Why bezel on the sides? Mockup.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skadd, Sep 13, 2012.

1. skadd macrumors regular

Anyone else think the bezels, especially on the sides are too big?

Left is the original.
    In the middle: Slightly bigger screen and smaller upper-lower bezels
    Right: Just bigger screen.

Attached Files:

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Put a phone or tablet in your hand and see how you naturally grip it. Bezels are required for handling the phone without spurious inputs on the screen.

Additionally, a bezel gives you frame of reference of the actionable area and helps your mind perceive boundaries and visual contrast.

They aren't lazy/stupid. It is design.

3. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I think the original looks better, but that may just be because I'm used to it already.

4. webworks415 macrumors 6502

I noticed that. But I'm looking at my white 4S and the bezel is about the same if you take into account the plastic lining that is in between the front glass and the outer antenna on the 4S. So it's not any bigger. I wish it looked like the middle though.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I had a Droid X with smaller bezels and I kept registering inputs on it. The bezel is fine.

6. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

Not really a problem for me. IMO, I actually think that that specific design looks a bit awkward with no bezel. They'd have to change the design slightly if they wanted to shrink the bezel.

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Myself I'd much prefer no bezel, but you have to face facts, many people are just like gorilla's when holding items.

Like when you lightly hold a old photo by it's edges just held lightly and pass it to some gorilla to look at who holds it like a 3 year old holding a chalk board and puts thumb prints over the photo surface.

8. sexiewasd macrumors regular

I naturally grip it by the sides, so for me, and I assume for a lot of other people the top and bottom bezels are about 80% larger than is needed.

I must admit that I have no clue what idea you were trying to convey with your second point. The side bezels are more than large enough to provide a visual border between an app and a sidewalk.

9. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Yes! The middle iPhone is the best IMO, it has the best bezel. How many inches would that make the screen? How much more wider would it be from 640?

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

And don't forget there is still an engineering need for bezels. Bezel-less displays on consumer electronics are virtually non-existent. I suspect Apple made them as small as reasonably possible.

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

12. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

"But having a bezel around a smartphone's display is not only practical. It also makes the display more pleasant to look at. Let us put it this way: have you ever wondered why pictures tend to look better in a frame? The answer to that has a lot to do with the way we perceive images. You see, a frame acts as a border between the picture and the background, against which it is viewed, thus making it look complete and giving it individuality. As a result, the image stands out as it is separated from its surroundings, which makes it easier for our brain to assimilate the visual information. The bezel on your smartphone's display works in a similar way. Without a bezel, it would be harder for our brains to focus on whatever is displayed on the smartphone's screen, or at least that is the theory."

- http://www.phonearena.com/news/Smartphone-displays-need-a-bezel.-Heres-why_id27670

13. AT101ET macrumors 6502

I think it is necessary. If they are too small, you'd find your fingers accidentally pressing the screen...

14. skadd thread starter macrumors regular

How will future iPhones look like? I think it will look more like the right mockup, with minimal bezels. Just look at TV's for instance.

It should be possible to create artificial bezels from a software perspective. Disabling input on the edges at the first input if you know what I mean. Also I think many people hold it by the sides and not the edges, especially the phone due to it's small size compared to the tablet.