Why aren't people happy about MacWorld? Get the anti-glare MBP... and great software!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scottsdale, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Seriously, with ALL of the complaining from everyone about the glossy displays in the new MBPs... it seems like a bunch of people should be happy. And really, the battery is a great thing... I guess people just want to COMPLAIN. I don't think Mac users will ever be happy. I love my MB, but everyone here wants to complain complain complain.

Start a few threads for the cool things you see at MacWorld. Honestly, nearly ALL of us use iLife, and a lot of us use iWork, so why aren't people happy? Those are serious updates to those products. I am impressed.

Sure, I wanted a MacMini or Media Server of some type... but I think all that was introduced was really nice. And, we will probably see a bunch of updates in the next two months. Everyone has been saying Apple is waiting on Intel for CPUs for the new iMac - Quad Core. Apple is waiting for mac pro. The Mac Mini is probably the only thing people should complain about because there is no reason Apple could not have updated this a long time ago. It has been like over a year! Other than that, I think people need to calm down and enjoy.

If Apple doesn't please you with new Macs by March, then maybe it would be time to complain, but not when they are trying to finish Snow Leopard and want all of these great products from Intel, that are being released soon. Let's give them until the end of March, then complain.

But in the meantime, be HAPPY! These are some nice software updates, and I wish they would come out with an extended life battery for the MB. I want that battery. I would gladly pay $179 instead of $139 (current price) for a battery that lasts twice as long.

Cheers, and Happy New Year!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not by choice.

Wow... Apple needs to hire a team for hardware and a team for software then, since the six people who work for the company seem to have their hands tied.

The difference here lies in the ability to have two of those $139 batteries at the same time, and the ability to switch them out, as opposed to only being able to buy that $179 battery in three years or so when Apple deems it necessary for a replacement.

3. stevo8 macrumors 6502

the expectations are why people are so pissed. If everyone thought there wasn't going to be a mini or iMac release I'm sure everyone would be just fine about it all. Personally I'm waiting for them to make it up to us with something huge and unexpected. Hopefully that's the case.

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Some likes it some don't. They have the right to complain of course but eventually the complaining will die off later on. People do that when something didn't meet their expectations and I'm sure it happens to everyone one of us before...It's normal.....That's all I have to say. It's only a matter of different perspective coming from different people..........:rolleyes:

5. urkel macrumors 68030

You know what's worse than complainers? People who complain about complainers because in the end then whining about a product serves more purpose than whining about people for not being exactly like them.

As much as some people would like to believe this is all one big family, there is one thing that separates Apple corporate from Apple consumer. We PAY for our products. So why the heck shouldn't there be expectations, and why shouldn't there be feedback when expectations aren't met? If you win a Macbook at a raffle and then start complaining about how the color sucks then you're a jerk. But if you are shopping for a computer and feel that a product doesn't fulfill all your needs then you have every right to complain.

And it should be pointed out that as much as these Apple defenders tried to shut people up about the glassy screens, the anti-glare option is born out of Apple responding to the "whiners". These people think they're doing Apple a favor by being unpaid salesmen but the reality is that they are the ones standing in the way of progress because a product only gets better when it is given honest feedback.

6. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I read one guy's comments about what we should have expected. And he said MacWorld is only for something totally new. Like even the MBP 17" wouldn't have been shown had it not had a new battery technology; since the MB and 15.4" MBPs already have unibody aluminum. In the past, all Apple releases at MacWorld is NEW stuff. So, I had personally hoped for a media server or new revolutionary MacMini.

I truly think the new iLife is amazing. Facial recognition software built in, and a lot of great new features. I cannot wait to get it installed. And I am going to the Apple Store tonight to pick up a copy of iWork. I am excited about it too. I think they have done a great job. And we ALL use the software. It's not like everyone is getting a new Mac, so this is something for everyone!

Apple is waiting for these Intel updates. So, it makes a lot of sense for Apple to have its own media event at HQ with the new Mac desktop lineup probably with Snow Leopard on all of them! And we know we are looking at late first Quarter for that. It all makes a lot of sense. It will probably be in February or early March, and will probably be "All about the desktops." Or maybe "Taking advantage of quad core on the desktops!" Perhaps will be quad core in both iMac and MacMini? And already eight in the Mac Pro but now with the new processors all been waiting for.

