Why aren’t there many games for the ATV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rayriceroni00, Feb 15, 2019.

1. rayriceroni00 Suspended

rayriceroni00

I had high hopes years ago when the new Apple TV came out and it took Bluetooth controllers.

Yet today, we have only a few decent games. Do developers just not care? No viable market here and instead focus on iPhone and iPad?

2. JBaby macrumors regular

JBaby

 dropped the ball on the gaming side of tvOS. They hamstrung it and now gaming is dead on the platform.

3. ruka.snow macrumors regular

ruka.snow

There is no default gamepad you can rely on everyone having and you have to make your game be able to work with the remote(this part may be out dated)

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

My son played a lot of games when he was younger. We were thinking this would be good platform for my grandson who loves playing games. Once we started buying games they were cheaper like other apps on the platform and the developers put so much in app purchase that it was so difficult to navigate the he pretty much gave up. He ended up with the Nintendo Switch which my grandson loves to play. And sometimes he plays XBOX Games. I also bought games for Apple TV for my house and got 2 controls and again it was just not enjoyable for him.

They totally screwed this part of Apple TV. I would love for them to offer a Gaming Apple TV and have an option to eliminate in app purchases.

5. JBaby macrumors regular

JBaby

That will never happen. IAP is too lucrative.

6. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

And that is why I believe it will continue to fail. XBOX and others charge a much higher price to begin with and allow players to simply enjoy playing the games without scam type tactics.

7. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

because the best console Apple made was the Pippin :p

8. JBaby macrumors regular

JBaby

I agree with you. I’m an old school gamer. Unfortunately the market has proven that just like the rest of the mobile app economy, people don’t want to pay full price for games. This is another problem  created.

9. JeffPerrin, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019

JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

1. No bundled official Apple controller
    2. No A-list titles to attract gamers (C.O.D., Destiny, Red Dead, Fortnight, etc.)
    3. Existing games are mostly ports from iOS, which are usually typically lower-budget builds designed for small-screen, on-the-go experience.
    4. Lack of sufficient CPU/GPU power to support A-list games.

I suspect the customer expectation of cheap App Store pricing also likely scares away A-list game houses who rightly want to recoup on six to seven figure investments in development and marketing costs.

It's no secret the gaming industry is bigger than the motion picture industry. IMO, Apple needs to take some of the big money they are investing in original TV and movie content and divert it towards game dev and PR. And now that they are going to allow Airplay on smart TVs, Apple could easily re-boot the Apple TV as a dedicated gaming "console."

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I don't see the Apple TV as a practical gaming device.

11. vertical smile, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019

vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

This has been a big disappointment for me as well. I was pretty active on the forum the year prior to the ATV4, and was really excited about the rumors and possibilities. Before joining MR, I frequented the MacLife forums, which have disappeared, but was an ATV fan back then too.

Before the launch of the ATV4, there were a lot of rumors claiming that Apple was making a "console killer", and that gaming was a big interest for Apple. As we all know now, this never materialized.

The reason for the lack of good gaming on the Apple TV can be blamed solely on Apple, and a lot of their decisions related to tvOS at launch. This killed any momentum that the ATV had to be a gaming device.

1. The requirement for apps to use the Siri remote.
    - This was probably the biggest road block to over come.
    - It basically made it too hard for Devos to bring quality games to the tvOS.
    - Take any popular console game, and then try to envision a version that had to be used with the Siri Remote.
    - There should have been a standardize Apple gaming controller similar to existing gaming controllers.

2. The use of the A8 chip.
    - The A8 was already few generations old at the ATV4 launch.
    - The A8 is underpowered for console quality games from at least the last 2 generations of consoles.

3. The app size limitation was set really low at the time of the tvOS launch.
    - I believe it was 200MB, more could be downloadable content, but it puts a hurdle in an already uphill race.
    - This makes it harder to port existing games that do not already have a 200MB.

4. The ATV gaming presentation at the ATV4 event.
    - CrossyRoads was not the best choice in my opinion.
    - There should have been a well know graphic intensive port to show the capabilities of the ATV4.
    - This is a sad moment for Apple imo.

This was changed a while back, but the damage was already done.