Why Are There So Many Atheists Here?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, Apr 22, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

This makeup of this forum's members intrigues mean slightly. Why are most of the posters here Atheists? Is it part of the Mac using demographic, the Internet in general's demographic, or are Atheists just the most interested in Politics, Religon, and Social Issues?

2. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Didn't you know? Aside from owning Apple products it's also quite trendy being an atheist. They think they don't need to back up their points with Reason or facts so it's a kind of intellectual laziness which compels most people.

I'm not saying that I'm a devout Christian or anything of the sort, I'm agnostic, but it's based on Reason.

3. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

iz cald teh interwebz, der r lotz ov werd peplz hre.

The internet has a lot of anarchists too, they typically think they are one of the few people who have broken free of the slave mindset of their country

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

proof?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Please expound on said reason, for the benefit of all...

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Science is where you will find the real answers

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I consider myself an atheist who tries to back up my points with facts. I've seen most other posters who are atheists do the same. I hope you are wrong about it being a "trendy" thing to do but I do hope more people see the reasoning behind atheism and join us for the correct reasons. As far as agnostics go, I know the difference between us and I couldn't care less....close enough in my eyes!!!! An atheist and an agnostic arguing to me is like hearing a Catholic and a Protestant argue....such a small difference in something so important.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

To be fair there are both agnostic atheists and agnostic theists. I would assume most atheists fall in the former category.

9. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

"such a small difference"? Clearly you haven't studied theology

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

What a lazy, unreasonable opinion.

OP - how can one believe is a compassionate god when there are lyrics like these in the world?

11. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Nope, most people identify with atheism but when challenged to defend their points they just say "because God doesn't exist" or something along those lines. They don't try to do the simple paradox argument, or the existence of evil argument. It would therefore lead me to conclude that they're atheists because they were exposed to it in pop culture or something.

When someone tries to say there must be a God because the probability of mankind existing is x I counter it with "In a universe that is thought to be forever cycling through big bangs and big crunches eternally probability becomes meaningless. Intelligent life would eventually evolve anyway, without a divine hand to guide it.

There are arguments and counter-arguments to both camps, which is why I choose to be agnostos. In the face of a dearth of evidence it's more rational to withhold judgment than leap to an extreme position.

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Well supported points there :rolleyes:.

There are a-lot of atheists on these boards because there are quite a few far left atheists on these boards. Leftists are more likely to be atheists.

I like to believe it's because they make their decisions based on logic and reason.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I would argue not choosing to believe in a divine being is more rational than hedging your bets.

14. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

There is no reason to imagine that god does exist, one doesn't need to provide a reason for not believing in god.

Can you provide me an argument for why you don't believe in witches or Santa?

EDIT: It is not reasonable to imagine that something does exist just because there is no evidence to support its existence (in case this isn't obvious :/ )

15. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Yes, because witches and santa exist in space and time, God does not so rules which apply to people who live in space and time do not apply to God. It's physically impossible for santa to exist. Witches do exist, the Romanian parliament recently passed a law which said witches must pay taxes.

That's why God knows what's going to happen in the future but we still have free-will, because if you exist outside of time you can see everything that's going to happen or has happened because it's already happened.

16. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

Because the concept of earth and life just happening to explode into existence from nothing comes from logic and reason?

Interesting...

17. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Why?

Look up Pascal's wager

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You referring to the big bang, or those reported six days?

19. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Not a fan of Pascal's assumption of Christianity as the basis for his theorem.

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

In science when there is a dearth of evidence for something, you fail to reject the null hypothesis (which is that hypothesis x is incorrect).

If I wanted to make a claim about something, say that two bricks tied together will fall at the same rate as a single brick, I first have to make this my working hypothesis. The null hypothesis is that what I'm asserting is not true (in this case the null is that the bricks will fall at different rates). It's up to me to provide the evidence. If there isn't enough (or any) evidence, we fail to reject the null hypothesis.

When it comes to religion, it is the theologian who is making the claim. Thus, his working hypothesis is, "God exists." In searching for evidence, however, we come up with nothing. Thus we must fail to reject the null hypothesis, which is, "God does not exist."

Agnosticism is really the position that the an affirmative statement on the matter of deities is impossible to know. It doesn't have a rational basis in logic or science, thought it might make some people more comfortable with their skepticism.

Atheism is the position that, based on currently available evidence, there is no basis to consider any deity to be real. This could change as new evidence comes to light, of course. That is a quality you will not find in theism or agnosticism.

22. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

Well, considering the six days doesn't refer to six literal days, I must be referring to the big bang.

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You are confusing the Big Bang Theory with current biochemical theories regarding primitive life with planetary formation. They are all independent working models of how events have unfolded in the past.

The only thing they happen to have in common is stand in the way of stubborn beliefs.

24. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

As I said in my first post, most atheists that I speak to don't put this much thought and care into their atheism. They just take it for granted that it won't be challenged.

How can you prove something's existence that exists outside of time and space? I don't think it's possible except through pure reason.

25. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't Know what type of Atheists you meet, but most of those in this forum(theists too :D) DO argue their beliefs and do not expect them to go unchecked.