Why can't I find the 15.4" MBP with the high-res screen upgrade anywhere?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xander7, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Xander7 macrumors newbie

Jun 13, 2010
    I live in Canada, and no stores seem to sell any configuration that includes this upgrade. I'm more comfortable purchasing my laptop from a store than the online Apple Store. Is this true for locations in the states as well? I would like to get my MBP sometime in the next month or so, is it looking like I'll have to purchase it online?
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    Stores don't keep all configurations in stock. Order it online. It doesn't take that long to receive it.
  3. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2008
    Some Apple stores (note: official apple stores, no authorized reseller will) carry the high end 15" model with the HR AG screen. With that said, what's the matter with buying it online directly from apple? It's totally safe and basically the only way you'll get one with the high res screen.
  4. JodyK macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2010
    Northern Atlanta suburbs
    Purchase it directly from Apple online store and if you just hate the high res screen take it back to your local apple store (here I am assuming you have one near you) and explain to them that they didn't have one in stock for you to see and you went out on a limb and bought one.

Hope this helps.
  5. Reapur macrumors regular

May 5, 2010
    Where in Canada ?
  6. Plutonius macrumors 604

Feb 22, 2003
    New Hampshire
    The 15" high res fonts are tiny. Many people are not bothered by the font size but many are.

Don't order it on-line until you check it out in person.
  7. Orbane macrumors member

Apr 28, 2010
    Depending on the configuration you want, your only option might be to purchase online. I know for example, that it's extremely rare for a store to carry high res glossy models; most only offer the matte in high res, and it's normally the top-end model specs-wise as well.

Like many have said already, at least try to have a look at (any) high res model in store to see if the font sizes are manageable for you before you purchase online!

Good luck with your purchase.
  8. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2008
    If you're nearly blind maybe.
  9. Xander7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 13, 2010
    Thanks for the responses guys. I live pretty close to Vancouver, BC, and I think there is an Apple Store or two there. I guess I could give them a call to see if they have any in stock that I could check out.
  10. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2008
    There's two in Vancouver. One in Pacific Center downtown; the other's in Oakridge Center ( 650 West 41st avenue).
  11. animan macrumors member

May 1, 2010
    The Apple Store in the Valley Fair Mall in Santa Clara usually has several of the 15" HiRes AG models in stock. I recently exchanged one. But then, they are just a few miles from Cupertino :D
  12. banalelectric macrumors member

May 22, 2010
    I know for a fact they have a 15" i7 hi-res AG on display at the Oakridge store. It took me three visits and an unhealthy amount of deliberation to finally decide to go with the 17" AG instead.

Hi-res is the only proper way to get an anti-glare display so I basically just had to cross my fingers and hope that I don't completely ruin my eyesight on these tiny menu fonts. So far, no regrets, and no glasses either. ;)
  13. longball11 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2009
    L ... O ... L ... WHAT? which?
  14. Reapur macrumors regular

May 5, 2010
    You havnt been to the Apple store? That would be the place to get it. If you are trying Best Buy or Futureshop you will not find anything but "base model" Macs there.

The Apple Stores in the Toronto area stock every configuration as long as you dont mind getting the stock hard drives. They will upgrade ram for you at time of purchase. I bought my 17" i7 and with antiglare screen from the store and bought a 7200rpm hard drive from NewEgg.ca and installed it myself.
  15. Xander7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 13, 2010
    Yeah, I'm thinking of getting the base 15.4" but with the resolution upgrade (no anti-glare). It seems to me to be the only wothwhile upgrade that won't break my student-sized bank.
  16. LedCop macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2008
    In this world of 6 billion people, 3 billion can't stand the hi-res screen but 3 billion swear by it. Therefore, many people are not bothered by the font size but many are. ;)
  17. fattakin macrumors newbie

May 27, 2010
    I recieved my first ever Mac on Friday, the 15" i5 HR AG.

The screen is stunning, i was a little worried about fonts etc as people have discussed.

Now I am a complete OSX noob but on any website I find the fonts a little small I just 'pinch out' and the font gets bigger, job done in 0.5 of a second!
  18. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Apr 7, 2010
    London, UK
    If you really want the AG its worth waiting until you can afford it and paying that (relatively) little extra. If your'e getting a student discount then that would help. I do think its worthwhile in making sure you get the right configuration for your needs especially if your'e going to have it for years. Saying that, if you like the gloss then go for it.

IMO the AG is easier on the eye if you read alot of text and where lighting conditions are out of your control eg. lecture halls, libraries, classrooms etc. I'm not getting into a AG vs Gloss debate though as there's way too many threads on this already.
  19. tim100 macrumors 65816

May 25, 2009
    all 17s are high res
  20. banalelectric macrumors member

May 22, 2010
    Yup, meaning that I was either getting a high-res 15" or a 17"--i.e. I was going to have to get used to the smaller fonts one way or another.
  21. calvy macrumors 65816

Sep 17, 2007
    I bought a 15" hi res antiglare in the St Louis apple store a few weeks ago. Love it.