Why are we still debating vaccines?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AustinIllini, Mar 14, 2014.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This is a spin on Wild-Bill's thread about climate change.

In case you missed it:

Cavallari: She and Cutler not vaccinating their kids

Why is this still swirling around America destroying our herd immunity?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I wonder if Ebola was prevalent and there was an Ebola vaccine, if they'd say no to that too. ;)

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

*******s like these are why there are currently 19 cases of measles in NYC.

6. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I call myself an independent for reasons like this. It's not their right to put those who cannot be vaccinated at risk by ruining herd immunity.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What's interesting is although I could chalk it up to Darwin Awards, this is a case where these types of decisions put society in general at risk.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if YOUR kids are vaccinated then YOUR kids are just fine.

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It's definitely a touchy subject, but I generally agree. A persons rights extend only so far. If ones actions harms another person, their rights stop there. Not vaccinating their kids may harm others. So I don't see it as a parents right not to vaccinate their kids because it exposes others.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so if that miniature typhoid Mary goes and passes something on to other children or someone with immune problems and they die is that ok too?

----------

there was a study that was just conducted that shows nothing can change an antivaxxer's mind just like religion. I think if you are not going to vax your child they should not be allowed to go to school with the public. that's how it used to be and it was fine. all the reasons are just crap people have heard or found on the internet and never proven.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

aren't those kids with immune problems exposing other kids? :rolleyes:

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Up here, if religion gets in the way of a sound medical judgment in the treatment of a child, he/she is made a Ward of the Court, and the treatment goes ahead.

And example is the child of a JW that requires blood transfusions, and the parents forbid it on religious grounds.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Other kids are vaccinated against whatever the kid with immune problem has.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so post 8 is fine then, if YOUR kids are vaccinated then there is no problem.

15. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

People often focus on vaccines and what they are supposed to do and get up in arms when others say things like they are not vaccinating their kids.

The question is not if vaccines are effective - they have saved millions of human lives in history. The issue is that today, what they put in vaccines is disgusting and toxic. When you look at the ingredients and say "that will not harm my body or my children's" then I would classify you as out to lunch.

I mean, what more can you say to someone who thinks it's safe to inject Mercury into a toddler - or an adult for that matter?

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Not getting vaccinated by choice is a first world problem.

Because certain illnesses are rarely seen, it creates a false sense of security.

Visit India where there is still straight up plague and you'll be running to get vaccinated.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And what about kids too young to have been vaccinated? Do you want your 1 year old getting measles from some 4 year old at daycare whose parents decided against vaccinating them at?

18. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Took all of 10 seconds on Google to debunk that nonsense:

MYTH #4: There is a lot of mercury (thimerosol) in vaccines, which is dangerous.

FACT: Extensive research has failed to show any consistent link between thimerosal in vaccines and any health condition including autism. Thimerosal was removed from all routine child vaccines in 2001. Despite the removal of thimerosal from childhood vaccines, autism rates have continued to rise. This is the opposite of what would be expected if thimerosal caused autism.​

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Preconceived notions are the hardest to eradicate.

It's like ....... dare I say ....... a disease. :p

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Are kids REQUIRED to be vaccinated in order to attend day care?

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The number of people who can't be vaccinated is small enough that if everyone else is vaccinated they are protected through herd immunity. If enough parents are dumb enough not to vaccinate their kids then it causes diseases that are preventable to come back and infect people who are for various reasons such as having a weakened immune system, or being too young are not vaccinated.

My personal opinion on it is that no matter what we do some parents will still be stupid enough to not vaccinate their kids, and we should change the laws so that if a kid that wasn't vaccinated dies of a preventable disease the parents can be charged with murder, unless that kid has an actual reason why they couldn't be vaccinated in which case any parents of non vaccinated kids at their school or anywhere else they could have come in contact with the disease should be charged.

22. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Vaccines don't provide immunity 100% of the time.

Then again if protecting your own children isn't powerful enough motivation to get them vaccinated I don't think the risks that are being caused to other peoples children will make much difference.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

What if you believe you ARE protecting your kids by NOT vaccinating them?

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You obviously can't require vaccines of kids too young to have them.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Then you're an idiot and no better than the parents who let their children die because they'd rather pray their illness away than get medical treatment - and we've prosecuted some of those people before.