I just found it odd, that here on MacRumors almost everything introduced has more or similar amount of negatives as the positives in the ratings. Seriously, people should be jumping up and down about their beloved anti-glare MBPs. I said back in November that I though would be a matte display in the 17" as that is the true "Pros" computer. And Pros would use their MBPs primarily at the desk, and when not get a stated eight hours of battery (probably six anyways). I think that is great!

I just don't get all of the complaining! I really don't!

7. ThunderRobot macrumors regular

ThunderRobot

1. The current versions of iWork and iLife are called 08. It stands to reason that new versions would be released for 09. And to make people buy them they had to increase the feature set. In other words - this was completely expected.
    2. During the launch of the 15" MBP it was pretty much announced the 17" version would follow early in 2009. Again, expected.
    3. The battery. 2 things. 1) It's taking away a convenience which people are used to. 2) Technically what they're doing could be considered illegal in Europe where consumer electronics have to have user-serviceable batteries.
    4. It's not what (most) people were waiting to hear. New Mac Mini, new Mac Pro, speed bumped iMac - that's what people were waiting on and I suspect Apple know it.

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I suspect this issue is the primary reason that Apple is getting out of Macworld. It is to stop the expectations that come from event driven releases. Without having to do releases around events then Apple is free to put out technology whenever they are ready, not when the public expects it. The ..."one more thing" days are over. In a way, Apple spoiled the public by creating the expectation that such and such product was coming out at Macworld... because that was when they released a lot of those products. And of course, the rumor sites fueled those expectations!

There is no way that Apple can continue year after year with innovations (like the iTunes or iPhone) and inevitably they disappoint instead of excite. Now, without Macworld, there will be more random announcements of products and that should bring back some of the mystery and excitement - instead of expectation and disappointment.

There is a lot of negativity coming from the users and I sometimes wonder if Apple (or Steve Jobs) is reading these boards thinking... wow, no matter what we do now, it's not good enough anymore.

9. colickyboy macrumors member

Not meeting expectations = complaining. What's there not to get?

Sure, lots of people complained about iMovie and the '09 version apparently will settle those folks down, and the face detection stuff in iPhoto '09 is pretty cool. But that's not what many eager people were expecting. They (including me) were expecting updated iMacs and Mac Minis. There were countless rumors about those two products so it seemed a highly likely possibility, just as the brick MacBook was highly rumored late last year. Difference is that the iMacs and Mac Minis were not announced while the brick (unibody) MacBook was. Hence the complaining.

Seriously, if the "one last thing" in MW09 is iTunes having DRM-free music, that's pretty lame. DRM-free is nice, but not as the "grand finale" for Apple's last MacWorld appearance.

10. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Seriously, please post a link to anywhere on the Apple website that says they are updating the Mac mini or iMac for Macworld. If they don't promise then people have no right to complain that they didn't do something. If a product released by company X doesn't meet your needs, then you're always free to buy from company Y. If more people were willing to buy from company Y instead of waiting for Apple, then that would send a message to Apple that they are not meeting customer demand and need to change strategies.

Now that I've posted this, it made me think of an idea. Microsoft should seize on this opportunity to make fun of Apples lack of giving customers what they want. They could do a PC vs Mac ad and when the Mac guy starts talking about how wonderful Apple is etc., the PC guy would say... "Yeah, but we have Blue-ray, and user changeable batteries/ram, better graphic cards, and cost less for those options. And people don't have to wait for an important event announcement to buy our products."

11. Turmoil macrumors regular

So people are upset cause they believed rumors that turned out not to be true? And who exactly should they be upset with?

I'm happy - It was just an ok MacWorld address, but the battery is cool and the new i-life is cool.

Apple doesn't owe you anything, least of all living up to expectations you gained while reading rumor sites.

12. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

But Microsoft is NOT even that creative. They SUCK! Really, people should stop complaining. Not like they don't have any Mac choices and have to buy Microsoft Vista on their new computers. I guess we all just have it too good. I really think it will be a short while before we see the updates.

