Why aren’t iSkin, Griffin, Speck etc advertising in MacWorld anymore?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ChinaAzzi, Feb 19, 2011.

1. ChinaAzzi macrumors regular

The last time I was in Hong Kong I picked up an American MacWorld magazine. To my surprise the 1 and 2 pages ads that iSkin and Grifin used to place were not there anymore. Infact they had no ads of any size in the magazine. I know the cost of advertising is expensive but I remember reading a book written by the person who made Coca Cola famous and he said even in tough time advertise. I am sure those ads brought a lot of attention to their products and customers to the retailers who handle their products. I am not sure how long this has been going on, maybe one of you can fill me in.:)

2. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

advertising is good, but effective advertising is always better. if the magazine's circulation is small, there's no use spending advertising dollars on it if you're not achieving full potential. but it doesnt mean those companies have stopped advertising... they're just spending their ad dollars on ads that are more effective.

3. ChinaAzzi thread starter macrumors regular

Does that mean that MacWorld is not being read anymore by Apple die hards? :confused:

I always thought it was the bible for Apple users.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

It probably means they moved their budget to advertise elsewhere. It happens a lot.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Techy people still read magazines?

6. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

It's just advertising, that's how it works.

7. TEHi macrumors regular

there are two real and working advertising methods right now (for iphone accesories):

1. make a cool youtube video, (like the griffin survivor case) and spread it in the forums.
    2. give them away to reviewers! 90% of the iphone related reviews and tutorials on youtube are made by kids. oh god i hate their voices. kids are kids after all, they get excited with free stuff, and will post a good review.

both method combined are far more effective, and less expensive than a printed ad. times have changed

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Magazines are a dying medium. Circulations are way, way down. They'd be smart to embrace digital distribution quickly. The fact is, Apple's 30% cut is less then they pay now for their current distribution model.

I haven't subscribed or bought one in years. At one time, I probably subscribed to 8-10 titles. Frankly, the only place I see magazines being read are at B&N, and they're not buying them.

9. ChinaAzzi thread starter macrumors regular

Have any of you seen their ads in a magazine lately? Or are they now putting their staff to work on the forums, blogs, Youtube .....?

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

there are lots of free or low cost mediums there web sites, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook email subscribers etc etc.. All free!

11. ChinaAzzi thread starter macrumors regular

It is not totally free because they have employ special staff to do all of this. I am sure that the 250 employees that Otter Box has in the home office at least few of them are working the Apple related forums, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook etc. This has to be the same with the other major brands and that costs money. :)