Why aren't i able to open my video files in my dvd on my mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by theinternetbull, Jun 22, 2009.

1. theinternetbull macrumors newbie

Im trying to pull a video off of a dvd but every time i try a pop up comes up that says

The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "file same" could not be read or written (error code-36)

what dose this mean and how can i fix this??

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

From this article:

Type -36 error (I/O Errors (bummers))

This file is having difficulty while either reading from the drive or writing to the drive. The file may have been improperly written data to the drive or the hard drive or disk may be damaged. This is almost always indicative of a media error (hard error on the disk). Sometimes (rarely) it is transient.

Solutions: Try copying the file to another drive. Use a disk recovery software, such as Disk First Aid to examine the disk. You can try rebooting with all extensions off. Once in a while this will allow you to read the data. The file in question should be restored from a backup that was stored on a different disk. Regular backups can reduce the time to recover from this error.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

The previous suggestion--damaged optical disc--is likely the case if it's a DVD you burned with some video files on it. If, however, you're trying to copy the source files off a commercial, copy protected DVD by dragging them in the Finder, this won't work due to said copy protection.

You need to get a program intended for this purpose, like MacTheRipper or HandBrake+VLC to do that.

4. theinternetbull thread starter macrumors newbie

in that case if i go and use a dvd ripper like Suite for Mac on the dvd every thing should be good??

5. theinternetbull thread starter macrumors newbie

do you know any disk recovery software that is free??

6. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Handbrake is awsome!!!! It rips movies or shows etc. right of the disc (bypassing the protection) and converts (while ripping) right to .m4v format for use on ipods or just playing on your mac. I don't like Mactheripper because you then need to covert from .vob (raw video file not playable without VLC media player) to .mp4 or something.

The use of the software of this type is entirely your decision as some believe the ripping of copy protected movies etc is illegal (especially if you do not own the dvd!!!!)