But, then people will find something else to cry and whine about!

I am happy to be using my Mac. I boot into Windows Vista one day per month and fortunately it's on a Mac. I just think I have it good. Happy indeed. I put up with Windows for so long I got used to owning junk. Now, I have had three MBs, a MBA, and a MBP... I feel good! I would NEVER go back to Dell running Vista only.

13. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

One other thing though. I am not going to complain, but if Apple would have released a Media Server, new version of Apple TV, or a new MacMini, I would have already ordered it and spent money. That is the problem with not releasing new products. No new innovation equals no purchasing. So, I am delaying my purchases by a few months. But I will be buying as soon as something is released.

14. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Then Apple has not lost any money and therefore does not care that it did not release the products this week.

15. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Time Value of Money principle, money now is worth more than money later. And on the scale that Apple sells products, it's a big difference. And, I am sure a lot of Apple Investors would have liked to have seen something NEW.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Its not that I'm unhappy, its just that I'm not real excited by what was released.

17. Shawn D macrumors regular

Yeah exactly how I felt

18. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

How much of that unhappiness was due to expectation? My point is, if Apple was like most other companies, the best you could hope for is an update to an existing product being released. For Apple, the bar is much higher and it's impossible for everyone to be satisfied.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If they couldn't bitch and moan about MacWorld, they'd likely buy a gun and go on a killing spree before putting a bullet in their head.

So it is likely their last chance as releasing some of the holiday tension only family can cause. ;)

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm not unhappy at all. For the most part, I think there were solid releases. I have a few minor quibbles but nothing major. But there wasn't anything announced that had me immediately wishing to get it.

21. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

a) No Mac mini refresh (main reason, IMO)
    b) No Steve Jobs
    c) No iMac update
    d) No Snow Leopard
    e) No Mac Tablet device
    f) No news about PUSH for iPhone/iPod touch
    g) New MacBook Pro a non-removable battery.
    h) Certain iTunes songs now $1.29
    i) $.30 a song to upgrade your paid for songs to DRM free and better quality (really adds up).
    j) Expected more for being Apple's final MacWorld.
    k) No 64GB iPod touch
    l) No 32GB iPhone
    m) No new firmware for iPhone
    n) No new firmware for iPod touch
    o) No iPhone nano (even though I despise the idea).
    p) No upgraded Mac Pro
    q) WhiteBook not dropped (this wasn't wanted but it was expected)
    r) Only three things mentioned while only one being hardware
    s) No release date of Snow Leopard
    t) Not even an announcement of a new Mac mini
    u) Not even an announcement of an updated iMac
    v) No Apple TV update
    w) All these rumors and hardly anything we were hoping for.
    x) No iPhone tethering
    y) No 28'' iMac
    z) No Apple Media Server?

Woops. Did I just run out of letters? My bad....
    DRM free music is cool but I think $1.29 per song is really expensive.
    And the new iLife is amazing, but I don't have a Mac so it doesn't effect me; I would shortly get a Mac but since the Mac mini wasn't upgraded...

22. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Actually the extended battery and anti glare screen are just for the Macbook Pro, and not the Macbook like you have.

23. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I was really hoping to see Apple release info about snow leopard... i.e. release date? 32-bit compatibility?

still gotta wait for information...

24. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

The rumors are getting everyones hopes set high and then they get let down easily. It's like thinking you're getting a new car for Christmas but when you don't get one and yet you got all kinds of other stuff you just think Christmas sucked.

The Mini should have been discussed.
    The white macbook will linger for a little longer... I think it's too soon to kill it and drop the cost of the unibody.
    The iMac should have gotten the Nvidia chips.
    There won't be an iphone nano (nor should there ever be) and we are a year away from a tablet mac at best. I love that apple can make us drool over their products but I want to see more reasonable prices... another $3k item doesn't do that.
    Why do we need a 28" iMac? Just because?
    Snow Leopard should have been discussed. No doubt. It should have been mentioned the whole keynote.
    The iPhone will not tether thanks to AT&T not Apple.

25. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Aren't all systems that ship with Leopard 64-bit? I never bothered to think about that.