Why are you for illegal immigration?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Feb 8, 2017.

1. MaulRx Suspended

A judge has to have a reasonable belief that the courts will overturn something to issue a Restraining order or a stay.
    If and when they go to the Supreme Court, they will agree.

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

No, the judges should be simply looking at if the Judge in WA even had grounds. He does not. Even another district court in Boston agrees. No surprise that the Appeals court may swing left as they are known for that and even they were asking questions that were not appropriate or in context of what they were asked to do. I do believe the SCOTUS, even liberal judges there, will vote in his favor. I believe they will do the right thing.

3. MaulRx Suspended

That is not correct. That is only one aspect of what they will be looking at. You need to read up on the basics of law.

4. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I know the law. Just don't care to go into details with people here who don't.

5. MaulRx Suspended

"I'm right 'cause I said so."

Give me a break.

6. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Why am I for illegal immigration?

Well, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for an illegal immigrant.

7. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

aww you don't want to share the ball

8. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

If you consider yourself one of the adults, I would advice you to speak more respectfully to your fellow commenters. Nothing constructive comes out of just saying "It's so basic there's no point in explaining it". You say it's all grade school material, but you know, perhaps you counterpart in this argument knows something that is on a more advanced level than what you learned at grade school, and would therefore like an elaboration on your material, which he can then constructively build on with more sources and informations, so that you can grow in intelligence and opinion - or perhaps you are far more superior in information, and could inform stupid people here on the actual immigration policies of the US when it was in its infancies, helping us grow. – Either way, I see no negative to replying less like a ****. :)

9. SusanK macrumors 68000

Thanks for the offer. I'm not in the market for more in-laws. :)

10. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I'm not. The end. If you don't have enough respect for a country to abide by its imigration laws, then stay out.

11. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

The good news is even the dems agree with enforcing the LAW and now with Trump's team coming together, we have some real backing to get things enforced and actually done!

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I say we send Bernie Sanders down to Mexico City, he can really turn that country around. Make it the Denmark of North America.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2017 ---
    The estimates show that the average illegal immigrant contributes 10K in taxes but utilizes $24k annually in welfare and services. Do the math. 62% of households headed by an illegal immigrant use at least one major welfare program. Listen, I've all ready had my health insurance premiums skyrocket for the greater good, I'm sure I could swing an extra $3 for guacamole.

The laws need to start being applied in the country and that goes for more than just illegal immigration. If we just want to keep turning a blind eye because it's too hard, or a few benefit, then the incentive to keep breaking the law continues to grow and the problem becomes that much harder to fix. My family came here trying to escape the Nazi's, something far more horrific than anything anyone is escaping right now in the 21st century. My grandfather was allowed in 5yrs before my grandmother and my uncle. They had to live through it to the end in order to come to America LEGALLY.

13. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Because it creates more jobs to get em out. Thank you illegals! It's because of YOU, that thousands of people can feed their families!

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Source please.

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

Thats extremely low. A vast majority of US citizens have been immigrants at some point, no? Like 90% ish?

16. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Even using the words "without proper documentation" is such a cop out. We aren't talking about someone who lost their wallet. We are talking about people who entered a country illegally. People who are brought in as children are a little more complicated but that is complication caused by their parents and allowed to fester by politicians who it suits. Weak enforcement/non enforcement or just pretending there isn't an issue encourages people to build their lives in an incredibly precarious situation. It is a terrible idea to just toggle how illegal immigration is handled every time the presidency changes party.

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

No. Being in the United States without a valid visa is a civil offense - not a criminal one. The word "illegal" suggests criminal activity.

18. Adam Warlock macrumors regular

Adam Warlock

19. unlinked macrumors 6502a

That has pretty much nothing to do with what you quoted. Undocumented immigrants are what you have when an immigration documentation warehouse burns down not when someone enters a country they have no right to or overstays a visa. If you don't like the word illegal come up with a better one.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have a second question: why do so many here oppose legal immigration?

FWIW my ex came to the US on a scientist training visa, I met her, we married, and had a kid. Then her visa ran out, and that's why I am now in the UK. The fact we were married, had a kid who was a US citizen, and that my ex was an promising scientist made no difference - she had to leave the US, and thus so did I. (I'm no slouch either - the US government invested more than $500,000 to train me through various competitive scholarships and fellowships, an investment lost to the UK) So if anybody thinks getting visa's and permanent residencies in the US is easy, I suggest you educate yourself. Moreover, meddling with perfectly legal immigration, like Trump attempted, disrupts families that are vulnerable enough as it is.

I do not support illegal immigration. I do support families, and I'd rather see united families than deporting members who illegally crossed the border to be with their partners, children, parents, or siblings. Desperation makes people undertake desperate acts. I don't think criminalising or demonizing immigrants acts as a deterrent (self-evidently), nor will the wall work (can you say 'boat people'?). What we need to do is subvert the illegal trade in human trafficking by offering legal pathways to immigration that give more hope than resorting to illegal means. Until we do that, market forces will simply drive more illegal immigration. Indeed, I believe we should offer current illegal immigrants a pathway to legal immigration that involves a criminal background check (you're out if you've committed violent crime), paying any taxes owed over a reasonable period, and agreeing to being monitored (periodic confirmation of location of residence & employment plus a criminal background check).

Finally, what has hurt American workers is the behaviour of the top 1% who own and manage companies, not illegal immigrants. If we want illegal immigrants to stop taking jobs, to the extent they actually do, then we should prosecute and jail the people who hire illegal immigrants and get rich exploiting them. The same applies to slime-ball landlords renting out overcrowded apartments and houses to illegal immigrants.

21. steve23094 macrumors 68030

steve23094

Do immigrants from poor countries depress wages in semi and unskilled services?

22. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Why? We can produce babies here and all that stuff. Sure, adding some quality people is a good thing but ONLY if they come here to abide by our rules and way of life, not to try and shove their "culture" down our throats.

As for illegal immigration? It sucks and needs to be stopped. Punish companies that hire them and deport those that come here illegally. Easy - but it takes set of BALLS to do it and politicans have none of those.

23. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Unless you are one of those people who thinks America needs more people in order to compete with China because it has a billion people I don't really get that idea. If countries aren't producing enough people to replace their population and provide skilled labour then immigration is only a temporary crutch.

24. steve23094 macrumors 68030

steve23094

How does an illegal immigrant contribute so much in taxes and use so much welfare (especially from a major welfare program)? I would have thought somebody working in the black economy wouldn't do much of either. Does the US not cross reference their government databases?

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

No. The situation I described - where a person was brought to this country as an infant or a young child, and has grown up in this country, attending schools, etc. - is exactly a case of an undocumented individual. They didn't commit a crime when they entered the US, because they were minor children. Likewise, someone who entered the country legally - on a tourist or other visa - and overstayed, is also not guilty of a criminal offense, but rather a civil one.

It is technically, legally, and factually more accurate to describe such a person as an undocumented immigrant. Calling them an "illegal alien" is not only inaccurate, it is pejorative.