Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Forgive me if this has been answered. I googled but maybe I used the wrong search terms.

Why can’t we get real theme songs? I’ve looked for Seinfeld, The Jefferson’s, King of the Hill, Arrested Development, Full House, The Dick van Dyke Show, and several others. They’re all remakes or different arrangements of the original.

These were just shows I could think of. I didn’t try Friends because that’s a real song.

I’d be pretty upset if I paid for these and found out they were in the wrong key or tempo.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I wish they’d sort that out.

I’m willing to pay $1.30 for a 60 second clip. I want it to actually be the theme song of Cheers, not just some dude sitting in his room with a synthesizer.

And I’ve realized I have no idea what’s on TV anymore. Lol.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
As other posters have said, why not make your own ringtone? There are many ways to do it, and this way it is truly yours not something that hundreds of other people have.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
As other posters have said, why not make your own ringtone? There are many ways to do it, and this way it is truly yours not something that hundreds of other people have.

Because I don’t want to deal with that. I know I can find a file or record from a TV show, run it through Garage Band, and import it as a ring tone. I did that when I was younger.

Where would I even find the original theme to The Orville?

Now I’m 37. I want to buy the actual theme song and have it as a ring tone with no hassle. Just like I want to buy a Mac, turn it on, sign on, and use it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Because I don’t want to deal with that. I know I can find a file or record from a TV show, run it through Garage Band, and import it as a ring tone. I did that when I was younger.

Where would I even find the original theme to The Orville?

Now I’m 37. I want to buy the actual theme song and have it as a ring tone with no hassle. Just like I want to buy a Mac, turn it on, sign on, and use it.
If you don't want to make your own, you will do without the custom tv theme ringtones. The time you spend replying, is time you could have had a new ringtone.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
If you don't want to make your own, you will do without the custom tv theme ringtones. The time you spend replying, is time you could have had a new ringtone.

I guess I’ll stick with Marimba.

Either way, where would I get the original theme song? I did it a few years ago with some songs ripped from a CD. I think that’s my biggest hurdle.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I wish they’d sort that out.

I’m willing to pay $1.30 for a 60 second clip. I want it to actually be the theme song of Cheers, not just some dude sitting in his room with a synthesizer.

And I’ve realized I have no idea what’s on TV anymore. Lol.
You really don't understand how licensing works. Apple can't just will into existence intellectual property they don't own. It's a lot more complicated than just "sort that out". And I guarantee it won't come close to $1.30. The people who produced the song, the label that owns the rights, the artist, etc all would need to get paid by Apple. And the license to use the song would need to be 'in perpetuity' becasuse there's no limit to the amount of times your phone would ring with the song. All of that gets expensive. As everyone else has said, just spend an hour making your own and then it's done.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
You really don't understand how licensing works. It's a lot more complicated than just "sort that out". And I guarantee it won't come close to $1.30. The people who produced the song, the label that owns all would need to get paid. And considering the fact that the less would need to be in perpetuity since there's no limit to the amount of times your phone would ring with the song, that would be pretty expensive. As everyone else has said, just spend an hour making your own and then it's done.

I get there would be licensing involved.

But how can Apple get an actual song for $.99 but have to use a Marimba remix for a ringtone?

Either way, I won’t bother with it.

I was there was a better method than ripping it from YouTube and doing the conversions.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I get there would be licensing involved.

But how can Apple get an actual song for $.99 but have to use a Marimba remix for a ringtone?

Either way, I won’t bother with it.

I was there was a better method than ripping it from YouTube and doing the conversions.
Different license, they're not all encompassing. Apple's iTunes purchasing licensing is different than the Apple Music streaming license. The cost to enter most most likely outweighs and demand for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.