadlocks/braids and dare I say it, dancing style.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The old iPod commercials had sillouettes that were probably African American. Other than the hi, I'm a Mac and the hands, I'm not sure if I've seen anyone else in an apple commercial.

8. Queso macrumors G4

You didn't notice Muhammad Ali and Martin Luther King included as Crazy Ones? :confused:

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Seriously I thought this was a joke but I get what you mean. Off hand I wasn't able to think of one but I did see the one linked and really? I mean sure the whole advert is with hands and I get that, but that is one of few. The ratio is way off. I don't know what that means or if it means anything at all but that does seem to be the case.

10. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

I dont know weather the OP is suggesting racism or inequality, but comments like this annoy me. Why should there be people from all races in an advert? I'm sure there are many cases where people haven't been hired because of their ethnic background, and i am not disputing that. But if apple (or their advertising agency) need 3 actors for an advert, they get 100 applicants, 50 from an ethnic majority and 50 from an ethnic minority. They go on to shortlist, interviews, test centres etc and it turns out that the three best applicants are from an ethnic majority.

Should apple hire the best applicants or the ones that make them seem more politically correct?

Surely if you hire someone from an ethnic minority, when they are not the best applicant for the job, but because you feel you need their presence in the advert to make it politically correct then you are putting all the applicants that are better and more suited for the job at a disadvantage.

I suppose it comes down to weather you want the strongest work force or a politically correct one. I'd like to think that they are both the same but unfortunately, in most cases, they are not.

11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

It depends on how the marketing is being used. I have seen commercials that were done for overseas markets where the actor's national origins were vague enough that the same ad could be shown in multiple markets as a "local shot" with voiceovers handling language responsibilities. In that case, it can make sense to appear politically correct over hiring the best applicants.

12. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We have ratios for commercials now? Technically the ratio of black people to white should be 1:8 according to population. The government should definitely step in to enforce this.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I just watched a few of the I'm a Mac and I'm a PC commercials and saw opportunities for inclusion that were missed.

The lack of minorities does demonstrate some sense of "tone-deafness" among the Apple marketers.

I am happy to see that in the new iPad commercial this lack of representation has been addressed.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Probably because the majority of their customers are rich white kids. :eek:

16. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

17. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

I suppose in this example that would be true but you couldn't say the same for all examples.

However, you could argue that if you are making a multi cultured audience then the requirements for the actors is to have them from multiple ethnicities.

18. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

"Steve Jobs doesn't care about black people."

19. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

Well, only 12% of the people in the US are black. That's probably why.

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Probably less than that actually. I think Apple has adequate representation of Negroes in their advertisements.

21. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

22. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

There are plenty of blacks in Apple commercials. The spokesman for the 3Gs was.... BLACK. Also the 'hand' in the last iPhone commercial was black.

23. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

So are we supposed to have a proper racial mix in commercials? Is there an unwritten rule?

24. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

25. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Off the top of my head, I remember a couple of the "I'm a mac" series that portray African Americans... ads named "party is over" and "cart"... plus another one that portrays one who seems to be of Hindu ascent. Here are screenshots of them.

But I agree - there seem's to be a low representation of certain minorities. But that's what marketing b.s. is all about, isn't it? Plus, who takes TV ads or any corporations' marketing seriously?

cheers!

Attached Files: