Why Can’t We Admit that the Emperor Has No Clothes?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RichardMZhlubb, Dec 21, 2018.

1. RichardMZhlubb, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018

RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Nothing has surprised me more over these last two years than the refusals of Trump supporters to acknowledge their mistake in voting for someone so fundamentally unfit as president. The president is a disaster on multiple fronts. He’s fundamentally corrupt (see, e.g., his scam foundation and “university”), he’s governing based on how Fox News reacts (see, e.g., his willingness on Wednesday to sign a clean funding bill and then his complete reversal on Thursday morning after Fox and Friends heavily criticized the decision), he’s horribly uninformed (remember the interview where he thought you could buy health insurance for a dollar a month?), he has eviscerated our long-time foreign alliances to the point that Mattis had to call him out on it in his resignation letter, he very clearly lied over and over again regarding his and his campaign’s interactions with Russian officials during the campaign and transition (after Russian officials committed multiple felonies on his behalf), he’s made numerous racist statements (“very fine people,” “****-hole countries,” etc.), etc. Even ignoring the rest of his policies (many of which are reprehensible), I just don’t see any way to deny that his administration is a disaster.

There’s little question at this point that Trump will go down in history as one of the worst presidents ever. Why can’t his supporters see that?

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

His supporters fall into a few categories. You have those who voted him in that will not be voting for him again. You also have his deplorables that will stand by him no matter what.
    They aren’t “patriots” or putting country first, they are just poorly educated racist people that believe Obama is Muslim and Kenyan.
    Thankfully most of the people that did vote Trump (that I know) aren’t impressed with his tweeting and rather he shut up and act like an adult. I don’t even think he needs to act presidential. He needs to act like an adult first before anyone mentions he isn’t presidential.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

You forgot the opportunists who want him to stay so they can pass tax cuts for the wealthy, get rid of the ACA, and pass more anti-environment, anti-consumer protection, anti-industrial oversight legislation. And of course, gut social security and screw over immigrants and the poor.

They almost universally think Trumplethinskin is a baffoon, but one they can use to their advantage.

4. Nhwhazup, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018

Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

What I don’t get are the average people that still love him. I ask what has he really done for you? And they reply - tax cuts. Okay, so what happens after a few more years when these tax cuts for the average Joe are gone? What happens when the deficit is so high that they go after SS and Medicare? Don’t count on your 401(k) to survive on - you see how well that’s doing. Hopefully if you are older, your kids will take you in. And you young ones, plan to take in your parents while planning ahead for your own retirement.

Most of the people I know that love Trump are decent human beings and would never act like him or allow any similar behavior in their organization. That’s another thing, I just don’t get.

And when you look at how the rest of the world thinks of Trump and the US - it’s really a joke. They just laugh at us. We shouldn’t be laughing - it’s a sad state of affairs. And it’s exhausting to turn on the news. Hoping we can survive until the next elections before too much damage is done.

5. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

This is a basic problem with democracy. People who have no clue on how to run a small business / a shack goes to choose the person to run the country. I don’t see this as a problem that surfaced in the recent years.

Democracy only works where the number of educated / enlightened people are so high that everyone is at equal level of thought process. That’s when collectively a society can make a right decision. We’re far far away from that as a civilisation.

Then again there are other benefits of democracy as well, which prevents dictatorship.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Lots of Americans are angry. The status quo doesn’t work for them.

7. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Die hard #MAGA crowd will never admit they made a mistake and right-wing infotainment clowns only care about owning the libs, by whatever means. Neither care about what comes after Trump.

8. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

That is a myth.
    Democracy is no grantee of preventing dictatorships.
    There is endless examples of failures in true democratic institutions becoming dictatorships.
    And it typically starts with a large population fed up the the current economic and political situation

9. RichardMZhlubb thread starter Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

As I’ve noted here before, I work with a former senator who is in frequent contact with both Democrats and Republicans on the Hill, and he tells me that 100 out of 100 current senators known that Trump is totally unfit for the office, but most of the the Republicans won’t say anything because they see him as a useful idiot who will do their bidding (and are afraid of the backlash from his base if they say what they really think about him). I have a sense that some of that has changed this week, between Trump’s 180 on the wall funding which totally pulled the rug out from McConnell and the Republicans who passed a clean CR on Wednesday with Trump’s support only to have him reject the idea on Thursday and Mattis’s resignation. I’m not sure what will come of it, but I would expect to see more open questioning of his leadership going forward.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

11. zin macrumors 6502

12. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

Whether you like President Donald J Trump or not, he shattered a serious glass ceiling. He did what only 42 other men in our country's history have done... He won the presidency. He did it on his first try and unlike every one of those other 42 men, he was not a career politician. He had held no elected office prior to winning the presidency.

