Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yode

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Los Angeles
So I recently got an M1 MBP - my first mac. I've been using iOS for many years and am often airplaying videos from my phone to my AppleTV4K and it works great in terms of frame rates and stability. Using airplay was one of my main reasons in getting a macbook, but I'm so disappointed by how it works on MacOS.

The majority of the videos I'm streaming are "third party" sports streams. On iOS these videos always provide the airplay button on the video player and it's simple to get them going on my AppleTV4K or even directly to my TV itself. However, with the mac, the exact same streams on the exact same sites provide no option to airplay. The only option is to extend my whole display and then drag the window over and fullscreen it. This results in choppy playback.

I typically am streaming on FireFox (my preferred browser) but have the same issues when trying on Safari.

Why are the exact same streams able to airplay natively on my phone but not on my mac? Am I missing something or is there some extensions I can get that can force airplay on to these streams?

illadee

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2014
I haven't tested yet, but im exactly in the same boat as yode!

When videos show that airplay button it mostly works fine, but streaming my fotos for example on the tv screen, it often doesn't work fine, is choppy or airplay doesn't even start...

Hope it will improve now!

illadee

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2014
For me no change since the big updates:

Airplay from top right corner from the mac doesn't work, im sure it is because of the HomePod minis used as a tv speaker.....

Dont know why its working from youtube directly, no clue..

naix

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010
How can I get airplay to work on my iphone? I tried to watch a stream with airplay from my iphone to my apple tv 4k but it always freeze. I have iphone 12 with ios 14.4 and the new apple tv 4k with tvOS 15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.