Why aren't Lightning video cables available now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by citivolus, Sep 22, 2012.

1. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Seems to me that they are far less complicated than the iPhone itself. Why would Apple wait to introduce them several months after the launch of the iPhone 5? More accessories like these cables sell more iPhones. I just don't get it.

2. hkfan24 macrumors regular

Give it time young grasshopper. Or you can do what I did and get an Apple TV and AirPlay those videos straight to the TV. I finally picked one up yesterday after I got me and my wife's iPhone. I had a roku box because of Hulu but now Hulu is on Apple TV. You should definitely consider one.

3. Outsiderdude26 macrumors regular

Went to an Apple Store (Sherman Oak in Southern California) and there were cables there. Even bought an extra one for myself.

4. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks but I'm referring to lightning to HDMI or lightning to DVI cables, which Apple announced would not be available for a few months.

----------

Yes I am aware of this. The whole point of cables is that the are simple to take with you. I'm sure I'm not the only person who plays videos from my iPhone in my car or at friends' houses, etc.

5. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Lightning-to-30-pin adapter* + 30-pin HDMI adapter? That'd be more of an immediate solution since the lightning-to-30-pin adapter ships in a couple weeks (I believe). Definitely an expensive solution, but a solution nonetheless.

*Assuming it does digital video out

6. itsLouieV macrumors regular

itsLouieV

I think some people need to take some time to condsider how much of a big deal it is for a company like apple to change a connector that is common to hundreds of millions (if not billions) of units.

Its not like every factory in china is working on these cables, they have a certain amount of cables that can be made within a given time, and considering that they needed to have MILLIONS of these cables just to ship with (inside) retail iphone purchase, they need to allocate all available resources that can provide these cables to make just these cables, once their cache of these cables are sufficient they can start dedication resources just for the production of other accessory cables, but you seriously have the consider the sheer number of these cables that are being made.

At the same time, i do feel that apple could of started making these cables a lot earlier, however that would of directly contributed to a much earlier leak.

its a double edge sword, but should't ever be this bad until the next time they change the connector, and then it has potential to be much worse if they continue to raise demand.

Calm down, trust me i had that initial anger moment when i found out that after waiting in line in the cold for 8+ hrs, that they didn't have ANY accessories, i was a bit pissed, but had to take a small moment to realize the actual scale of any change that apple makes from their products.

7. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks but I'm not angry, just bewildered since to me it is very bad business sense to not have important accessories like these cables available for sale precisely when you are introducing change to customers. How better to calm the angry masses? Instead, it's "we're taking something away and not giving you something to replace it", and the gap is not just a nice-to-have like a "3G Enable switch" gone with the move to LTE, but real functionality.

Btw I don't understand your comment about a double-edged sword--what's the upside in not having the cables available now?

Apple had these specs finalized ages ago, and the technology is not rocket science like the iPhone, so they could have dedicated resource to crank out a billion cables long before the launch. I'm not saying they should have been included with the iPhone, just available for sale at launch. The only possibility is that either they were worried about leaks, or it ties into another part of their strategy like the iPod touch launch or something else coming later like AirPlay 2 or something that wasn't quite ready.

8. itsLouieV macrumors regular

itsLouieV

the double edge sword would be begining manufacturing too early which would cause leaks and give counter-feiters more time to try and replicate your product, and starting to late which would result in not enough cables for demand.

i do feel a bit inconvenienced by being told i would have to return later, after they get a shipment of accessories, specially after waiting 8+ hrs in line in the cold, but its a huge change, and at the very least i did get one with the iphone so its all good.

9. dchao macrumors 6502a

Lol. Apple's greatest marketing plan is working. :D

Next will be the missing native YouTube app. Solution - Get an ATV and everything will be back to normal.

10. phillypharm macrumors regular

wonder if this works, def a good idea

11. reputationZed macrumors 65816

My guess is that Apple doesn't consider these to be important accessories, or more to the point see them as important to only a relatively small part of the customer base. When your focused on moving 10 million phones moving a couple of thousand cablesvis going to take a back seat.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It's huge deal which is why it's absurd that stores weren't drowning in every single adapter and cable there was a use for. Otherwise what could have been a smooth transition for users instead of a frustrating experience because they can't use their new iPhone for the same things they used their previous one for.