Has President Trump had some missteps? Yes. Do I cringe when he tweets? Yes. Would I vote for him again? You are damn right I would. When was the last time that we had a politician run for office actually try and follow through on every campaign promise? Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Trump all promised to move the embassy in Israel to the capital. Who actually did it? He's taking on the companies that are outsourcing American jobs. This used to be an issue the Democrats wanted. Is it okay for Ford and GM to assemble their vehicles in Mexico and China where labor is cheaper, then ship them to the USA to sell them in our market with no penalty while the former autoworkers in 6 GM plants are asking if you want fries with that order?

Trump hasn't done everything right, but he's doing something that his predecessors didn't, he's trying. He isn't political correct. He's not a nice guy. He's President of the United States.

13. BorderingOn, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018

BorderingOn macrumors 6502

14. RichardMZhlubb thread starter Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

You are on the wrong side of history. (As for following through on every campaign promise, why are we about to close down the government because Democrats oppose having taxpayers pay for something Trump promised would be paid for by Mexico?)

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Running the country resembles running a business in what way?

16. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Well I guess I'm an uneducated racist in the eyes of some because I support the president... Trump 2020.

#staytriggeredmyfriends

17. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

This illustrates a basic problem with Trump. What does "taking on" mean? That he tweets angrily at them? That he says nasty things at his rallies? It's just not that simple. Outsourcing and globalization are complicated issues that require serious deliberation but Trump refuses to read more than a page at a time and actually brags about how he doesn't have to. It's "who knew healthcare was so complicated?" all over again. So his promise of "beautiful healthcare" was just an empty boast. He had no idea what to do.

Oh, and he still manufactures his clothing line outside the U.S.

18. akash.nu, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2018

akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

In a lot of ways, a country is a bigger scale business to some extent. It follows the basic supply and demand logic to begin with, plus the person running the country needs to take tough and often uncomfortable decisions to take the next step. Leading a business is in a lot ways similar to leading a country.

Nicely put. Outsourcing is NOT and I repeat, NOT a bad thing. Blanket statements and ignorance is only going to hurt both the outsourcing economy and the economy the work is being outsourced to.

Consumers don’t think that they have to pay more than twice the amount they’re paying for goods and services now if outsourcing was stopped completely. This will in turn slow down sells which will mean businesses will incur either less profit or loss, which means more company closures and job losses, which means economy going belly up!

People should start thinking! SERIOUSLY!

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I think you misunderstand what shattering the glass ceiling means. He has shattered nothing but the confidence of the rest of the world in our country.

20. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Is this really such an important thing to you?

Because it would seem to me that something that isn’t a symbolic gesture, like the two-state solution that he didn’t understand the difficulty of, or the beautiful ACA replacement that he failed to deliver, or the Mexican-funded border wall that he was just joking about that he now needs the taxpayer to pay for would be a little more important to people who voted for him.

How? By starting a trade war that’s raising prices for everyone and rattling the global economy? Just to help a handful of people out who were already enjoying record low levels of US unemployment?

Yay #winning.

21. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

might as well accept it, he'll be around for 2 terms for sure :sigh:

22. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

With the number of people who willingly reject reality just so they can support “their guy”, and avoid admitting a mistake, it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

good, maybe we can completely leave the M-E.

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That is entirely nonsensical. The dynamics of running a business are completely different from running a country. “Supply and demand” in a business is nothing like how it should be in a government calculation, and a government's relationship to its clients (depending on who you think those clients are) bears no resemblance to that of a profit-oriented business.

And, of course, the current US CEO got where he is by being a con man, so that is an even more dangerous situation.