Why Bayh Is Quitting the Senate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Feb 16, 2010.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

From John Fund at wsj.com
    Full article here.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I was under the impression that the disquiet with the dems came from a combination of the stimulus + the economy combined with not reaching their "agenda". For instance not closing guantanamo, not withdrawing the troops quickly enough, and not being successful on healthcare reform.

What exactly does he go on to claim was "overreached" macnut? Not all of us have a subscription to the wsj.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The Democrats are going to have their work cut out for them this year if they want to regain their seats. Not that it will be easy for the Republicans either. This will be a wide open race, no seat is safe.

The link is wide open. I don't subscribe either.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Not for me. I get the blurb you posted + another paragraph and then a "subscribe to read the full article".

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Try it now, I got the story off of the google news reader.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I don't want to crap your thread up but no luck. Must be a regional thing I'll have to go to bed with this wordly mystery hanging over me!

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I just posted the full article.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Over reached my ass, the liberals didn't get a ****ing thing they were aiming for. :rolleyes:

9. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

John Fund's WSJ editorial on Sen. Bayh's shocking announcement may indeed be tied to Democratic Party "overreach" but most see Bayh quitting the Senate as one more message that Obama has yet to understand. The summer of Town Meeting citizen discontent, continuing deficit spending, lingering unemployment, a shocking reversal of a former Democrat stronghold in Massachusetts, and Obama's plunging polls all point to the failing hard left progressive agenda in Washington that voters do not seem to want. It is not hard to understand why a Blue Dog Democrat Moderate like Bayh wants out - he knows what is coming in November of 2010.

10. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

That is the point, they aimed to high.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea, things like fixing the healthcare system with competition (public option) was too hard for stupid americans to figure out. What other things are "too high"? Energy independence?

12. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

People want reform but they want it done right. I don't think that is the main issue though. People want less spending.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What liberals are pushing for more spending? Hell there aren't even many liberals in our system! To me this sounds like nothing but a cop out

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

You should know this, what ever party is in office when everything goes to hell will pay the price, this is the Democrats turn to take a beating. The Republicans took it a few years ago.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It would be nice if we would be honest with ourselves at least that there are few actual liberals in our government, far too little to get their agenda through, much less to take the blame for this kind of ****.

16. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

It is the majority that takes the hit, not a small few.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yes, but its constantly the minority that becomes the scapegoat. There will never actually be a liberal presence in this country if everyone is out to make them look bad. I'm sick of this country being to the right but lying to itself about it.

18. aethelbert macrumors 601

It'll be interesting to see if he ends up on the gubernatorial ballot next time around seeing at Mitch Daniels can't run again.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Fund and Bayh are the ones who don't get it. The voters are looking to elect liberal populists, people who will represent them instead of Wall Street, and all the Democrats keep offering them are wimpy conservatives. And Obama seems constitutionally incapable of kicking ass in order to fulfill the campaign promises he made. That's why his numbers are down.

On the other side of the aisle it's even worse: Republicans who don't even pretend to give a **** about the people anymore, and at the far extreme, tea party loons who can't put together a coherent protest sign, let alone a coherent convention.

If the voters elect Republicans this fall, it'll only be to protest the fact that the Democrats have given them no liberals to vote for. It sure as hell won't be some kind of endorsement of conservatism.

20. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I really don't think the country is as liberal as you think it is. People want politicians in the center not the far left or right.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

basically he warning is that that the dems in Congress are not listening to what the people want and he is right and they will revolt over this.
    You have to look no farther than the Massachusetts election for the senate.

over 1/2 the people who voted for the Rep voted for him because they felt that the dems in congress were not listening to them.

Rather sad that 50% of the votes were for that reason. Dems are going to suffer a lot of painful losses come election day.

22. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

What a shortsighted country to even think of voting Republican again. Not saying the Dems are great but seriously, just vote third party.

23. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The third party here is even worse.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You can generally get around their pay wall if you access through Google news.

As for Bayh, **** him. Centrist Democrat my ass. He's just another corporatist. His wife serves on the board of Wellpoint.

Every time I hear about another incumbent, from either party, not running, I get a stiffy.

25. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Agreed, Americans have a poor choice in political parties. Both the Democrats and Republicans suck. It just confuses me how Americans can trust the Republicans when not just too long ago, they screwed up this country. Now the Democrats are screwing up the country, but it doesn't mean we can trust the republicans again. But, the problem is that we don't have any viable third parties to vote in.