Why aren't we hearing from US muslims in the media?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by whoknows87, Sep 14, 2012.

1. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

is it because the media isn't biased at all? and everything is black and white and it has to be US vs Them? they all support this senseless violence ?

Oh The Media!

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. noisycats, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I personally think the situation is so complicated to the point of making no sense at all.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think you just have to exceed the attention span of a fruit fly. Sadly, for many this is not possible.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The media tried.

Remember the series All-American Muslim? the same series that the Florida Family Association got their panties in a bunch over that they wrote every company that advertised on the show (especially Lowe's) and got them to drop their support of the show?

Lovely how it's the media's fault. :rolleyes:

BL.

7. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I disagree. I think most liberals have an attention span much, much greater than a fruit fly. Perhaps we disagree on that.

Either way, good to hear you chime in on the Libyan Embassey murders.

8. citizenzen, Sep 14, 2012

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Why aren't we hearing from muslims in the media?

Because most of us don't pay attention to Muslim Media.

Check this site out: aljazeera.com and then tell me that you aren't hearing from Muslims in the media.

Edit: Oops. U.S. Muslims.

In that case, I'd suggest it's because producers aren't inviting them on their news programs.

I doubt it's because Muslims are in hiding.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I'll put money on it that the liberal media is inviting US Muslim leaders to speak.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Your statement requires further clarification ...

Do you watch liberal media?

Are you not seeing Muslim represented?

If the answer to the first two questions is 'yes,' then do you think Muslims are avoiding appearing on these shows?

Why do you suppose they would be hiding?

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

While not a full explanation of underrepresentation, I would start looking at demographic information. Someone recently asked why this forum was so liberal. The answer partly laid in demographics.

http://features.pewforum.org/muslim-population-graphic/#/United States

Most estimates indicate that about .4 to .9 percent of the population is Muslim. So one issue is that there may not be enough Muslims to provide media specifically for/about them. Notice that Hispanic entertainment has only risen recently after the US has had an increase in Hispanic immigrants.

It is often cited that there are more Buddhists in the US than Muslims and only slightly fewer Hindus as Muslims
    http://religions.pewforum.org/reports#
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States#cite_note-pewforum-69
    Yet no one ever says Buddhists or Hindus are underrepresented??? :confused:

As far as the "us versus them" mentality, I agree that some people still show this. It is easy for this to happen when the majority of an enemy's demographics comprise one single trait; in this case Islam. It is more complicated today as the "enemy" is not clearly defined relative to recent previous history. The use of guerrilla warfare has fueled this further as it increasingly erases the line between an "enemy combatant" and a "friendly". And so then anger gets misdirected towards anyone who is Muslim, which starts a very vicious cycle. It is important to remind ourselves that nothing in the teachings of classic Islam incites violence and that there are over 1.4 billion Muslims in the world. Like with any other religion, you have some very great people and some very terrible people.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Your snark does actually work from time to time. This is not one of those times.

13. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

very well put, reasonable

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While I don't disagree that the population of Muslims may be small compared to the whole population, it should not be difficult to identify key members of the faith who would make themselves available to major media if and when the need arose.

Whether heads of the church, leading scholars or public figures, these people are out there. Why they aren't given exposure probably has more to do with the media industry than their desire to get their perspective aired.

15. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

I remember that representative from Minnesota I believe Keith Ellison he made a few appearances when Michelle Bachman made those crazy weird allegations about the muslim brotherhood infiltrating the U.S government lol, and linking of state Dept officials to the muslim brotherhood group just a bunch of weird senseless allegations from Bachman, she knows no better, I'm surprised to not see Ellison on MSNBC or any of those channels , they probably didn't extend the invitation to any of them or simply too busy Airing images of protestors , smoke and fire

16. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I'll let my snark it just got served. Thanks for the heads up.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Personally, I'd be interested in hearing from your serious side.

If it's around, tell it that I called.

18. kavika411, Sep 14, 2012

kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Personally, I'd be interested in hearing whether you can go one.full.day without asking a rhetorical, "witty" question. (Since you bring up the whole "personally" "side.")

If your whole.day.long.non.rhetorical side is around, tell it I answered.

Yes, yes. I realize the making a specific, explicit, non-ivory tower point is often less sexy, but sometimes it is actually more persuasive than an emotionally-laden rhetorical question.

19. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

If you are expecting the US Muslim leadership to speak out against the violence against the US embassies worldwide, be prepared to be disappointed.

I live in a Muslim country and there is no outrage here from the religious leadership. Yesterday was a day of protest at all mosques and US citizens were warned to lay low. This country is extremely US friendly and financially defendant on the companies who have factories here. No outrage. No public statements against the violence. Status quo.

20. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Ask Mel Gibson and the friends of the murdered Rachel Corrie.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Good point.

Let me know when you make one of those.

I'd be interested in reading it.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

With most other groups whether it's representing race, sex, occupation, region or religion ........... There is at least a public statement from leaders. This doesn't seem to be the case when situations like this arise. Usually it's maybe a random person or organization that does not play a part in leadership making a small token statement. It's obvious that the Muslim community in general is very fickle and not as polarized as other groups, so I can understand why we don't hear much from the well know leaders and organizations. I wouldn't call it hiding, more like staying netrual til things die down. And when things do die down, that's when you hear statements being made. But by then it falls on deaf ears cause the media and people are already on to the next headline.

23. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

I lived in the same country your'e referring too lol, KSA or close to it? you will not hear anyone condemning anything in KSA that's for sure, some clerics still have an influence a strong one at that in government, those clerics are still stuck in the 19th century, the ordinary citizen of those countries doesn't give a damn, they cant even vote nor do they care to do so, they are backwards but again not all of them that's for sure

----------

I do think the U.S media is not being fair at all , painting all libyans as crazy savages ( the ones who carried out the attack are for sure) but people of Benghazi the same city we helped a while ago , came out and showed that they stand against this BS, here are a few pictures that surfaced online and ignored by the media, I would like to see the full picture not just part of it

here is the link http://imgur.com/a/tlCyI

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There is no such thing as "US Muslim leadership". Islam does not have an organized power structure, there is no person at the top like the Pope, or anyone of authority like an archbishop. So no, on one from US Muslim leadership is going to speak out, because there is no such thing.