Why can't I get 5.1 audio out of my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marklight, May 11, 2008.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

I hook it up to my bose surround system via optical out. When I play movies in front row I don't think I'm getting true surround sound- I think my receiver is just duplicating channels. And my base doesn't sound like it's pumping the way it should be.

I'm comparing all of this from experiences with apple tv which definitely is throwing out a 5.1 signal.

I've gone into audio midi setup. And when I try to configure multichannel it only lets me select stereo. - I was thinking I'd be able to at least send out a signal to each speaker to see if it's working properly.

Any ideas?

2. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i think the only app that supports 5.1 is dvd player... am i wrong?

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Are you using digital/optical out?

and as far as i know, ditto the above. I believe it only works in DVD player.

4. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I am using optical out. - I thought you get get 5.1 out of front row (QT)

5. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

For Quicktime, it depends on the source and the codec. If you are using Perian, you have the option to set the audio output to Stereo, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II, or Multi-Channel Output.

6. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

Well i am using Perian, but i was just wondering why in the midi audio setup- i couldn't select 5.1 in the speaker configuration so I could test each speaker.

7. maddogeco macrumors member

do mbps have a optical out? or is that a usb add on?

8. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

THey have a combination mini stereo jack and it also works with an optical converter. You need to buy the optical converter- It plugs into the mini stereo jack. The Mac Mini has it also.