iPhone 6(S)(+) Why can't i download iPhone videos to my Mac via a Lightning cable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alexjholland, Mar 11, 2018.

1. alexjholland macrumors 6502

alexjholland

I've shot 20 videos on my iPhone 6 that I need to edit on my MacBook Pro..

I'm in Indonesia, which has unreliable internet.

I don't want to read any mention of iCloud in content of transferring videos for as long as I live on this planet.

I have a fast Lightning cable that is - OBVIOUSLY - the best way to get videos from my iPhone onto my MacBook Pro.

Why can't I plug my phone in and browse the videos?

A cheap Chinese camera for $20 has this functionality. Why doesn't my iPhone?

Neither MacOS Photos or Image Capture are showing any videos or photos visible from my iPhone.

I am extremely tired of reading comments written by deluded journalists and developers who think the entire world has 100MB connections that allow them to send videos straight to a server and back, on a whim.

It will take my hours to upload my videos to iCloud. I need them NOW.

I'm honestly surprised Apple hire developers of such low calibre and cultural awareness that they aren't aware of the reality of internet speeds outside metropolitan America.

The cloud is NOT a suitable solution for moving videos between devices in a LARGE area of the world.

Jeez.

2. pascaladjaero macrumors newbie

Similar reasons made me use symbian os back in the day. Went ahead with Android and windows as well because some things just leave you a bit confused ...
    Some of the easiest tasks that dirt cheap devices can accomplish cannot be easily accomplished in the same manner on some (most?) Apple devices. I'm on and off, I use the iPhone for about a month and I just get tired... I leave, return and I'm left a bit disappointed because some things are still off.
    Some users might never have these issues because they have access to facilities that make their iPhone experience 'awesome' and for some the experience is not so great.
    Last I remember, I was able to drag and drop files (and sync videos) using iTunes and I got tired of the whole thing

3. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

alexjholland

'If you don't live in a country that can afford high-speed internet, we will shaft you'.
    - Apple.

4. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Open up Image Capture and drag them to your desktop? This works for me. I have no idea what setting you are using that is preventing your videos from being displayed, but I assure you they show up on image capture after connecting my iPhone to my mac.

5. ericwn macrumors 68020

iTunes isn’t used to import videos onto a computer though. Image Capture it Photos in a Mac does that.

6. mikzn, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018

mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

You should be able to use the "Photos app" to transfer your videos to the MAC with the photos app using the iPhone cable

Another option is to use Preview to view and then drag the video files from preview to the desk top - both options should work when connected with the iPhone cable. - Choose < File< "Import Form iPhone" and search in the "Kind" column for MOV files (you can sort by kind).

7. Jaap macrumors member

It can be difficult to get the Mac to recognize the iPhone.
    Steps to try:
    - Reboot the Mac
    - Unlock the iPhone
    - Plug the cable directly into the Mac (not in a hub)
    - Plug it into the iPhone too
    - Wait for the iPhone to ask you if you trust this computer. Iphone must be unlocked, on the homescreen for this.
    - Use "Image Capture" on the Mac to import.

8. Byzanti macrumors newbie