Why are you for illegal immigration?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Serious question.

Between reports on news outlets and conversations I have had, I have to wonder why some people are so accepting of illegal immigration. So why?

I remember being in a thread on another board about "keep right except to pass" laws and there were a good number of people who were completely against anyone speeding on the Interstate, even 5 mph over. Yet others are fine allowing who knows who to just stroll into the country.

This is not about the wall and if it will or won't be effective. But why some people are willing to allow anyone to come here without following the rules.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

no matter what America is America because of illegal immigration. illegal immigrants do the jobs Americans won't do. we depend on them for a lot of our produce and other work. the rich use them for help even while complaining about illegal immigration.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Because borders are imaginary lines that separate humans from one and other. We are all children of the planet and should become one people.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I feel we are barring the stable doors after the horse has bolted.

No issue with border defences. But they should have been started under Clinton.

5. MaulRx Suspended

I don't think any rational person is for illegal immigration. More like they are against knee jerk reactions that discriminate everyone for the actions of a few. Immigration is necessary for the future of our country.

6. casperes1996 macrumors 68030

casperes1996

Well, I think to most people, at least me anyway, it's not about illegal immigration being "ok" per se, because anything illegal obviously isn't. It's more about what should be legal, what shouldn't, and how such things should be handled.
    If a murderer is running after you with a chainsaw, and the only possible way you see if escaping from him, is through private property, don't you find it justified to break into private property to escape the killer? If someone ran across the Mexican border to escape something in their own country, would they be an illegal immigrant, yes. Would it be humane to just chuck em back into the killer's arms? I don't think so. (this metaphor was not written with any specific real world example in mind, but merely as a ludicrous example of an extreme situation that could potentially explain some thoughts that go into other less extremified situations).

Beyond that there are also people who're just into the concept of an open world, which to a large extend is actually proven to help world economy.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2017 ---
    Oh yeah - and then there's that! ^

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I'm not for illegal immigration, never have been.

I'm for a proactive solution to illegal immigration, which to me means looking at why illegal immigration happens and addressing that directly. To me, illegal immigration from South America happens because their economies are bad and parts are overrun with violence. If we help them get their economies in order and obtain peace, there will be less illegal immigration. Dollar for dollar, this makes way more sense than any wall.

I'm also realistic in that there are illegal immigrants that may be my neighbors. I'd like them to not shy away from talking to the police if there is real danger in the neighborhood; I'd like them to not fear talking to me; and I'd like them to be productive members of society. Thus, I do not think automatic deportation is the answer to all questions.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think you are conflating illegal immigration with lawful, vetted, and VISA-issued immigration of refugees and other persons from Muslim-majority countries.

I'm not in favor of illegal immigration, from Mexico, from Canada, Britain, Ireland or any other country on earth. If somebody wants to visit the US - do it properly, and legally. Get a visa (if one is required from your country) - and make sure you return home before its term expires. Don't work in the US illegally if you have only a tourist visa. Don't commit crimes while in the US, and for heaven's sake don't try and bring in drugs or other contraband.

If anyone happens to be in the US without the proper documentation? That gets a little complicated. Because many hundreds of thousands of such people would find it personally devastating to return to whatever their "home" country is. People who were brought to the US as infants, and have grown up, gone to school, and built lives as "Americans." Are they supposed to return to Guatemala or Mexico, never having lived there? But someone who has overstayed their tourist visa from last year? The person who paid a coyote to guide him across the Sonoran desert in the Arizona? Sorry - but those people either need to go home on their own, or accept deportation in a humane, legal, and expeditious manner.

People who have State-Department issued refugee or other visas to enter the United States? They have every right to enter this country. Many of them have performed valuable services for our military in their home countries, actions that have put them at risk. Others have skills and training that will provide great value to this country - to our private businesses, to our institutions of higher learning, and to our medical system. They have been "checked out" by trained US diplomats, their names and other data has been checked over by a host of US Government agencies - and they have been granted visas to enter the US.

9. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Let's all cross the border of your property and just hang out at your place. We will eat your food. Sleep in your bed. Use your car. And take a portion of your paycheck. We're all one people right? And those imaginary lines around your property are meaningless.

11. MaulRx Suspended

Are you going to do the jobs we don't want to do?

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    How do you know?

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

If we stopped paying unemployment and welfare then those jobs would get filled by Americans.

14. 5684697 Suspended

And we should all ride unicorns, live on lollipops and enjoy puppy dog kisses all day.

Anyone who is for unvetted immigration from countries like Yemen and Somalia is out of their mind. Imaginary lines that depict places who hate the very people who are welcoming them with open arms. The US is comprised of something like 13% immigrants. That's great, a country should embrace immigration, of people who are skilled and needed, who are assets, not liabilities.

Children of the world include people who maim, murder, oppress and hate. No thanks.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

There is no need, at least for the majority. Pay for those job would inevitably increase, and more low-income Americans would do them.
    What the heck did you drink/smoke today??! #ShareIt!

16. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I just have a curious question. Why is it the United States responsibility to fix another countries economy?

17. MaulRx Suspended

...you are serious?

18. casperes1996 macrumors 68030

casperes1996

Do you want the marxist answer or the capitalist-logic answer?

You'll get both, starting with the one I think you'll like the most.
    World economy isn't a zero sum game. The better the economy of other countries, the more valuable the trade with said countries can be, which can benefit everyone, growing all economies even further. So if the US helps the mexican economy, it'll actually be helping its own economy. Or in a more local example; If you help people with their obesity problems by funding healthier foods so poor people aren't forced to eat McDonald's, you'll reduce the amount of money required to go into treatment of sick people suffering from obesity problems.

The Marxist reason, is that rich countries like the US are keeping poor countries down for their own benefit, because the rich countries benefit from the poor staying poor, so they can get cheap work and resources from there. In that scenario, the logic is that it's the fault of the US that Mexico is poor, so you have a responsibility when it comes to helping with fixing it.

These are two of the main theories on the subject.

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Always

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

there you go take away money and everyone will get off their butts and work. cause all poor people are lazy worthless bums. man this is such a old conservative lie they keep telling themselves. but hey then you don't have to think about them right?

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I'm not in favor of completely open borders, but the actual threat illegal immigrants pose is blown way out of proportion.

They've become scapegoats, getting blamed for every imaginable economic hardship, every communicable disease, every available drug on the streets, and whatever else the far right decides to blame on them.

22. glindon macrumors regular

glindon

Certainly those jobs were getting done before the huge influx of illegal immigration. They were done by everyday Americans. What happened to those people?

23. MaulRx Suspended

You should go back to Day 1 of our country. The backbone of labor in this country has always been immigrants. Literally nothing from the roads to the parks would exist without them.

24. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

are you sure about that?

25. 5684697 Suspended

US is currently comprised of 13% immigrants. There was a time, the one you are referencing, where you had to have a skill, a sponsor, learn english etc to be admitted. This was BEFORE the Welfare State too.