Why can humans accomplish so much, but not get some basic things right?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by applefan289, Nov 16, 2011.

1. applefan289, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

applefan289 macrumors 68000

My take on this is that most of society is much better able to have the skills to accomplish external-oriented tasks, such as building a road or engineering.

I believe where society and humans lack is in the area of insight and internal/intellectual traits. This can be said for any society or "tribe". Humans seem to have a basic tribal instinct, where they fail to analyze the facts/reality and fail to really understand what is going on (not understand things just from their point of view, but from different points of view, and at least try to look at the facts).

People in general seem to put forth very little effort to have good judgment, do what is best for everyone, and understand what matters and what doesn't, etc.

Humans can achieve so much. Look at Apple, and all of the other inventions and advancements society has made. It's incredible. But the same people involved in those incredible achievements may get home and take out all their anger on their family. Or do drugs. Or run over people in business. This shows the disconnect between internal understanding/intelligence and external understanding/intelligence.

I feel that the reasons people turn out the way they do is because of many different factors: upbringing, experiences, genetics, development, etc.

But I have to believe that a 'lack of insight' is not completely do to these factors. I believe there is some choice involved. I believe people always have the choice of at least trying to look at the facts, and trying to understand things. The fact that most people don't shows that they either truly do not have insight, or are not putting forth internal efforts to come from a more rational point of view.

2. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

What you think is right and rational is just your own opinion, not incontrovertible fact.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

People are generally idiots. I find it's safer to assume they are until they prove otherwise. :D

What I think is right and rational is an incontrovertible fact. I declared myself infallible during an argument with a friend a few years back, people still try and argue I'm not without realising that they can't possibly succeed because I'm infallible.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

See my sig:D

I bow to your infallibility.;) I thought that I was infallible, but obviously I was wrong.:eek:

Even the pope is only infallible if he is speaking ex cathedra. You've got it all over the pope. I will, in the future, never question, or even dare to comment upon, anything that you write. :rolleyes::D

All Hail iStudentUK !!!

(If you share the secret iof infallibility with me, I'll make it worth your while. ;))

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I think we have made some real progress today.

Same time next week??

6. dime21 macrumors 6502

precisely. a social problem is usually neither black nor white, but some shade of gray. the "correct" result in your mind, depends entirely on what your individual values and priorities are.

an engineering problem on the other hand, has a distinct right and wrong answer. it doesn't matter how you were raised, what color your skin is, or what is your interpretation of the constitution.

7. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

It's actually a biological thing. Nowadays acting on pure emotion and not knowing what you're talking about makes you look stupid if you're having a conversation. But back in the day if your ancestors felt threatened, the fact they acted instead of analyzed saved their life. We have several thousand years of evolution to thank for this.

Grab a neuroscience book and look up the limbic system of the brain and learn how it works. Everytime you feel a threat, energy gets diverted from the prefrontal cortex (the rational part of your brain) to the limbic system. You essentially become more likely to survive at the expense of becoming dumber. This is that tribal instinct you're talking about. Better to agree and stay a part of the tribe than disagree and get kicked out the tribe and die. This also explains everything from mob mentalities to why a lot guys see a hot girl and can't put together a coherent sentence afterwards.

And if you want a cool exercise, pick up How to Win Every Argument by Madsen Pirie. It's a book of logical fallacies. Read it, then go watch Fox News or some pundit show, or come back and read a thread on this board and see how many you can spot. They're everywhere.

8. applefan289, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Nice post - I think everything points to evolutionary things. Humans don't seem to have adapted to the very fast-growing advancements of society. The evolutionary instincts have lagged far behind external-oriented advancements.

Something tells me humans have too much brain, and they get lost in issues because they don't have enough insight to handle things appropriately. But, as another poster said, what is appropriate or "right" depends on the person. On the other hand, however, if you get together a group of high level beings (think Einstein, Spinoza, etc.), you will find that they all had similar traits of maturity and insight, and, although they are different people with different ambitions, they share similar points of view and probably all of them would have a similar backbone as far as judgment, maturity, and insight.

Another idea is that, if everyone based their lives on reason/facts and reality without smudging their own warped behavior into the equation, everyone would technically be on the same page as far as rationality goes.

Nobody can ever take away their own "spin" on life. Everyone has their own personality and perception, but I feel that if the world tried to act based on reason (rather than selfishness and personal hangups), the world would be "one". By "one", I mean that everyone is at least trying to see reality and the facts, which brings people closer to the same mental state.

There should be many less differences in interpretations if people live by reason, rather than their own world. If there are misinterpretations, people would at least have enough insight at that point (if they live their life based on reason) to only react based on reason.

There are also people that don't want to have insight. They purposely block any understanding on certain issues because they don't want to hear the truth. But that's a whole other story.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm feeling much better now.:)

About the bill, the check is in the mail...:rolleyes: